Thread: Help with Component Selection (Upgrade Processor vs Add Equalizer)

Lightbulb Help with Component Selection (Upgrade Processor vs Add Equalizer)

Hi all, I have come seeking wisdom in selecting my next component upgrade.

My current setup is as follows:

AV Processor: Marantz 7701
    Amplifier (5 Channel): JBL Synthesis 5165
    Amplifier (2 Channel): Chord SPM 1050
    Speakers: 2 JBL 4429 Studio Monitors (L/R) + 1 SAM3HA (Center) + 4 In Ceiling speakers for surrounds + 2 JBL Subs

My budget only allows me to upgrade 1 component at the moment, either change my Processor to a Synthesis processor (SDP something) or add a Synthesis Equalizer SDEC 3000 to the mix.

I cannot upgrade both because that would cost too much for now, I will upgrade both eventually when I have liquid cash to burn. My room is a dedicated Home Theatre room with acoustic treatment, but due to the small size, can get a bit boomy.

So now the question is, which should I change? The processor or add an equalizer? Which would grant the greater sonic benefit? Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!

AV7701:

Audyssey Processing Delivers Balanced, Dramatic Sound
    The preamp incorporates Audyssey MultEQ technology, which uses a microphone to gauge ambient sound and adjusts speaker levels accordingly. The result is a flawlessly balanced acoustic environment where sound is optimally distributed throughout the room. In addition, Audyssey DSX processing expands the front sound stage, producing a more enveloping and cinematic listening experience.

You are not happy with the automatic eq in the Marantz?

The auto EQ on the Marantz has a very narrow sweet spot, also it was meant as an interim purchase to go to the SDP processor. However, now I am faced with the option of purchasing an SDEC too.

Would a Marantz (with Audessey off and EQ set flat) + SDEC combination work better than just changing the Marantz to SDP?

Thanks!

The SDEC will give you better control over the system than your Marantz' Audyssey, but you will have to pay a trained JBL Synthesis calibrator to come out to your house and set it up. I would recommend going with either an Anthem Pre/Pro or an Anthem receiver (using the pre level outs). The Anthems are more "hi-fi" than the Marantz, and the ARC EQ system is superior to Audyssey. The Anthem Statement (their pre/pro) is significantly more expensive than your Marantz, but the Anthem MRX series receivers are competitively priced and are quite excellent values.

Widget

Thread Information