Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jbl 4341

The sound stage of the 4340 is hard to beat. I use a pair of b380's with the 4340's and that really adds that extra punch.
    My brother who has Heather's old 4341's uses no subs and is very happy. The 4435's to me have always made the impression they were missing something on the top end.
    Well why not it's just one more pair...
    4340's and 250ti's what an odd pair...

Obsolete
    The 4435's to me have always made the impression they were missing something on the top end.
    I guess folks would have to have heard them all side by side in a decent setting.

I had the opportunity on numerous occasions to listen to the then concurrent 43xx and 44xx Series in the same room with the same electronics. The general consensus was that the newer 4430 and 4435 were the better loudspeakers overall (but then, they were intended to be). It should be noted that the original versions did use the aluminum 2421 which was arguably better than the titanium 2425/2426. The 4430 remained in production for something like seventeen years.

I think the new M2 is shaping up to be an excellent replacement for the 4430. It appears to address the areas in which the 4430 was weak.
    Luckily, they do hold their value well, so you can sell them off and try something else without the pain of selling off new speakers
    They really do. As they probably should. They are rather rare, and many consider them iconic. The components themselves are quite good and some modern active filters with DSP might go along way in breathing new life into them. From a component cost perspective alone they should be considerably more expensive than a 4430 or 4435.

Jbl 4341

Thanks for all the help everone. I will just listen to them for a while. If i feel like they are just not for me. I will sell them. should be able to brake even on them. I would go for the 4435's or just bite the bullet and get some 1400 Array's. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 702retrotodd View Post
    Thanks for all the help everone. I will just listen to them for a while.
    If i feel like they are just not for me. I will sell them. should be able to brake even on them.
    I would go for the 4435's or just bite the bullet and get some 1400 Array's. Cheers
    Honestly, give yourself a fair chance to get used to the sound of studio monitors -
    they will make flaws in some of your music standout, other music will be sublime ...
    but it may take a while to get used to the different sound they have.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4341 Mcintosh MX110

HI Guys , GETTING OFF THE SUBJECT. I JUST RECEIVED MY MAC MX110 TODAY. IT HAS JUST BEEN RESTORED I MUST SAY THE MIDS & HI'S ARE AMAZING BUT THE BASS LITERALLY SUCKS!!! MY C28 SOUNDS JUST AS GOOD WITH AMAZING TIGHT BASS.IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG OR IS THAT JUST TUBE PREAMPS.CANT BELIEVE IT I AM SO DISSAPOINTED. WHAT DO YOU THINK??? BOO HOO!!

Jbl 4341 / mx110

Ok i am getting more use to the sound. I would have to say the bass does'nt suck. Just not as tight as my c28.it will take some time to get use to..... The mids are freakin amazing. Sound is so musical its rediculus. I think it will be a keeper. Very warm . C28 is a slight more brite sounding.

Ok i am getting more use to the sound.
    I think that is what is often mislabeled "breaking in" ... I've owned several MX110s... I still own a C28. I wouldn't use either if musical accuracy is the goal.

I'm not saying that the vintage Mac gear is without it's appeal, but generally most modern gear walks all over it... though there is that vintage cool factor that lesser gear just doesn't have. The only "cool" vintage piece I have ever owned that could come close to holding it's own against very good modern gear has been the Marantz Model 7 tube preamp... I've been enjoying one for several years now. I'll admit that I have my eye on it's replacement, but it is still pretty hard to beat.

Widget

jbl 4341 ? mx110

Mr Widget nice to here your input. I will tell you that the c28 is more musically detailed than the mx110. The piano up right bass strings all sound better on the c28 (more life like.) maybe it is a break in period like you said. The vocals are a little sweeter on the mx110 but that is it. I really am into the vintage hi-fi, it fits in with my decor. Would luv to have that marantz but $$$$ as you know. What would be a step up from the c28 in mac gear iyo. And how long a break in peroid on the mx110??? Thanks, todd

And how long a break in peroid on the mx110???
    I was joking... my point was that it is typically our getting used to a difference rather than the gear actually breaking in.

I've had several Mac preamps including the C22... I wouldn't buy any of them. They may make a new tube or SS unit that is outstanding, I couldn't say.

Widget

I really am into the vintage hi-fi, it fits in with my decor.
    I know what you mean... I am a sucker for it myself. I guess I'd rather have the pretty museum pieces happily glowing and on display, and some great sounding gear tucked away out of sight and making great music.

Alternatively at some point my hearing may go and then the vintage ears and the vintage sound will be in balance.

Widget

jbl 4341 / mx110

As far as i can tell I will like the C28 better. With me its like i am always trying to find something better. I spend more time buying, trying, recapping units than actually listening to them. i might just sell the mx110 keep the C28 wait for my 4341's to arrive. Ya right until i want a pair Marantz model 2's and that preamp.

jbl 4341

Well i picked up the 4341's. the 2121 will need to be refoamed before i will come to any conclusion.unless the refoaming makes a huge change in the sound the 4430 is the winner!!! The 2405 does make a big difference on the 4341's. I will hold my breath & wait.

Jbl 4341

Speakers are back and sounding perfect! the 10" drivers needed refoaming. The old surrounds were hard as a rock. 4430 vs 4341's. Well i have to say in apperance the 4341's win hands down. Freakin awsome looking. Like looking at farrari. Now to the sound------ 4430 slight edge on bass, huge difference in the hi freqency---- definitly goes to the 4341's. Mids very close 4430 does image better. More air around instruments on the 4341's imo. The 10" 2121's sure are sweet!!! Cost effective goes to the 4430's with out a dought. Which would i choose??? Would i like my 4430's back? You bet! Will i sell the 4341's no way. Unless some 1400 arrays come my way!!! Cheers everyone & thanks.

Speakers are back and sounding perfect! the 10" drivers needed refoaming. The old surrounds were hard as a rock. 4430 vs 4341's. Well i have to say in apperance the 4341's win hands down. Freakin awsome looking. Like looking at farrari. Now to the sound------ 4430 slight edge on bass, huge difference in the hi freqency---- definitly goes to the 4341's. Mids very close 4430 does image better. More air around instruments on the 4341's imo. The 10" 2121's sure are sweet!!! Cost effective goes to the 4430's with out a dought. Which would i choose??? Would i like my 4430's back? You bet! Will i sell the 4341's no way. Unless some 1400 arrays come my way!!! Cheers everyone & thanks.
    nice review,

Now get us some pics!
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Yes, yes - living vicariously - must have PIX!

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information