Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: S3900 is better than S4700???

Quote Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
    Just read the specs of the S4700, it says 300Watts(RMS), it means that one can use 600Watts of amp power and run continous in 300Watts, if this dosen't open up the S4700, the I don't know what will. Lend me a a pair of S4700 and I will let them sing when connected with one Crown MAi5000 amp
    If you want S4700 works like a PA box,then connect it to your Crown MAi5000
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    Martin, this is another of several threads where you're taking people's rankings as gospel. They are not. Reviewers, users, who cares, an absolute "rank" is stupid. Speakers are a very personal thing and it's natural for some people to prefer one over another. It's like a jigsaw puzzle- the listener is one piece, the speaker is another, and the room a third, and the amp/system a fourth. One speaker might fit the puzzle better, even if the other speaker has a "bigger" piece (more potential when optimized). Rankings are meaningless at a completed speaker system level. Now, for tweeters being evaluated for a specific platform, there might be an absolute best.
    HIFI system is a jigsaw puzzle,very good metaphor
    but why do we read stereophile?because we want to compare,we need to know in the same system which one is the best,and the conclusion is not made by one person,but by a group of experts
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_72 View Post
    Exactly right. I couldn't agree more. My question(s) to you are first of all, is how much better are the K2s than the S4700s? Secondly, is it worth upgrading to the K2s. Or should I just stay where I'm at and quit worrying about it!
    Dave,forget K2,just focus on your S4700,S4700 is good enough.
    there is no bad speakers,only bad system
    K2 means better CD player,better amp and much more cost

but i heard somenoe say,9900 is easy to sound good,not 66000.66000 is a monster
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    I will support Martin in this. I find that the Mc's are uncomfortable with large woofers with large voice coils (2KW model is an exception). It sounds "sluggish" IMO. I have not tried the S4700, but with the S9800. (2KW model is an exception).
    I think Mc's is powerful enough,but lack of some exquisite and elegance.
    46 lover

I see. Thanks for the explanation. Which brands of amps would you recommend?
    Please pay some atttion to some europe brand
    46 lover

No problem. You're entitled to your opinion. Yes, probably a lack of break in time, I suppose. As well as placement and the room. The amps sound ok. Not exactly sure on all of this as I wasn't there, however.

I have found that these speakers are a bit finicky. They need a long break in time, and proper placement is a must. They sound best well away from the side walls, and very little toe-in, imo. I have them about 2 feet from the back wall, and surprisingly bass is deep but not boomy.

Anyway, when you were there did you listen to the K2 9900s? Just curious.
    Dave,i have to tell you,your break in time is far less enough.
    I have two real examples for you,one of my friend bought a pair of SPENDOR SP100,in order to run in,he let the speaker continuously work for 24 hours with an AV amp,face to face,covered with quilt to prevent noise for several month,but he burnout one tweetfinally when he replace both tweets,he found after run in,the SP100 is another one
    Another friend of mine also had a pair of SP100,after 3 years listening,he sold his SP100 to a man who using 7 SP100 as hometheater,the man said to him,his SP100 did not run in yet after 3 years,the SP100 still did not run in.
    46 lover

I heard the S4700 at the Arken-exibition in Gothenburg, Sweden last september. It was absolutely fantastic! Very high volume, with Mark Levinsson gear. It opened up my eyes for JBL again. I had the TiK-series some years ago.
    That live-feeling/dynamics to die for

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    You place 2216Nd in such a high position,i'm curious in which position you will place 1501AL-2?
    I'm under the impression that the 2216Nd type of driver is the future and the fifty pound AlNiCo drivers are not (providing neo stabilizes in price).

And I think I prefer the 1501AL-1 as opposed to the 1501AL-2. The -1 is remarkably similar to the old 136/2231 with the very low Qts and Fs, coupled with the high compliance. It would be nice to see an 8 ohm version of the 1501AL-1 coupled with the cloth surround of the 1501AL-2. I don't ask for much do I.

While you're asking.....

Throw in the Alnico 12 with the 4 inch VC for me.
    Vertical horn kind of guy

Mctwins
    If you want S4700 works like a PA box,then connect it to your Crown MAi5000
    Even if I connect one Crown MAi5000, it will still sound as a S4700, it's all about the right amount of power. It will not work like a PA box or sound like a PA box because I connect it to a Crown MAi5000. You are missing the point here. Still, room acoustics play's a major role here if a loudspeaker sounds good or not.

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    I heard the S4700 at the Arken-exibition in Gothenburg, Sweden last september. It was absolutely fantastic! Very high volume, with Mark Levinsson gear. It opened up my eyes for JBL again. I had the TiK-series some years ago.
    I had the same feeling when I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    Cool, I was impressed with the same system at International CES here in Las Vegas. That is what led me to buy the S4700s.
    S4700 owner.

Dave,forget K2,just focus on your S4700,S4700 is good enough.
    there is no bad speakers,only bad system
    K2 means better CD player,better amp and much more cost

but i heard somenoe say,9900 is easy to sound good,not 66000.66000 is a monster
    Ok, thank you for the suggestion, Martin.
    S4700 owner.

Dave,i have to tell you,your break in time is far less enough.
    I have two real examples for you,one of my friend bought a pair of SPENDOR SP100,in order to run in,he let the speaker continuously work for 24 hours with an AV amp,face to face,covered with quilt to prevent noise for several month,but he burnout one tweetfinally when he replace both tweets,he found after run in,the SP100 is another one
    Another friend of mine also had a pair of SP100,after 3 years listening,he sold his SP100 to a man who using 7 SP100 as hometheater,the man said to him,his SP100 did not run in yet after 3 years,the SP100 still did not run in.
    I see. Yes, as each day goes by, the sounds gets slightly better.
    S4700 owner.

Please pay some atttion to some europe brand
    Right now I am looking at the Japanese Accuphase brand.
    S4700 owner.

Thread Information