Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harman Trailer Listening Room comes to Tyson's Corner VA

Harman Trailer Listening Room comes to Tyson's Corner VA

JBL fans converged on Evolution Audio today at noon to check out the Harman Mobile Listening Room!

Name:  Harman_5349.jpg
Views: 1825
Size:  114.6 KB
    Name:  Harman_5351.jpg
Views: 1696
Size:  80.5 KB
    Name:  Harman_5352.jpg
Views: 2043
Size:  98.7 KB
    Name:  Harman_5354.jpg
Views: 2148
Size:  61.5 KB
    Name:  Harman_5355.jpg
Views: 1888
Size:  93.0 KB

Hard to get pictures in the home theater room in the back, but in the front room we have attentive fans
    Front row, from left to right, Emma, Tea, Wilfredo, Opimax (Mark), Liam, and his dad Steve.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

How did those Revel speakers sound? Looks like it was fun. I doubt they would visit Bar Harbor but that would be awesome if they took a road trip. Leaves are turning..

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    How did those Revel speakers sound? Looks like it was fun. I doubt they would visit Bar Harbor but that would be awesome if they took a road trip. Leaves are turning..
    Well, it was a lot of fun - There were actually 3 systems we listened to.

The first was the most amazing. Chris (one of the Harman reps) told us about multi-room home music systems - there was a small box that was 1000watts of amp - basically 8x125w/ch. They used that to run a pair of small, in wall 2 way revel speakers.
    They played 2 songs through them - one was Elvis (?)(if not Elvis, then an impersonator or brother) doing Fever!, followed by Dallas Symphony playing March of the Wooden Soldiers ... unbelievable dynamics for small in-wall speakers. Emma was hugely amazed at the in wall speakers - astonishing pieces for $750 pair.

Next we turned in the chairs for the big black Revell speakers. For them, they played 3 pieces of music; 1st, an acapella group the Fairfield Four; then a Boz Scaggs piece; and a very dynamic Janis Ian piece ... The hardware for that listening fest was a $15k Mark Levinson CD player and the two Mark Levinson Monoblocks, feeding the Revel 4 way speakers speakers (at $22k/pair). I only give prices because the two Harman guys made a point of stating them. Anyway, the speakers sounded very nice with deep bass on the Boz Scaggs piece, and very crisp with all the instrument in the Janis Ian piece ... and vocals were astonishing in the acapela song ... but - it wasn't the huge leap beyond our home systems I would have expected. It was a subtle evolution - then again, we were in a movable wall trailer without the solidity of a concrete slab underneath or the robust walls of most of our homes.

Name:  Harman_5485.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  117.7 KB
    Name:  Harman_5354.jpg
Views: 2148
Size:  61.5 KB
    Name:  Harman2_5357.jpg
Views: 1513
Size:  193.5 KB
    Name:  Harman2_5356.jpg
Views: 1541
Size:  52.0 KB

of course, the final demo was the synthesis system in the home theater room of the trailer ...
    A brief bit of Animated film Rattatoie - with the old lady and the shotgun blasting around the house ... amazing surrounds ...
    Then a part of the Crossroad festival from Chicago - BB King, Clapton and a band of others playing The Thrill is Gone ...
    Also very nice - but ... at a quoted price of $150k worth of gear ... it just wasn't a life changing experience ...
    Then again - I have to say, it was a very nice trailer with bump out walls,
    I have to believe it would have been better in TiDome's place, or our forum member's amazing listening space in Mexico!
    Solid massive walls would have made a difference!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Wow that looks like fun! How did you know it was coming? Do they post a schedule of where they will be making an apperance?? Did you find out through the grapevine from the local store??

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Wow that looks like fun! How did you know it was coming? Do they post a schedule of where they will be making an apperance?? Did you find out through the grapevine from the local store??

Rob
    I'd never been to that store before - but Wilfredo stays connected with a lot of that stuff - he sent us all an email sept 24 that the Mobile soundroom was coming Oct 7/8th ...
    We all work Fridays, so today was better date - and - I'm pretty sure we'd read about some of the Forum folks who saw the Mobile showroom at the Rocky Mountain Audio fest, I think it was - so it seemed like it could be fun ...
    We got there around Noon so Emma and I were the first to walk in ...
    I think the Harman guys were suspicious when we obviously knew each other (grin) ...

I agree with Heather that the high point (at least for me) was the in-wall speakers. The boxes they have around them are to simulate the volume of a typical stud bay you'd find in a wall. Although the host, Chris, said that the boxes were the minimum volume needed for the speakers to sound good and the angled baffles were to simulate the infinite baffle of a wall (no edge diffraction).

Name:  Harman Mobile Listening Room 009.jpg
Views: 2918
Size:  80.2 KB

Below are a few more pictures. The first one is the one Heather referenced about a 1Kw amp. The equipment was Lexicon.

Name:  Harman Mobile Listening Room 001.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  94.7 KB

Name:  Harman Mobile Listening Room 005.jpg
Views: 1439
Size:  104.9 KB

The K2 S9900 and an S2S 15" subwoofer (the room had 4!).

Name:  Harman Mobile Listening Room 016.jpg
Views: 1891
Size:  164.8 KB

I noticed the truck had a "gomra.com" license plate frame. Apparently, the truck was put together by a company that specializes in doing demo trucks for companies. Here's a link to their site for those interested. Whodda thunk? http://www.gomra.com/

Name:  Harman Mobile Listening Room 022.jpg
Views: 1625
Size:  92.7 KB

And a couple from inside Evolution Audio. Very nice people with very nice rooms and equipment. But, it's so quiet inside; they need to play some tunes.
    Name:  Harman Mobile Listening Room 025.jpg
Views: 2121
Size:  91.3 KB
    Name:  Harman Mobile Listening Room 026.jpg
Views: 6706
Size:  84.7 KB

Harman Mobile Showroom calendar of events

Not that I could have made it (I work every Saturday), but it would be nice for Harman to make the schedule more accessible.

After some creative Googling I came up with this link: http://www.soundthatstirsthesoul.com...spx?bid=5&id=4

Wednesday October 12 at Audio Classics in Vestal, NY.

Looks like the first week in November is for you guys in Seattle and Portland!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

In the last picture is the Marantz reference gear. Well, whadda' know! Who would have thought that?

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    In the last picture is the Marantz reference gear. Well, whadda' know! Who would have thought that?
    Not in the Harman trailer, of course!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    I agree with Heather that the high point (at least for me) was the in-wall speakers. The boxes they have around them are to simulate the volume of a typical stud bay you'd find in a wall. Although the host, Chris, said that the boxes were the minimum volume needed for the speakers to sound good and the angled baffles were to simulate the infinite baffle of a wall (no edge diffraction).

Name:  Harman Mobile Listening Room 009.jpg
Views: 2918
Size:  80.2 KB
    The average gap in the wall space here in NZ is 2.7l. This cabinet looks a lot larger than that so it is not really a fair test.

Allan.

Thread Information