Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jbl 4341

Cool Jbl 4341

Hey guys my first time here. Just purchased a mint pair of 4341's How do they hold up to the l300, 4343, 4344? for some reason Kindrick sound prices them higher than all 43xx except the 4345 4350 4355 . What are your thoughts???

Obsolete
    They are harder to find than the others would be my guess for the pricing issue.

Same sound as the 4340 and 4343. 4340 was bi-amp only, 4341 was passive only, 4343 was switchable.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/pro-speakers/1974-4340.htm

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/pro-speakers/1977-4343.htm

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/catalogs/1974-pro.htm

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1974-pro/page06.jpg

jBL 4341

Cool!! Thanks for the info. I would assume they are not as good as the 4344??? but Im sure they can hold there own. Has anyone heard these before? I wont get them til the end of March. Cant Wait!!!

I've heard the 4343 in passive mode a few times... really nice speakers for playing music that comes alive in your room... they won't satisfy an audiophile who is interested in "holographic" "disappearing act" speakers, but if you want dynamic lively sound with excellent extension and at realistic SPLs, you'll love 'em.

A little careful EQ isn't a bad idea, but then many people over do this...

Widget

JBl 4341

Thanks for dropping in Widget. Quick Q if you had to pick what speaker would you go with. L-300 or the 4341's What do you think would be the best for me. i listen to alot of funky jazz Bossa nova Stann Gets, Astrude Gilberto House Music & 70's Funk!!! Low to medium levels Ears can't take loud music anymore Dj-ing years of clubbing.

Quote Originally Posted by 702retrotodd View Post
    Cool!! Thanks for the info. I would assume they are not as good as the 4344??? but Im sure they can hold there own. Has anyone heard these before? I wont get them til the end of March. Cant Wait!!!
    I had a pair for a number of years - wrote quite a bit over the years as I cleaned them up, sorted out the drivers and biamped them.
    They are slightly smaller than the later 4343s but used the same drivers - you can sometimes find a pair for a nice deal, if you are willing to tinker a bit.

General thought. They came with a 1st generation crossover design that was improved in the 4343s, the 4344s and the 4345s -
    There are some discussions on the site about building much improved crossovers for biamp use that are a huge improvement over
    the original early 70's design.

Anyway, I just sold mine last summer in a house-cleaning binge!

Here's the thread on my pair
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...Monitors/page1

A brief whatsit thread -
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...highlight=4341
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thanks for dropping in Widget. Quick Q if you had to pick what speaker would you go with. L-300 or the 4341's What do you think would be the best for me. i listen to alot of funky jazz Bossa nova Stann Gets, Astrude Gilberto House Music & 70's Funk!!! Low to medium levels Ears can't take loud music anymore Dj-ing years of clubbing.
    Simple answer: 4341

Better answer: Tweaked 4345 DIY or 1400 Array or SAMHF1 based DIY...

Widget

JBl 4341

Thanks again for the info. just so you know....I will BE running my 4341's with a Mintosh restored MC 240. I am also going back & forth on either getting a pair of MC 30's or mc75's. I know the 30's have that magic mid range that everyone talks about. but with the 4341's and a pair of 75's...... better deeper tighter bass, better highs. and last but not least 40 watts vs 85 watts with the 75's.WHAT DO YOU THINK??? OR IS IT A NO BRAINER WITH THE 75'S. I let go of my JBL 4430's hope i did the right thing.

I let go of my JBL 4430's hope i did the right thing.
    Nope. I can't believe you got rid of your old speakers first! I've never hear 4341's, but I have 4343's and 4430's and I'll take the 4430's any day - I like the bass better and they definitely image precisely, which I have a really tough time getting the 4343's to do. They're also much cheaper. I think the 4343's have more slam, and they play louder more effortlessly (I had them set up in my old 10' x 16' office and they would absolutely rock, with no distortion, off of a 60w/ch Adcom GFA-535II amplifier). However, I'm not a loud music guy, so they've been sitting for a while...

Luckily, they do hold their value well, so you can sell them off and try something else without the pain of selling off new speakers
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

jbl 4341

Shoot. Well if I dont like the 4341's as much I will just hold out for some 4344 Or just get some 4435's. My 4430's only just went for only 1,125.00 on ebay. they had the 2421a & 2235H.The most underated speaker IMO. ya! i really luved the. Thanks for the info. Maybe some one will jump in and tell me i did the right thing. I spent 600.00 on my 4430's & 4,000.00 on the 4341's. Luv the way they both look!

jbl 4341

Widget what do think??? Zilch Where are you??? Hjames did I make a big mistake 4430's for 4341's help!!!

1) I'd wait and see... you might like the 4341's better... different strokes... they're coming anyway.

2) Don't expect a reply from the Zilchster... He's operating on a different plane now.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ight=zilch+rip

Thanks Grumpy!! Its funny I feel like I know you . I have read so many of your posts In the past year. Finally Getting some blue baffles. Nice to well, here from you!! Now I have just read on a post the 4435 Is far the best for home Period. He claims to have heard every 43xx & 44xx. oh well I feel much better now. Im sure once I turn those baby's up with my MX110 & MC 240 I will be in lUV. thanks Again. Todd

Widget what do think???
    I'm with Grumpy... personally I'd probably go with the 4341s if I had to choose between the two... then again, I don't and I didn't.

The 4430s are better at imaging but sound more strained to me, especially if you have later ones with the 2425s... and a dialed in 2405 can sound really good. The top end of the 4430 has never blown me away. Then again people typically turn up their slots to the "too much of a good thing" level.

Now about those amps... I do not think the MC30s or the MC240s can control most 15" JBLs... I've never owned an MC275 but doubt the 275 will control them to my taste either, but lots of people are either deaf or are looking for a far different type of sound than I am. In my rarely humble opinion, these early tube Macs have a very full and fat sounding bass that leans towards the flabby and uncontrolled when powering large full frequency JBLs... they are probably just the ticket for an old 130A or D130 system that have inherently lean bass.

As Grumpy said... they are on their way. Let us know what you discover. (Realize my comments above are for absolutely mint, perfect condition vintage speakers... almost none are, so your impressions can vary significantly from what others have posted.)

Widget

Widget what do think???
    Hjames, did I make a big mistake 4430's for 4341s?? Help!!!
    I don't think so - tho in the Vintage JBL system I tend to like the 3 and 4 way systems better than 2 ways - better coverage of the audio spectrum. I think if you want more detailed music, its got to be a 3 or 4 way ... and if you are not a fan of playing music stupid loud, you don't need massive power to run them - tho its always nice to have some power in reserve. My upstairs speakers are a pair of L200 speakers fairly customized - they were 2 ways I've converted to 3 ways and currently run them with a 60w/ch tube amp - not quite the punch of a big SS amp but vocals and mids sound very nice.

The 4341s were in my downstairs system. For most of the time I owned them, I ran my pair in biamp mode.
    I used an active crossover set at 290 Hz, and ran the low split side to an amp that ran just the woofers,
    and ran the high split side on another amp for those 3 drivers (10 inch mid-bass, mid-horn and HF slot tweeter).

My 4341s came with a 2234 the previous owner subbed in for the woofer -
    I swapped in a 2235 within 6 months (and moved the 2234 to my other speakers).
    With a dedicated amp for the woofer, the bass was nice and firm and tight.

When I was biamping them, I first used JBL/UREI amps - 6260 for the woofers, 6230s for the high split, and a JBL/UREI M552 active crossover. Maybe did that for a year.

A bit later I swapped those amps for a pair of Adcom GFA-555 amps - roughly 200w/ch
    You don't need that much power for the high split, but I liked having matched amp tonality.

These days I'm running the replacement speakers (not biamped) on a B&K St202plus amp - also 200w/ch.

You don't have to crank them way up when you have a larger amp - I never did -
    but the bigger amp helps with dynamics and sudden percussive sounds in your music.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information