Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: almost full range enclosure for guitar build advice E140/E110/2213

Reviews ( from other bass-players ) for the lightweight Eminence Kappalite 3015 are quite favourable .

Eminence, noooo!

Other stuff will be going through the cabinet, it's not bass guitar. it's more conventional guitar with sub bass frequencies, plus occasional saxophone.

Quote Originally Posted by parker_knoll View Post
    Tak Mårten,

i think i might even have one of those that needs a recone!

I'll measure the dimensions of the box i have at the moment to see if it will work.
    Reconing JBL drivers is almost always a bad deal since second hand are cheaper, or should be. A 2226 should cost 100-150€. Beware of non-JBL recone kits.

Quote Originally Posted by more10 View Post
    Reconing JBL drivers is almost always a bad deal since second hand are cheaper, or should be. A 2226 should cost 100-150€. Beware of non-JBL recone kits.
    i just got a quote and it's about €130 to recone the one i have with JBL parts, so they say, so it's not that big a difference.

Is there no love for the M252-8 here since I have two of those on hand?

Is there no love for the M252-8 here since I have two of those on hand?
    High Q, low Bl. Probably 3" VC. Cheap stuff.

High Q, low Bl. Probably 3" VC. Cheap stuff.
    thanks, I will probably sell them then.

The 2225 and 2226 come it at 97db efficiency while the E110 is 98db, which I'm guessing is not enough that can't be compensated for with tone controls.

sorry, i have another noob question if anyone has the time. I expect there will be a few more.

So, i have made things harder for myself by basically trying to design to a box rather than building a box to match my desired drivers. This is because I live in a small flat and don't have space or facilities for building here, and also don't trust my skills to do it nicely.

Internal dimensions of my box are:

63cm x 58cm x 30cm

I can't run WinISD so i used a very basic online calculator that shows me that this is too large for the 2225h, and for the other potential sub speaker i have which is 12" Fane Studio 12B.

Obviously i will be building an internal box for the midrange driver which will reduce the overall dimensions, and i will lose some space due to the port.

My question: does it make a lot of difference how big the box i build around the mid range driver is as it will not be handling any bass?

if not i can use the size of the internal midrange box to tune the size of the overall box to match the bass speaker.

Thanks

Toby

box tuning

Here's the WIN predictions for 2225H in 100 ltr , thats your box size minus 10 ltr for all the guff inside.
    Tuned to 50Hz is about as low as you can get without the response becoming like a loudness button. Simply put the 2225H is not sufficiently compliant to get much lower. If you were to install a foam roll surround it would do better.

Name:  2225H in 110 ltr.JPG
Views: 776
Size:  132.4 KB

Name:  2225H in 100ltr 50hz  vents.JPG
Views: 680
Size:  129.8 KB

At a first glance your cabinet dims are not very efficient from the point of view of getting a good return from sheet materials , ply or MDF.

Could you live with a little narrower and a little deeper ?

Macaroonie, thanks

Using ISD online i found a pretty good curve for a 90 litre box tuned to 50Hz for the 2225H.

I think i can build to those specs with the E110. There is an efficiency difference which i guess i can accommodate for with an L pad later if I feel it's problematic.

Does it matter much how large the box for the midrange speaker is?

NB i already have the box, hence using these dimensions rather than building to spec.

You will not need much more than what will physically enclose the back of the E110.I allowed 10 ltr for the dogbox and ports etc so the working volume is 100 ltr.

A sturdy Tupperware bowl will do the job and save you some bother , I recommend a visit to a kitchenware shop. Just stick it in place with Gripfill or Pinkgrip ( B&Q Tradepoint )
    If you need an E110 I have one up for grabs, pristine.

I hope you noticed the vents , 2 @ 100mm dia x 118mm long.

Just simulate the E110 in a closed box. Use the falloff in your filter design if it is close in frequency. If an octave below your filter, dont bother. But you need to have some clearance behind the vent in the gap. Not much, an inch or two I believe.

with Macaroonie's measurements i have no problem with gap behind the ports.

One question: how does it come up with the number of vents as two and with that diameter?

I can obviously get different results calculating with different diameters, with one, two or even three vents.

Is that figure given by WinISD the optimum?

For crossover, I'm thinking about 600Hz.

You get the same response with short small port(s) as with long wide. The diffrence is air velocity. You get higher air velocity with small ports. In order to decide on port size/length, simulate using xmax. In WinISD you do that by altering the voltage. When you reach xmax, air velocity should not be greater than 15 m/s. Above 15 m/s you will hear the vents "breathing".

More vents will increase the area in the vents, lowering the resonant frequency because the friction will increase i little bit.

You get the same response with short small port(s) as with long wide. The diffrence is air velocity. You get higher air velocity with small ports. In order to decide on port size/length, simulate using xmax. In WinISD you do that by altering the voltage. When you reach xmax, air velocity should not be greater than 15 m/s. Above 15 m/s you will hear the vents "breathing".

More vents will increase the area in the vents, lowering the resonant frequency because the friction will increase i little bit.
    ok, that's hugely informative, thanks. i'll work that out when i secure the 15" driver and have the xmax figures.

BTW, the 2226 checks out very well with a box size of 90 litres tuned to 52hz. One just sold for GBP100 on ebay so i'll keep my eye out for another as it's a lot less than an E145 and less than getting my 2225 reconed.

Quote Originally Posted by parker_knoll View Post
    with Macaroonie's measurements i have no problem with gap behind the ports.

One question: how does it come up with the number of vents as two and with that diameter?

I can obviously get different results calculating with different diameters, with one, two or even three vents.

Is that figure given by WinISD the optimum?

For crossover, I'm thinking about 600Hz.

The option I posted gives a very low air velocity , hence least chuffing.

Be careful with 2226 out there , big fav with the Disco crowd hence get hammered and although it is a robust driver ..... you know the rest. Many needing recone on E bay and many with aftermarket cones.
    It is probably the right driver for your needs but as others have posted it will not and can not plumb the depths bass wise. 50 is about your lot and since you are using a octave divider you will be getting down in the 20's tonally. Sadly that driver will not get there.

Thread Information