Thread: DDS horns

DDS horns

Hello all,
    Does anyone know about the horns make from this company http://www.ddshorns.com/CFD2Products.php.php
    How do they sound? Please post your experiences?
    Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by phutho View Post
    Hello all,
    Does anyone know about the horns make from this company http://www.ddshorns.com/CFD2Products.php.php
    Thank you very much
    I have NO affiliation with this company -
    but I did some research on the website ...

Is there a reason you want their stuff instead horns from Harman or JBL?

Website pages are all dated 2010 ...

Founded in 1982 in Seattle, Washington by Bob Rice and Marc Hall,
    the company continues it's longstanding commitment of 'PERFECTING THE SHAPE OF SOUND' with Rusty and Ivan

DDS Horns, Inc. s 3501 So Interstate Hwy 35East s Waxahachie, Texas 75165
    office (972) 923-9922 s fax (972) 935-0539
    Ivan Cole: cell phone (972) 333-0540 / [email protected]
    Chris Cole: cell phone (214) 476-5355 / [email protected]
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Obsolete
    Is there a reason you want their stuff instead horns from Harman or JBL?
    My guess would be because Harman sources all their horns now anyway so it might be best simply to go to the source.

Note that some of the sources have contracts with Harman and aren't allowed to sell Harman specific items directly. For example, one can't buy a 100FE-12 directly from the manufacturer in China because their contract disallows it.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I have NO affiliation with this company... -

...the company continues it's longstanding commitment of 'PERFECTING THE SHAPE OF SOUND' with Rusty and Ivan...
    Nor do I.

Quote Originally Posted by phutho View Post
    Hello all,
    Thank you very much
    I don't know about the horns this company makes or how they sound, but the browsing experience on their website sure sucked. No image of any product, and clicking on one requires to download a pdf file. Time to invest in a user-friendly website...

Many of the "biggies" use them for there products or prototyping.

They are just fine.They probably prefer to put there efforts into producing a good product instead of hyping themselves on the web.

I"ve used them since the mid 80s.

Oldmics

alternative to Klipsch k402

I learned about this horn on the klipsch forum. I am looking for the alternative for klipsch big horn K402. The k402 +$1000/ea
    So far I learn that when dealing with horn, the bigger the better.
    I looking for the horn that can best K402 in term of sound quality and money.
    So far I see:
    http://www.diysoundgroup.com/horns/a...s/jmlc350.html
    http://www.acoustichorn.com/products/700/
    http://www.klipschupgrades.com/vtrac.shtml
    http://mysite.verizon.net/res12il11/id107.html
    and JBL 2360A.

Which one do you suggest?

I am researching either go with upgrade klipschorn or KLipsch jubilee

Thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    I don't know about the horns this company makes or how they sound, but the browsing experience on their website sure sucked. No image of any product, and clicking on one requires to download a pdf file. Time to invest in a user-friendly website...
    You might want to try another browser. The PDFs open immediately for me in Chrome.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I recently measured four boxes with DDS horn part numbers DVB 15N PRO's on JBL 2226's and CFD 2-90A PRO's on JBL 2441's. These boxes hadn't seen hardly any use since they just didn't like the sound and had been unsuccesful in getting them to sound decent. Turns out the DVB 15N has a full 20 dB wide bottom hole centered at 750Hz, 270Hz wide with a substantial corresponding perturbation in the time domain.

I guess you could use one of their 10" horns in the middle but we honestly didn't like the HF character either.

Just in case you might think I didn't give them a chance because I still bleed orange, we listened to and measured some Community horns with JBL speakers and drivers and I was knocked out by some of it! I heard detail from some of that stuff that I have NEVER heard from a "PA" stack. I didn't want to turn it off.

I know it's not much experience. I really hate to write negatively about anything as it just doesn't seem helpful but, well, they're just not for me.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

DDS at one time was a major player for custom built pro cabinets. A while back there was a change of ownership and major relocation of the operation. I was looking at some of their horns for a project a couple years ago, called their number a few times, talked to a guy, not much was in stock and not a clear time line on getting what I was looking for. Got the impression at that time it was a very small part time operation.

Maybe my gut feeling impression was wrong, maybe things have since change?????

I ended up going with JBL 2380 horns!

The response plots look like calculated / computed to me, not like measured.

That is how they should sound, not how they do sound.

ruediger

One thing I find interesting is that the polar plots (as found on the DDS website for the horns I was working with) were generated with TEF, a system I am quite familiar with. In order to create ploars in TEF you first must take an energy verses time test to set the tracking filters. Then a series of sweeps at the frequencies and angles of interest. All of the information for time, energy and even the apparent apex of the horn has been collected by necessity and the fact that not even an on axis frequency response is shown is telling.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thread Information