Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL DX-1 Active Crossover

Cool JBL DX-1 Active Crossover

Hello,

Recently I have bought a pair of JBL XPL200 in a very clean condition. The sound is surprisingly good, clear as crystal and very balanced and quiet with a full, earth-shattering bass. Truly equivalent to a 30,000+$ worth of speakers todays market.

I have a good McIntosh system (C70 pre and MC462 amp). However I am planning to using the McIntosh combo for the coming DIY JBL 4344 speakers (not yet ready). I want to build a secondary system with these XPL200's. I have a couple of questions:

-- How is it to acquire get the active xo (DX1)? Can it be custom made or are there similar components out there to get?

-- What amp or amps (in case of bi-amping) do u recommend for these?

-- Are there still thing I do to further upgrade these speakers?

Thanks in advance.

Name:  unnamed-2.jpg
Views: 1869
Size:  96.2 KBName:  unnamed-1.jpg
Views: 1967
Size:  79.5 KB

Greetings from Hood Canal Wa,

Regarding the XPL 200 I'd leave them alone. Do not change anything. They are Audio Classics.You might be interested in knowing that the Website Audiophile Nirvana considers the XPL200 perhaps the finest expression of a home speaker even today. So don't mess with them.

regarding the DX-1, good luck in finding one. I'm sure that they are out there but they are rare.

Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kreamer View Post
    Greetings from Hood Canal Wa,

Regarding the XPL 200 I'd leave them alone. Do not change anything. They are Audio Classics.You might be interested in knowing that the Website Audiophile Nirvana considers the XPL200 perhaps the finest expression of a home speaker even today. So don't mess with them.

regarding the DX-1, good luck in finding one. I'm sure that they are out there but they are rare.

Ed
    The sound of my system is so incredibly good, I feel like I am listening to a million dollar sound system.

Quote Originally Posted by ramin_audio View Post
    Hello,

Recently I have bought a pair of JBL XPL200 in a very clean condition. The sound is surprisingly good, clear as crystal and very balanced and quiet with a full, earth-shattering bass.

-- How is it to acquire get the active xo (DX1)? Can it be custom made or are there similar components out there to get?

-- What amp or amps (in case of bi-amping) do u recommend for these?

-- Are there still thing I do to further upgrade these speakers?
    I was fortunate to acquire a pair of XPL200a speakers for very little money at a resale shop. Though stressed and neglected, their rehabilitation presented great sound and good looks. See here: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...light=XPL+200a

Another piece of good fortune was when Greg Timbers pulled a DX-1 out of his closet, built XPL200a cards for it, and sold it to me for a very reasonable price. I'd mentioned to him that I thought the bass response was a little disappointing, and he said he could "fix it." Actively bi-amping the XPL200a pair with the DX-1 made an amazing improvement.

I ran them with Hafler pro trans*ana* amps, but moved on to a Hafler made Fosgate Audionics FAA1000.5 amp (also a Hafler) Trans*ana* MOSFET consumer amp to get rid of the pro amp fan noise.
    Out.

Those speakers are really nice! I would love to hear them and compare them to the performance series. Here I go back to ebay lol

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I was fortunate to acquire a pair of XPL200a speakers for very little money at a resale shop. Though stressed and neglected, their rehabilitation presented great sound and good looks. See here: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...light=XPL+200a

Another piece of good fortune was when Greg Timbers pulled a DX-1 out of his closet, built XPL200a cards for it, and sold it to me for a very reasonable price. I'd mentioned to him that I thought the bass response was a little disappointing, and he said he could "fix it." Actively bi-amping the XPL200a pair with the DX-1 made an amazing improvement.

I ran them with Hafler pro trans*ana* amps, but moved on to a Hafler made Fosgate Audionics FAA1000.5 amp (also a Hafler) Trans*ana* MOSFET consumer amp to get rid of the pro amp fan noise.
    I just went through your thread. Nice job on them.

Can't this DX-1 be built?

I don't have the technical expertise to answer that question directly, but I generally think that anything can be re-created with enough time and money. If I didn't already have the correct DX-1, I'd probably look for a used BSS Speaker Management unit and emulate the XPL-200A cards through software.

I think there are either pictures or diagrams (or both) of the cards on this site somewhere, and there are several people on this site who could use London Soundweb or Audio Architect to emulate them. However could do it and ​would do it are not the same thing, so you'd have to find the right person who was both able and willing.

During this pandemic, some folks might have the time and might need a little side cash...
    Out.

Jbl dx - 1

It is possible to build DX-1

dx-1 schematic.pdf

I have not built this.
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Lots of TBDs in there...

... and I think Ian is working on producing something a bit more turnkey than a schematic, unless I have my wires crossed.

The TBD are the parts on the actual crossover cards. We have the schematics for the XPL-200 cards and several others on the site. Must admit not for the faint hearted to DIY.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

A friend rebuild the DX-1 for S9500.

Here is a picture:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post341263
    Daphile; MUSETEC AUDIO (L.K.S. Audio) MH-DA005 - USB; Accuphase E-460; Everest DD66000

Very nice. I had completely forgotten that someone had the wherewithal to mount that challenge... and successfully.

Or buy a BSS FDS360 on Ebay and have your analog cake and eat it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    It is possible to build DX-1

dx-1 schematic.pdf

I have not built this.

I too was lucky enough to find a DX-1 from a member here. It came with a handful of naked cards so I had to build the crossover cards for the XPL-200's. It really does improve the speakers a lot. I was going to try to build one from the schematics provided here before I got mine.
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

[QUOTE=Dieter;432738]A friend rebuild the DX-1 for S9500./QUOTE]

I misread that sentence as "A friend of mine rebuilt the DX-1 for $9500."

Man! I was ready to put both of mine up for sale.
    Out.

Thread Information