Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JBL 4311 behaviour: nomal or faulty units?

From my technical manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member "4313B" has answered this question 100 times already that I know of, AND posted a chart indicating correct woofer behavior (in or out) when wired properly (all the 4310, L100 and derivatives).
    The last woofer used in the LATE version L100A (123A-3) is the opposite from all the others, I do know that (VC winding) so the WIRES will look ass backwards inside the box.
    I have searched for you but so far can't find the chart.
    I printed myself a copy but can't find that either.
    Most useful that chart; should be a "sticky".
    I think this is the millionth time this subject has come up with this family of 3-ways!

IF I remember correctly, ALL of the L100s when properly wired (forget about colors) will have an OUTWARD cone excursion with the battery test (POS on "RED" at the speaker hookup terminals)
    As for the 43xx models I seem to remember there was at least one exception.
    Hopefully "4313B" will see this and answer your question as to what is the correct wiring.

Thomas

Thanks =) , sadly it seems that these infos from member 4343B are drown into millions of threads, I haven't found these.
    If anyone can point the posts or threads that would be great.

I still can't seem to find the link to the original thread and post by "4313B".
    This is all I have for now.
    Thomas
    Note: It would appear that my original comment regarding ALL variations of the L100 woofer cone movement (ALL versions moving OUTWARD) may have been made in error based on the information found in this chart. I still think (seem to remember some discussion) that there's more information (data) on this as a companion to this piece and there MAY be a typo involved somehow? Also, the tweeters shown for the L100A, the LATE L100A should be the LE25, not the LE20-1. HF and MF appear to have been inadvertently switched while making up this chart as well. The original vertical L100 did use the LE20-1 tweeter (Alnico) as well as the C533 as far as I know (I would assume). ALL models did use the LE5-2 MID if the tech sheets are true. Sorry my memory is so faulty on the subject. I still don't know with certainty if my Late L-100As are wired correctly; the color coding also changed during the 3 production runs and the "tech" sheets don't identify the actual driver terminals to use (like the owner's manuals do).

Update on the 4311's sanity

As it was pointed -prior to any troubleshooting- that theses speakers may not be of my taste, well right now I don't feel the need of building a crossover or such. I'm really pleased with the sound!
    Yes it can have been clearer in the mids and a bit too much on "s" and "f" but it does rock! I think it's more an amp question now. Played a bit with a Sansui AU999, nice and round bass, even if not too deep sadly, made it a pleaseure to listen to at very low level. Highs and image are not that clear, my TK2050 amp does it better there, bass are more extended but tighter and/or less present. Will try some more, maybe more powerfull than these 50wpc amps... a TA3020...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information