Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does internal cables replacement changes the sound od speakers ?

Does internal cables replacement changes the sound od speakers ?

Hi,
    I had the opportunity to purchase L300. the internal cables have been completly replaced by.... I imagine, supposedly "better" cables ....
    What do you think ? does it affect the overall result ? does it improves it ?
    Name:  Internal.jpg
Views: 1791
Size:  158.3 KB

Its relative to the rest of your system...?

I have made some cables using Cat 9 and using individual insulated strands made a cable similar to Kimber design and used bi wiring from the crossover network all the way back to the amp for the woofer / mids and highs.

Another option is to loom the strands around a narrow hollow core of dielectric.

I can vouch that on a reference system (Lavy Dac and Pass labs amplifiers) the bass , mid range and highs took on a more life like quality in that separate notes could be more easily delineated.

Get rid of the old crappy JBL connectors and put in some new binding posts that have at least gold plating.

The binding posts on the stock JBL 4345 crossover network were steel or an alloy akin to a roofing nail so I replaced them!

The terminals on most JBL drivers are of similar construction!

I regard terminations as more important than wire as dirty or poor conductors do not pass electrons efficiently.

In that respect keep your wiring short.

Also have a look at the Nelson Pass crossover upgrade

www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_l300.pdf

"I regard terminations as more important than wire as dirty or poor conductors do not pass electrons efficiently."

+1

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    "I regard terminations as more important than wire as dirty or poor conductors do not pass electrons efficiently."

+1
    +2

Widget

Terminals have been changed aswell.... (see pic) I was assuming that there is no "good cables in themselves" but "good in a system".... that is to say if the overall tend to be bright adding new cables can shift the averall sound to even brighter.... as in two much.... for instance...
    Name:  Serial 22424.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  138.0 KB

With these particular JBLs the integration of the woofer and horn is sub optimal in that the dispersion of the woofer and the horn is dis continuous and there are significant response irregularities in the vicinity of the crossover point.

The effect is that the horn can sound well like a horn on certain kinds of music.

These speakers sound good on rock and roll but are not accurate on classical music.

So within the constraints of the design don't expect to make a silk purse out of a sours ear by thinking that cable or other upgrades will work wonders.

It won't but you will have fun trying!

Quote Originally Posted by davidpou View Post
    Hi,
    I had the opportunity to purchase L300. the internal cables have been completly replaced by.... I imagine, supposedly "better" cables ....
    It certainly does.i'm not sure it will improve but will lost the taste ineed
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by davidpou View Post
    Hi,
    No, unless they messed up the polarity of one or more of the drivers when they did it.

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    It certainly does.i'm not sure it will improve but will lost the taste ineed
    The OEM internal wiring is rather UN-impressive.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post

Get rid of the old crappy JBL connectors and put in some new binding posts that have at least gold plating.
    In the interest of being argumentative:
    Gold is not that great of a conductor. What it does more than anything is bump the price of connectors that are plated with it. It's actually easier to get a poor connect with gold than with several other metals. What gold DOES offer is the absence of corrosion or patina developing over time. Plain old nickel is a better conductor, (even silver if you want to go nuts). Brushed nickel connectors offer a good solid connect, don't corrode and cost less. Even cheap chrome on steel will give you as good a connection as gold.

But I agree completely that connects are more important than wire, and that JBL has used some pretty poor connects over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    ... JBL has used some pretty poor connects over the years.
    Oh, like the lowest bidder, afterthought ones up till the 80's ??

The infamous spring loaded push types that couldn't take more than 20 ga. wire ?
    or the "improved" twist-lock (twist & break) from many of the "A" variations that
    were also limited to small ga. wire ? Or even the modern-ish knurled knob , long shaft
    specials ? Or even the more modernish 5 ways on my 250Ti's that have trouble taking 12 ga. , so that I have to use banana plugs ?

Even with all the past junk connectors/internal wires and the speakers still sounded fine.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    The OEM internal wiring is rather UN-impressive.
    Which OEM internal wiring JBL used?We found old West Electric hard wire is very good for old speakers such as LS3/5A,JBL,ALTEC,JENSEN ,TANNOY、CELESTION,EV etc.so the old old West Electric hard wire is getting more and more expensive in Chinese audio market
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    46 lover

more examples
    46 lover

more....
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    In the interest of being argumentative:
    Gold is not that great of a conductor. What it does more than anything is bump the price of connectors that are plated with it. It's actually easier to get a poor connect with gold than with several other metals. What gold DOES offer is the absence of corrosion or patina developing over time. Plain old nickel is a better conductor, (even silver if you want to go nuts). Brushed nickel connectors offer a good solid connect, don't corrode and cost less. Even cheap chrome on steel will give you as good a connection as gold.

But I agree completely that connects are more important than wire, and that JBL has used some pretty poor connects over the years.
    What gold DOES offer is the absence of corrosion or patina developing over time

Agreed and corrosion is the issue, ie car battery won't start

Incidentially and in the interests of been a PITA, check out the WBT or Cardas connectors

Thread Information