Thread: 1956 Mono system

1956 Mono system

I made a new friend recently. His name is Mel and he purchased this equipment in 1956 and has cared for it well. He has entrusted me to care for it as he has and I will do my best. I intend for this to be an heirloom in my family. The speaker is a Bozak 305 in a home built. I still need to pick it up. The Scott pieces have a tentative appointment with a technician a week from Tuesday for full check up. Thanks Mel

HH Scott 121 Pre Amplifier with Leather case
    HH Scott 280 Amplifier (apparently the most powerful mono block they built)
    Rek-O-Kut T 12H Turntable
    Weathers Tone Arm
    Weathers P-650 Phono Pre Amplifier (anyone familiar with Weathers?)
    Guess I need a Scott tuner now

Ah sweet mono. Very nice gear you've acquired.

Amazing stuff. What a nice gesture from Mel. Knowing you, your going to be looking for some matching amplifier! It is beautiful. I look at the stuff and realize it was produced at the same time I was. Here's too many more years of use!

I can imagine those amp fetch a bit of money. Not a cheap task to find a mate.

Hey Oldsoundz, you never posted a pic of the bozak..

Hey Oldsoundz, it appears you also scored an AM phono transmitter. I had forgotten all about those things! Thanks for the memory jog!

Ageless!

I myself was just a puny 1 year young that year. Ah, to be young again - well, not that young, but younger than I am now.
    I fondly recall the Dynaco my older brothers and I assembled in the early 1960's. What a beast!
    Guy in WNY

"Ah sweet mono. Very nice gear you've acquired." Thanks Nick. I am humbled by this experience. Mel is a rare treasure and I have enjoyed spending time with him. The gear is just a really cool bonus.

"Amazing stuff. What a nice gesture from Mel. Knowing you, your going to be looking for some matching amplifier! It is beautiful. I look at the stuff and realize it was produced at the same time I was. Here's too many more years of use!" I'd love to beer but I am sure finding another 280 would be tricky. And Expensive. I'd have to say you were born during a great time for our nation.

"Hey Oldsoundz, you never posted a pic of the bozak.." I still need to pick it up. Flat tire over the weekend...

"Hey Oldsoundz, it appears you also scored an AM phono transmitter. I had forgotten all about those things! Thanks for the memory jog! " ??? The Weathers? Looks like I have some reading to do.

"I myself was just a puny 1 year young that year. Ah, to be young again - well, not that young, but younger than I am now.
    I fondly recall the Dynaco my older brothers and I assembled in the early 1960's. What a beast!" This amp is 45 lbs. I opened it and it looks clean, but I don't know what I am doing in there.

Thanks Fellas

Re. the Weathers, Philco had the same idea. It allowed you to wirelessly send a phono signal on AM to enable a remote location for the turntable. I am just gussing this is what it is, I have never seen the Weathers unit before.

Wi-Fi in the fifties!

Update: My bad, a Google search revealed that Weathers had a cartridge that somehow used frequency modulation to operate. A very interesting device, that I was not aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Re. the Weathers, Philco had the same idea. It allowed you to wirelessly send a phono signal on AM to enable a remote loaction for the turntable. I am just gussing this is what it is, I have never seen the Weathers unit before.

Wi-Fi in the fifties!

Update: My bad, a Google search revealed that Weathers had a cartridge that somehow used frequency modulation to operate. A very interesting device, that I was not aware of.
    Thanks for the feedback Chas. I think I may have some manufacturers literature from when it was purchased. I will have to check for it and read. Maybe I will share a scan later. Mel managed to keep the original tonearm box and it is full of goodies and extras.

Quote Originally Posted by NickH View Post
    I can imagine those amp fetch a bit of money. Not a cheap task to find a mate.

Hey Oldsoundz, you never posted a pic of the bozak..
    Brought the speaker home today. Leaving it the garage until I refinish the wood. Thinking an off white fabric for a wrap around grill cover.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoundz View Post
    Brought the speaker home today. Leaving it the garage until I refinish the wood. Thinking an off white fabric for a wrap around grill cover.

Thats look heavy. Are they sealed or vented? Looks very cool thought. I bet they sound nice.

Nick

Cabinet refinished. Just need to come up with a grill.

Before

Thread Information