Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: JBL 2245H vs 2241H vs 2242H vs 2235H vs TAD 1601 Performance over the 30hz - 200Hz

I would look at it on the basis of where you want the box port frequency to produce the most output.

What is the goal?
    Do you want very low sub bass output at the expense of higher bass output in the 35-50 region?
    Do you want maximum visceral bass impact 35-50 hertz
    Do you want maximum mid bass in a more compact enclosure 40-80 hertz

There are a few trade offs

On paper
    1. The lower the box tuning (20-25 hertz) and the larger the enclosure (10-12 cu ft3)will produce lower maximum output from the port and woofer summed output at FB. This type of tuning will also have less maximum acoustic output in the 35-45 hertz region because the port output is much lower in the 20-25 region. If you want more low bass output look at multiple woofers and enclosures. (It’s subjective noticeably see below)

2. A somewhat less large enclosure volume (25% less than above ie 8-10 cuft3) with a higher port tuning frequency in the 28-36 hertz region will yield a system with significantly higher maximum acoustic output around the higher port tuning frequency. Consequently the maximum output below the port tuning frequency will diminish quickly. In practice this can be resolved with a high pass active frequency. For consumer applications this us generally not necessary. (This type of tuning is subjective most acceptable)

3. If maximum output as in a sound reinforcement application is an important look at the Xmax and peak excursion before damage of the driver for system reliability.

Maximally flat response, optimum volume or extended bass?
    Some bass reflex enclosure simulators will offer preset tunings in these categories.

1. Maximally flat refers to the flattest system response in the pass band.
    2. Optimum volume fits the closest response curve the high pass filter of tunings suggest
    by the woofer TL parameters
    3. Extended bass refers to a lower port tuning and a larger enclosure volume with a low
    pass shelf curve in the response

Subjectively
    Typically you will achieve a more visceral impact in option 2 with box tunings at 28-36 hertz and above with a somewhat smaller enclosure volume(8-10) This tuning will sound subjectively more dynamic than the same woofer with port tuning in the 20-25 region and larger enclosure 1.

The larger enclosure (10-12 cuft3) is more difficult to construct so that it is resonant free above 50 hertz. For this reason such large enclosure best limited to application below 80 hertz.

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Scott,

… 2241/2242: you're tuning the woofers below their 35 hz Fs, this can become a slippery road at high level, more so for 2242 Fb @ 26 hz. I know JBL did it in tech sheet, but will they put in writing they'll recone it free if its been damaged, claiming abuse (used outside of normal terms/capabilities)? …

Richard
    Tuning below Fs is not unusual or particularly dangerous.

JBL’s theater boxes 4642a and 4719?are tuned to 25Hz.

2242’s are pretty robust. I operated one slated for recone at 1800 Watts of low distortion 60Hz sine until I got tired of listening to it. That would be a direct connection to the 120V power grid.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Tuning below Fs is not unusual or particularly dangerous.

I operated one slated for recone at 1800 Watts of low distortion 60Hz sine until I got tired of listening to it. That would be a direct connection to the 120V power grid.

Barry.
    It’s been done already.

The Americans used isolated meeting chambers with multiple woofers humming at 60 hertz outside in the Cold War to keep secrets secret. But it didn’t stop counter espionage from within by Russian Moles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    It’s been done already…
    Of course it has. The only thing new in the world it seems is the history you don’t know. Over and over, the ancients have stolen our secrets.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Based on the curves, as I have suggested, the 2241 gives the greatest "sense" of bass, even if it doesn't extend quite as low. Still, 32 Hz represents low C on the pedal board, and this is plenty low for what I listen to. Low E on a bass is ~40 Hz and the 2241 is all over the other varients at this frequency.

Hi Barry,

If my memory is correct many years ago Gene Czerwinski of Cerwin-Vega would go to trade shows and plug his Stroker woofer in 120V AC to show how robust it was. Have you stolen his "secret", lol.

That being said, downtuning puts more strain on a woofer. However nowadays with the larger excursion capabilities from woofers might explain that manufacturers are increasingly adventurous.

Ancestor 2240 had Fs 30hz and JBL modeled it in 10 cu ft but tuned it at 30hz, so at Fs not lower. The increased excursion capability of 2241 and 2242 probably lead JBL to be more daring in tuning these 5 hz below driver Fs in the spec sheets.

If you go from a B4 alignment to a B6, or straight for a B6, you down tune the box somewhat and then apply a boost/cut filter. The natural low end roll-off of the down tuned box, plus the cut filter, add to make an even steeper roll-off. My understanding is the 12 db/oct electrical cut filter has dual purpose: rolloff part of the Q = 2 boost near the filter's base on the VLF side, and at the same time mitigating some of the excursion strain put on the woofer using that same rolloff (two birds with one stone). So i'm a little skeptical that a sizeable downtuning with no filter would present little or no risk for a woofer at high drive. Wouldn't this mean the B6 cut filter has a single action only (rolling off part of the boost) and forget the rest like also helping decrease cone travel ?

2241 is a little different story than the others in the sense that its a high Qts driver, with these having more ability to naturally sustain (no EQ or filter) flat bass in a deeper bandwidth, than lower Qts units. Eargle has a couple of examples of this.

That Qts leading to a C4 standard alignment with some ripple in response (though it can be pretty small). A C4 is normally tuned lower than driver Fs for flat response, otherwise a response bump may appear (subject to cab size). The other two (2240 and 2242) will lead to Qb3 alignments or a derivative of this if the user models it his own way as i do.

In the traditional 18" SR woofer JBL went from 2240 Qts .23, to 2241 Qts .40 and then 2242 Qts .275 . So from low to high then back to somewhat low Qts respectively. (Btw back to high again with 2269 .36 !)

Hard to say exactly why this going back or so to an older "recipe" for 2242 but i may risk the following: high Qts woofers don't have as good transient response and likewise for their C4 alignments (Dickason and Eargle). In other words maybe users and sound contractors especially didn't recognized the 2240 sound in the 2241??

Finally, not everyone has the means to recone at will, i guess that's an incentive to keep a driver alive and well.

Richard