Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 250 Ti vs 4345

250 Ti vs 4345

I'm a happy owner of 250 Ti which I currently drive with McIntosh 452 amp. But the upgrade itch never leaves me as I keep hearing about the magic of 43 series. I keep longing for even bigger bass, more punch and dynamics and more "in your gut" sound. Will 4345 give me all that? Are there areas where 250 Ti is better?

They are a very different beast ..... 250ti are hifi ... 4345 are a monitor . You need a lot of room to get the 4345 to perform anywhere near their potential .

If you have the room go for the 4345 and you wont regret it . They are not not plug and play . Like any classic they take work . I would give the 45 as much quality power as you can afford .

I hope others will chime in with their experience !

Rich

They are completely different speakers - listen to the 43xx before you buy them and make sure you like them. They are not an upgrade from the 250Ti's; they are too different (get both so that you can listen to whichever one suits your mood). The 250Ti's have detail and imaging; the 43xx have in your face slam. BTW, I do not have 4345's, but have used my 4343's with a pair of B460 Subs, which is probably pretty close. If you want the detail and imaging of the 250Ti's but with more slam, I'd look to JBL's newer offerings like the S4700.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

What about adding a couple subs to the 250ti? Kind of depends on your specific use, but it can be a big help for some setups.

Let me try to explain - while I love the detail of 250 Ti they are a bit too modern sounding, too Hi Fi (or even Hi End). They compared VERY favourably with B&W 800 Diamonds for Christ sake! There is clear separation between bass, mids and highs - now some folks may ask what's wrong about it? Nothing at all. But the JBL's I fell in love a few years ago were L150's - while there were nowhere near 250's in quality of each sound they had an incredible in your face TOGETHERNESS of sound that was just jumping out of the speakers with my modest McIntosh 6900 integrated. They sounded big, warm and fat - you know the feeling when you go "That's how this 1977 LP was meant to sound back in the day!". I just kept forgetting about all audiophile analysis and kept rocking one album after another. Now that I have a great McIntosh set up of 1100 CD player/500 tube preamp/452 amp I want to experience this togetherness that made me a JBL fan but on another level. That's why I thought about 4345.

Don't take my word for it:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?10613-4345-Includes-Designer-s-Post&p=110349&viewfull=1#post110349

Greg Timbers wrote: "Before closing I should comment briefly about the 250 - 4345 comparison. Simply put, I prefer a 250. I like the bass quality of the LE14 woofer. Alway have and always will. The 2245 when used as a dedicated sub is one of the best sounding woofers ever. It has an amazing blend of speed, pitch and punch. So does the 14" but the 18" is better. Unfortunately the 18" dislike for passive networks hurts it more than the 14" is hurt by a passive network. I think the mid and high range on the 250 is smoother and much more open however the 4345 wins by a bunch in terms of effortless dynamic sound. I have made all of the above changes to 250 systems (except for separate amp on UHF) and the improvement is huge. I have not done so on the 4345 but I suspect that that system will benefit from theses changes more than a 250 would. If both systems were tweaked out to about the same level, I suspect it would be very hard to come up with a clear overall winner, but I think I might lean towards the 4345 as having the greater potential."
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

All this talk about crossovers, networks etc scares me off big time. I'm afraid 4345 will not sound good simply driven by McIntosh 452...

I'd consider the 4345 to be more of a sideways move than an upgrade. As would one of the horn-based systems. (1400 Array)
    To me, an upgrade would be a PT800/PS1400 stack or the Ti10K.

Also true that what you might need is a re-evaluation of the placement and setup of your 250ti. They really should be offering everything and more than the L150 you were familiar with.

It sounds like you need to to some listening before committing your $$. Do you have any way to listen to 43xx monitors, or do you have to buy a set and have them shipped in before you can hear them?
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Maybe it's a matter of prefering a 3 way over a 4 way. I too have found that some times I like the the older 3 ways better. Maybe the L220 would be a good speaker for you to try.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    I'd consider the 4345 to be more of a sideways move than an upgrade. As would one of the horn-based systems. (1400 Array)
    To me, an upgrade would be a PT800/PS1400 stack or the Ti10K.

Also true that what you might need is a re-evaluation of the placement and setup of your 250ti. They really should be offering everything and more than the L150 you were familiar with.
    what I'd give to have my long lusted after Ti10K, and 250Ti, next to my PS Stack, for comparison
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Maybe it's a matter of prefering a 3 way over a 4 way. I too have found that some times I like the the older 3 ways better. Maybe the L220 would be a good speaker for you to try.
    Mike
    Sure it could be. How different would the L220 sound compared to 250 and 4345?

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    I'm a happy owner of 250 Ti which I currently drive with McIntosh 452 amp. But the upgrade itch never leaves me as I keep hearing about the magic of 43 series. I keep longing for even bigger bass, more punch and dynamics and more "in your gut" sound. Will 4345 give me all that? Are there areas where 250 Ti is better?
    250Ti is not on the same level of 4345.If you like JBL,you must to try big 43xx.
    In my word, without horns, JBL is no more JBL.
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    250Ti is not on the same level of 4345.If you like JBL,you must to try big 43xx.
    In my word, without horns, JBL is no more JBL.

If I ever build another pair ,I would use 4313b's design , CC networks, 2" driver and truextent Berylium dia ..... that said ,the 2245 is worth the admission money any day of the week .

If you want to put the time and money into them 4345 all the way . Bi-amp, keep the Mac where it will shine and put a solid 600 watt SS amp on the 2245 .
    IME , dont waste money and use a cheap crossover , Bryston , Marchand or something in the quality range .... I'd be interested to hear Kenrick's new active crossover .

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    If I ever build another pair ,I would use 4313b's design , CC networks, 2" driver and truextent Berylium dia ..... that said ,the 2245 is worth the admission money any day of the week .

If you want to put the time and money into them 4345 all the way . Bi-amp, keep the Mac where it will shine and put a solid 600 watt SS amp on the 2245 .
    IME , dont waste money and use a cheap crossover , Bryston , Marchand or something in the quality range .... I'd be interested to hear Kenrick's new active crossover .
    Thanx! I'm sure it's all worth it. But will it sound good (if not great) just driven by McIntosh 452 without all the tweaks and upgrades?

Thread Information