Thread: JBL 2205A surround dope question (desperate!)

JBL 2205A surround dope question (desperate!)

Dear Friends,
    I know this topic went around and around countless times and I did tried very hard to read everything I could find upon this "unobtainium" substance but I at the end I am completely clueless. So I thought I might ask once more hoping that I might get some help at the end. So, the story goes: I got an excellent pair of 2205As but since these are very old I would like to "freshen up" the surrounds as these seem a bit brittle. In fact there is a tiny crack at the surround of both woofers that when pouring some light from the back you can actually see a crack of light on the other side. My woofers sound excellent in a modified 4530 horn loaded setup (that I really love very much), but I guess that at some point will be useless and I really cannot afford new cones (not that I can find any locally for a fair price). Since I really love these speakers I would be very miserable to see these deteriorate and eventually die!
    So, what is the correct material (I hate silicone and I would like to avoid it) to be applied to save these? And where I can buy such a material? Maybe someone is willing to sell to me 2-3 ml?

I am really thanking you in advance.

My Best Regards,

Panos

Have you considered replacing the surrounds? I have used these...http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-2225-222...item20cdfc29c4 on some 2225's that were dried out and collapsed beyond repair. They are not terribly hard to install, and the cones now sit where they should.

I've read the dope is contact cement. I have also read its a special oil.

But I'm no expert. I'm surprised no one ever seems to have an answer for this.

Nick

I would prefer to repair the existing ones with the original material but it seems that I am the only one who faces this problem or everyone else is just using recones which in my case are both impossible to obtain not to mention extremely expensive. I am about to try wood glue (white) diluted in water and then applied under the cracks and then patch this with small pieces of silk fabric.
    Lets see what happens!

Thread Information