Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4313B's 066 in need of a miracle...

Red face Next move: in speakers wiring

Hi fellows,
    slow progress, but progress anyway. Next move: in speakers wiring. Maybe only one at a time, so I can do A/B comparaisons as a feature of my slow work.
    And need a budget to buy 9V batteries! (They cost an arm here, don't know if it's worldwide the same... )

Name:  100_2769.JPG
Views: 1044
Size:  151.5 KB

Unhappy And here comes Murphy's law...

Ok guys,

finished it today.
    Checked Xo and 9V several times, looked fine. But it is not ='(
    One speaker works fine but the other do not: HF is not/or barley working (mids to noisy for me to say) and high frequencies are played in full by the mids! The stereo image is unbalanced and that's how I've found the problem.

Right now I've lost any courage to touch it, I'm so sad I'm rewarded of all this work by a problem.

What have I done to my beloved speakers... stupid me!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Don't worry, you just need a little time and method to track the problem down and I am sure your speakers will sing like never before!

Wish I could send you some functional ugly 066's just to plug and play

Cool Soooooo good!

Thanks for kind words Pos and Audiobeer!

I now have spare 066s, ugly but Ok, wich I don't want to use after a quick comparaison a few months back. Maybe I am now used to the -tamed with L-pad- 035Ti, maybe they sound better for real. Anyway I enjoy my Ti more than the 066 and can switch back anytime

As for today I've done as advised by Pos. And tracked down my mistake. I've mixed the red and orange wires to L-pads... Too concentrated on solder quality to mind wires color .

Now:

First this is no subtle improvement, even if I claim as usual that I don't know wich mod brought the main gain, XO parts, CC, binding posts, wiring...
    It is clearer than another CD player for wich you need to have a listening in front of the speakers, with these new XO you can hear the difference in another room.

Prior to these JBL I had several speakers mods in my past and for some it was for a different sound even sometimes (Quad 11L) for worst and needed more changes. Here the 4313B stayed being 4313B, just better. Everything is clearer, all intruments more separated and easier to listen to.
    Verdi, Requiem conducted by Fricsay, a mono record, is less messy as it was, Steely Dan, Peg, I can follow the bass easily, and that bass player is good!
    Drum kick is now punchy and clean, and that was already not bad. Low volume listening are more of my taste now.
    And so on, I am happy, the work was worth it and give more sound quality gain than I´ve expected.
    Do it guys, these speakers still have power under the throttle pedal!

The 4313Ti are just fantastic for old speakers, the 3000€ Kef R500 of a friend were already not as good as the non-CCed' ones, now I wonder if I'll loose a friend for ever

Sad I can't edit, new answer.
    Side effect, seems it plays less loud, I want to turn it louder almost each time now. Wonder if amp gives less power (impendance changed?) or if biased networks made the speakers less efficient...

Faulty amp came in, a Lpad fried...
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post401618

so boring...

A bit of EQ?

As pointed by POS, from G. Timbers, here:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ctive-biamping, one can compensate the woofer roll-off at the bass-reflex resonant frequency. (AFA I understand it).
    Here is my take on the same type of boost for the 4313B -http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post122565- using parametric EQ in Moode Audio on my Raspberry Pi. It's higher in frequency as the 4313B is tuned higher, a tad less boost and a bit steeper curve to match "by the eye" what's on the FR curve of the 4313B. Of course I need to use some attenuation to simulate the attenuation curve in LF.
    Maybe I should also cut the boost higher in the lower frequencies, really don't know, it's now 0dB@28Hz and some boost at 30Hz which is quite low for the LE10H... too low? Don't want to damage anything when I'll be testing!

Name:  Capture d’écran 2019-05-02 à 21.07.36.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:  Capture d’écran 2019-05-02 à 20.43.45.png
Views: 644
Size:  52.8 KB

As after a while I'm lost in what I've done in my gear I always write it down. here it is, if that can be of help for anyone, one day; charge-coupled 4313B network/crossover (3113B) and the L-Pad-less version for the 035Ti (so my very own 4313Ti, less attenuation for the 066, just ask and we'll calculate). The last one has to be tested one day... (or not, is it worth the hassle when they sound terrific?). Attenuation values are calculated ones for now, not real life ones. According to the fact a single dB is barely audible they should be very close to spot on values.

4313B_3113BCCed.pdf

4313Ti_3113CCed_NoLPad.pdf

L-Pads settings note sheet

Hello guys, I've tried few things on my L-Pads so I've made a sheet to write the settings down. Maybe someone will find it useful. Enjoy the music, Matthieu 4313B L-Pads settings sheet

Thread Information