Hi, first post here but I have read many many screenfulls from this great forum.

I've been playing around with different speaker combos for my guitar performances. I make a very full range sound, with pitched down bass frequencies, and even vocals running through the system, all running through a 120W Laney valve (tube) PA from 1969 which makes a sound I'm very happy with.

I started out with E120s which I love (I still have four) but the bass just isn't there, so I reinforced with an E140 in a non-ideal 1x15. It's okay for now, but there's major efficiency mismatches, so I'm running the E140 on 8Ω and E120s in a pair on 16Ω to compensate for the efficiency mismatch.

It's okay but I'd like to design a proper cab for shows, followed up with a second for bigger shows or when i want to work in stereo, which i sometimes do. So I'm thinking, can I combine the E140 with an E110 with a crossover and forget about having HF drivers as it's not really important for the sound I make? Looking at the specs, these two would seem to work okay in combo. What do others think?

I note the JBL full ranges for keyboard etc (Cabaret series for example) usually twin an 18" with a 10" or a 15" with an 8". Also, I'm having trouble locating an E110. Would a more available 2123 do the job? it matches the E140 in efficiency (101db to 100db). In building my cabinet i'll need to box around the 10" driver within the cabinet, is that right?

Many thanks,Toby