Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4365 vs S4700 if both had active crossover

4365 vs S4700 if both had active crossover

This is not an attempt to start a war between these two speakers - that has happened enough!

But something has made me curious about all the discussions about the two speakers. It has been said that the drivers in the 4365 is better than the S4700 but the S4700 is more musical. So this must mean that the improvements to the S4700 lies in the crossover.

What if one had both speakers, ripped out the internal crossover and did active bi-amping on them. (I know that you must know the presets etc, but for the sake of the discussion lets assume that you had presets so both drivers in the two speakers followed a perfect slope around their crossover frequency).

How do you think the comparison would turn out by doing this? Would you still think the driver combo in the S4700 will be more musical? I know these questions are in theory, but could be interesting to hear some thoughs on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h View Post
    This is not an attempt to start a war between these two speakers - that has happened enough!

But something has made me curious about all the discussions about the two speakers. It has been said that the drivers in the 4365 is better than the S4700 but the S4700 is more musical. So this must mean that the improvements to the S4700 lies in the crossover.

What if one had both speakers, ripped out the internal crossover and did active bi-amping on them. (I know that you must know the presets etc, but for the sake of the discussion lets assume that you had presets so both drivers in the two speakers followed a perfect slope around their crossover frequency).

How do you think the comparison would turn out by doing this? Would you still think the driver combo in the S4700 will be more musical? I know these questions are in theory, but could be interesting to hear some thoughs on it.
    Very good suggestion,waiting for the results.but it is better that not only apply active crossover but using DSP(EQ) just like M2 as well.
    46 lover

Are you buying a new pair or buying the parts and make the cabs yourself?

/Mostly

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    Very good suggestion,waiting for the results.but it is better that not only apply active crossover but using DSP(EQ) just like M2 as well.
    Well, that it what I ment. I dont see how you can do active crossover without DSP?

Quote Originally Posted by Mostlydiy View Post
    Are you buying a new pair or buying the parts and make the cabs yourself?

/Mostly
    If I were to go that route, I would buy new speakers.

Not every active xo has dsp function.

I think Bubbleboy76 in Gothenburg, Sweden has a pair of 4365 for sale if he hasnt sold them already.

/Mostly

Quote Originally Posted by Mostlydiy View Post
    Not every active xo has dsp function.

I think Bubbleboy76 in Gothenburg, Sweden has a pair of 4365 for sale if he hasnt sold them already.

/Mostly
    But if you rip out the passive x-over for a speaker, the probability that you'll need DSP is pretty large.

But back on topic.

But if you rip out the passive x-over for a speaker, the probability that you'll need DSP is pretty large.
    Yes, but thats not how I read your question.

I assume you are going this way and I have to say that Im interested to try it out myself some day but with some other speakers.

Unfortunately 4313B left the forum before he and GT got around to post DSP configurations for other speakers, including the 4365.

Its very hard to say which one would end up the winner but if I were to speculate I believe the 4365 would come out on top mostly because the 476Mg driver. Then its the apperence to consider. If you prefer the blue monitor look the 4365 is the obvious choice. I think the 4365 is a bit larger though.

Quite uniteresting, but if it were me I would probably want the bass driver in the S4700 coupled with the horns and compressiondrivers of the 4365.

And please dont put to much weight on what I say, I have not heard any of the speaker, Im just speculating. I say this because as you say, these speakers has had some beef in the past on this forum.

/Mostly

Thanks for your input! I was actually thinking that you could bypass the internal x-over completely and go 100% active. I already own the BSS Soundweb, so that could be used. But another way is to do it as described in the post you are linking too. Probably an improvement as well.

Generally, I am a little confused about the JBL line-up. Its not very linear. You have a bunch of products in the same price range and not a clear definition of how they differ. Especially after the M2 has been put into their Synthesis line-up. Is the M2 above or below the SK2-3300 and above or belov the K2-S9900 for example?

I was actually thinking that you could bypass the internal x-over completely and go 100% active
    Of course you can but then you are more or less on your own trying to configure a well working xo. And thats not very easy.

I believe the M2 and the K2 are made for different markets mostly. The K2 beeing a top of the line consumer speaker and the M2 a tool for the professional market. The Sk2-3300 is more or less made for HT I believe.

/Mostly

You could do it easy enough just by starting with the original voltage drives from the passive crossover. Then you could tweek from there as Greg was doing. All you need is a decent crossover program like LEAP to get the original voltage drives from.

As far as which on is better?? I would think they could be made to sound very similar. With the 476Mg you really don't even need a tweeter above it as it will go all the way out to 20K.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

4365 recently won a test against K2 S4700 in a japanese hifi-magazine, "more dynamic".

Yes, my 4365s are for sale. They are too big in our livingroom according to my wife. We want to switch to 4429 instead.

Soundwise, the 4365 is absolutely amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    4365 recently won a test against K2 S4700 in a japanese hifi-magazine, "more dynamic".

Yes, my 4365s are for sale. They are too big in our livingroom according to my wife. We want to switch to 4429 instead.

Soundwise, the 4365 is absolutely amazing.
    Which japanese magazine?
    I have interesting in your 4365,but it is too far away
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    Which japanese magazine?
    I have interesting in your 4365,but it is too far away
    It was you posting about the article some time ago, wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    It was you posting about the article some time ago, wasn't it?
    Yes,I thought you have another article
    46 lover

Test JBL S4700

Sorry it is in Norwegian.
    Use Google translator.

Thread Information