Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: The Las Vegas Audio Club

Well Dave might be out of the picture for a while but the friendships and interest remain so we are going to let it fly at my house this Saturday.

It looks like 13 people RSVP'd so far.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Morning, Barry,

Dang, I'm sorry to hear about Dave's medical problems, and wish him all the very best in his recovery, if such an outlook is possible. I am also sorry that there were problems between the two of you, and well remember when he wasn't that keen on Cynthia and I coming over to join you Gentlemen a while back. I truly appreciate your having gone to bat for us, and it was good to meet you, and Dave, and the others that fun day!! It was also good to see Dave and talk to him about his allowing us to attend as a visitor. He seemed to soften his previous stance on that front, and I was quite pleased to see that happen. In any case, all water under the bridge, and I surely do hope that Dave can recover, and return to the club, even if not the driving force anymore.

I also wish that we could join you all at future club meetings, and hope to do so, someday. You have a great group, and meeting you all, and other visitors, such as Jeff, was a real pleasure!! I'll never forget Cynthia's joy when you fired up that huge system of yours!! Though she has never been a fan of super loud music, she was totally, and completely in deep love of your big JBL setup! Even across the street a ways, she was dancing away, and having a blast listening to your creation!!! The JBL's were great, the food was great, and the people were great!! A wonderful day, all around! Thanks, again, for hosting that event, and thank you for continuing to keep the JBL LV club alive and well!! Much appreciated, on all fronts, my friend! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Hi Mark!

This should be fun.

I am glad we left a positive impression with you. That was a real fun get together and I am really glad you all came.

I will let you know how this one goes.

Wish you were here,
    Barry.

Alrighty then!

Well the meet was a ton of fun. For food I did the same thing as when JeffW and DocMark were here and had Cappriotti's cater. MMM!

One thing I have learned is that obviously people demo stuff that sounds good on there systems. I get that, why wouldn't you. But one thing I have also noticed is that people will avoid, sometimes wildly, playing content that might show their system lacking. Man I am so glad I don't have to worry about that with the 4365's! Don't get me wrong, I still think that I may never fully love a violin reproduced on a horn or a sax reproduced on a cone but these do it all pretty damn well.

There was a lot of interest in the big amps. Most had never seen the Techron 7570 / Crown M600's so I shared their history and what mine are configured / modded for. I told them that I had pulled a four wire 220V 30Amp dedicated circuit just for them and that they will deliver 2kW each from DC to 40kHz into virtually any 2 Ohm load, one of the guys actually said that that scared him and maybe he shoud get out of the way. I had to really try not to laugh and I assured him that I had no intention of blasting them out.

We started out with a live accapella version of James Taylor's "Walk Down That Lonesome Road" from James Taylor Live followed by the Beatles "Because" frome the Love album.

One of the gals here grabbed the guy who takes most of the pictures at these meetings (and who by the way was the only other person here that has previously heard the 4365's) and directed his attention to the gapes and looks of utter astonishment on the faces of the group hearing these voice only track being reproduced at live levels with the authority and clarity that seemingly only a large format horn can do. They just sound so big.

The great part of voice only is that everyone knows what voices sound like and getting a seamless transition from a horn down into cone driver is not easy, and the 4365's do it very well.

I ran tracks for about an hour and then just tuned it over to the group. Some brought vinyl and some CD's but most used phones and other digital players and the like.

Unlike a lot of our meetings, no one left early, and no one suggested that maybe better interconnects or magic power cords might help. In fact no one broke off into other rooms like usual for conversation and what I did hear between changeover from the guys various playback devices and material were thing like "did you ever think speakers like that could sound like that?!?" And "I can't believe the low level detail of those monster amps."

Now please don't get me wrong, I am not trying to say that any of my gear it top tier and that there isn't room for improvement, especially in the front end of my system. What I am saying is that the 4365's exceeded everyones expectations by a wide margin, and that is very cool.

We kind of threw this meeting together and judging by the turnout I believe that what Dave worked so hard on creating will continue to thrive and grow. I also truly hope that he will be able to rejoin us and see that we have been good stewards of the LVAC in his absence.

I will advance the next time we get together at my place much sooner as I would sure love to see some of my friends here at Lansing again.

As always, if you ever get out here to the land of lunatics that is Las Vegas and have a mind to, give me a yell and come on over!

All the best,
    Barry.

Sounds like an all-around success Barry. Keep up the great work!
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

I'd love to hear your system!

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    As always, if you ever get out here to the land of lunatics that is Las Vegas and have a mind to, give me a yell and come on over!
    I would also love to hear your system(s). My wife and I will be out there in three years for my 10th wedding anniversary. Can't wait for this and In-and-Out Burgers!

Thanks,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by srm51555 View Post
    I would also love to hear your system(s). My wife and I will be out there in three years for my 10th wedding anniversary. Can't wait for this and In-and-Out Burgers!

Thanks,
    Scott
    In-and-Out isn't all that special, but Barry... he's got some cool toys.

Widget

Good Morning, Barry,

Many thanks for an excellent report on your get together! I sure wish we could have been there again, as I know we would have LOVED the JBL's, amps, and fellowship, not to mention the outstanding comestibles, as we had last time! Well done for keeping this thing going, and I am sure that Dave will approve of how things turned out, and be proud that his baby still lives! Hopefully, as you so rightly said, he can return and join in the fun again. Yes, please do keep us all posted, in advance, of future Club meetings, as Cynthia and I would love to come and visit again. Hopefully, Jeff can make it as well, as it would be great to see you, him, and the other nice folks we met the first time around. Thanks, again, for your report, and for your efforts to keep this group together! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Last time I was out there, I stayed at the MGM. I knew there was an In-N-Out Burger just across I-15, but I wasn't driving this time. I spent a Saturday tooling around town with Barry, and we stopped at one way out north of town, closer to the Speedway. In the middle of the afternoon, well past lunch hour, that place was standing room only. Since there are none out in this part of the world, I snagged a tee shirt.

So yeah, the burgers weren't anything to write home about, but I'm the only kid on my block with a Las Vegas In-N-Out tee shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    In-and-Out isn't all that special, but Barry... he's got some cool toys.
    Widget
    Yes he does. I bet having a desert right next to you presents the opportunity to have some more unique toys, restoring the wild west in all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    ....but I'm the only kid on my block with a Las Vegas In-N-Out tee shirt.
    Me too. In-and-Out on the West Coast is to Cluvers is to the Midwest. MMM........Cheese Curds.

hi guys,

thanks a mil for all of your well wishes! much appreciated.

i had a stroke back in dec of last year. i am now at my 4th hospital. yeah, it sucks.

i have paralysis in my left arm. i'm ok everywhere else.

however, i have a very swollen and painful right foot which makes walking a no go for now. i should have been walking by now but all that has been done is to pump me full of diuretics.

as for the club....i have a little something in the works, but i can't do it without you guys and the other members. you see, the lvac wasnever about me, it is and will be about all of us and the camaraderie.

take care and talk to you soon,

-dave
    S4700 owner.

Damn good to see you getting back up to speed, Dave. Here's to a full recovery!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_72 View Post
    hi guys,

thanks a mil for all of your well wishes! much appreciated.

i had a stroke back in dec of last year. i am now at my 4th hospital. yeah, it sucks.

i have paralysis in my left arm. i'm ok everywhere else.

however, i have a very swollen and painful right foot which makes walking a no go for now. i should have been walking by now but all that has been done is to pump me full of diuretics.

as for the club....i have a little something in the works, but i can't do it without you guys and the other members. you see, the lvac wasnever about me, it is and will be about all of us and the camaraderie.

take care and talk to you soon,

-dave
    here's an update...on july 27th, i suffered from cardiac arrest, so now a stroke and cardiac arrest in less than a year...

anyway, if or when i make it home, the club will begin a new. a fresh new start, like the proverbial phoenixrising from the ashes of once was...

look for a major announcement if everything goes as planned. at http://lasvegasaudioclub.blogspot.com

however, i am still accepting memberships if anyone is interested.

thank you for your time in reading this. keep rockin those bad ass jbls!

-dave
    S4700 owner.

God Speed Dave

Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Thread Information