Page 83 of 113 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1683

Thread: JBL Master Reference Monitor

It appears that both the 3.3uF and 4.7uf Wima MKP10 250V exist in two different models with different dimensions and pitch.
    That could explain the size difference we see from different networks, probably dictated by said models availability.

Name:  Wima MKP10.PNG
Views: 1836
Size:  20.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Why didn't you tell us before?!
    I wanted to watch you fail bigtime for a while, like you did before helping me

Looking back at Valentin's photo of the network, it can clearly be seen that the 3.3uF is stated as C2...
    So it appears JBL did indeed misprint its network description.
    Let's hope it was not intentional at least

Obsolete
    That would bring the 1st order high pass filter from 209Hz up to 1kHz (!), which is of course a completely different scenario, going from a mere protection filter to a real component of the actual crossover.
    Same topology as the 4430/4435 in bi-amp mode.

If such is the case then it is even less expensive to bias that circuit.

What is the logic of using capacitators as part of the crossover for an dsp active speaker?
    For protection I understand, but why in the hearable register? I do not understand why.

It does not hurt either, and is less expensive (smaller caps).
    (Geddes even uses smaller cap values, with a cutoff frequency in the 10kHz+ range, in order to also do the CD compensation together with the filter)

But then you absolutely need a lpad between the driver and cap in order to linearize the inductance, because the fs and associated inductance peak will be right into the stop band and (badly) influence the response of the filter...

If you need a lpad because of the hiss of your DSP/amp then the smaller cap is a no brainer.
    In my own M2 "clone" I will probably only use a protection cap (fs between 200Hz and 300Hz), no lpad, and do the actual filtering entirely in the DSP.

In my own M2 "clone" I will probably only use a protection cap (fs between 200Hz and 300Hz), no lpad, and do the actual filtering entirely in the DSP.
    I know you do not agree, but I would not use a protection cap on the relatively low priced D2-driver.
    There was an (subjective) sound-degradation when I added protection-cap.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    ... to bias that circuit.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    You didn't CC, did you?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    You didn't CC, did you?

Low price or not, what are you going to do when the driver turns NLA?

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    I know you do not agree, but I would not use a protection cap on the relatively low priced D2-driver.
    I don't "believe" in exotic cables, burn in and most of the other things many audiophiles swear exist, but I have been playing around with speakers for a long time, and I hear a significant degradation of sound when a blocking cap is used on an electronically crossed over driver, particularly tweeters. I ride bareback and try to be careful. For me the risk is far outweighed by the reward, and 2405's ain't cheap these days.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    I don't "believe" in exotic cables, burn in and most of the other things many audiophiles swear exist, but I have been playing around with speakers for a long time, and I hear a significant degradation of sound when a blocking cap is used on an electronically crossed over driver, particularly tweeters. I ride bareback and try to be careful. For me the risk is far outweighed by the reward, and 2405's ain't cheap these days.
    It has to be factored in as an extra pole in the filter design, but I've seen too many electronic misbehaviors to trust my tweeters without passive protection. The real challenge is in the implementation- if you make it small enough to maximize efficacy of protection, it's going to interact with the impedance swings at the low end of a typical CD/horn's passband. If you go (much) bigger, you lose a chunk of the protection value, it's part of why I tend to stay with full passives lately- I need to do so much work to make the tweeter cap perform as I want, that I might as well just stay passive.

Well considering that all the stock crossovers in all of the statement speaker have series capacitors I don't understand what the issue is. Yes they are charge coupled and use combinations of electrolytic and film but still. Not even going to get into the Array series which doesn't charge couple them.

You guy guys must use some absolutely awful capacitors.

If you want to take the chance of damaging what could be an unobtanium driver in the near future have at it.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Well considering that all the stock crossovers in all of the statement speaker have series capacitors I don't understand what the issue is. Yes they are charge coupled and use combinations of electrolytic and film but still. Not even going to get into the Array series which doesn't charge couple them.

You guy guys must use some absolutely awful capacitors.

If you want to take the chance of damaging what could be an unobtanium driver in the near future have at it.

Rob
    Why would they become unobtanium? There have to be thousands upon thousands of them deployed in huge venue arrays all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    Why would they become unobtanium? There have to be thousands upon thousands of them deployed in huge venue arrays all over the world.
    If you want to take some used cast offs from the pro tour world, be my guest.

I would definitely use a protection cap. I have done numerous experiments, and no one has been able to reliably pick out when the caps were in the circuit or not.

Widget

Thread Information