Thread: Disparity in Woofer Pair Ohm Readings

Disparity in Woofer Pair Ohm Readings

Both of these woofers (JBL 126A) have deteriorated foam surrounds - can anyone tell me why the disparity in the measurements ? .. one reads 4 ohms, the other reads 16 ... Thanks in advance,

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images   

worn leadwires

have seen this a number of times - while your meter is connected to the 16 ohm one wiggle the leadwires and/or the terminal's to see if it changes. If this doesn't work, have a speaker repair place replace the tinsel leads before you pronounce the speaker cone damaged.

sub

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    have seen this a number of times - while your meter is connected to the 16 ohm one wiggle the lead wires and/or the terminal's to see if it changes. If this doesn't work, have a speaker repair place replace the tinsel leads before you pronounce the speaker cone damaged.
    sub
    Using the min/max function while wiggling the lead wires where I was reading 16 ohms, I am reading a high of 19 and a low of .4 - thank you for the tip, but what does that tell me? .. and the other one which was reading 4 ohms has a high of 62 and a low of .2 when wiggling the wires.

use a different meter.

you are reading what isn't there....digital meters are fine BUT interpreting the min/max reading without a serious electronic background is confusing at best.

sounds like they are just fine - when you have them refoamed tell the guy to bench them..

OK Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    you are reading what isn't there....digital meters are fine BUT interpreting the min/max reading without a serious electronic background is confusing at best.

sounds like they are just fine - when you have them refoamed tell the guy to bench them..

Thank you .. I wasn't putting any opinion into my reading, just that I was getting fluctuations .. will pass this on to whomever restores them.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by siennablue View Post
    Thank you .. I wasn't putting any opinion into my reading, just that I was getting fluctuations .. will pass this on to whomever restores them.
    Also realize that some ohmmeters are very sensitive to the voltage created by even the smallest cone movement...
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Thread Information