Thread: After having DIY 1400's Array's for a few months.........

After having DIY 1400's Array's for a few months.........

My impressions of said speaker!

I will start by saying these are a real pleasure to listen to.

First off what did I use:

A Citation 7.4 cab with an LE14H-1. Tops are SAMHF-1's. Built CCed 1400 array xo's and I was off and running.

It is being powered by a McIntosh MC602 with an Adcom GFP-750 for a pre and a Sony X77ES as my CD/DAC.

For the first week or so it was really kind of difficult to listen to as it felt that it (the sound) was WAY over the top.
    What I mean by that is I have never owned any horns other than my basic e-waves that I built, so I was not prepared for the amount of detailed information that I was hearing.
    So after my adjustment phase I then began to listen with a better understanding of what I have.

First off these are very smooth. If anything ever did not sound like a horn then this is very close.
    I have always been a cone guy but things have changed around here!

I compare these to my B&W Signature 800's and the 1400's just sound more dynamic than any cone.
    I played a pair of B&W CM-4's ( a respectable little 2.5 way) during this test time of the 1400's, and a different openness and clarity is abundantly aparent to the 1400 vs any other speaker that I have. And to belive there is an upgrade I can do? Just add "Be" dia's and off you go.
    Being 3+ months of listening I could hardly go back to listening to much less. The only thing I would like to add is a Levinson 38,380..S... etc pre.

Well I was building these for my theater (with 1200 Fe's for woofs) but they will never leave my 2 channel room. I will however continue with my project with the 12's.

These really are a delight to listen to and far outclasses ANY speaker in it's price range IMO. Kind of like a Ferrari, You really do get what you pay for and these speakers really do say this in volumes!!

Here is a pick taken by an AK-er from a GTG we just had and a link to some more pics.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...328621&page=16
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always fun learning more.......

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    For the first week or so it was really kind of difficult to listen to as it felt that it (the sound) was WAY over the top.

What was your econowave setup?

Liked the photos. Left you a reply there.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post

What was your econowave setup?
    The basic with Selenium 220ti's and an le14h-1 and JBL pt horn

Obsolete

DIY 1400 Arrays

I recognize a fellow or two in those photos.

I'm glad you like them!

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I recognize a fellow or two in those photos.

I'm glad you like them!

I did not know that you get to the Denver area, If you ever do again let me know and I would be most happy to audition the system even though you have heard better!

I am very impressed even compared to a speaker that retails for $20,000

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    My impressions of said speaker!

I will start by saying these are a real pleasure to listen to.

First off what did I use:

A Citation 7.4 cab with an LE14H-1. Tops are SAMHF-1's. Built CCed 1400 array xo's and I was off and running.

It is being powered by a McIntosh MC602 with an Adcom GFP-750 for a pre and a Sony X77ES as my CD/DAC.

What I mean by that is I have never owned any horns other than my basic e-waves that I built, so I was not prepared for the amount of detailed information that I was hearing.
    So after my adjustment phase I then began to listen with a better understanding of what I have.

First off these are very smooth. If anything ever did not sound like a horn then this is very close.
    I have always been a cone guy but things have changed around here!

I compare these to my B&W Signature 800's and the 1400's just sound more dynamic than any cone.
    I played a pair of B&W CM-4's ( a respectable little 2.5 way) during this test time of the 1400's, and a different openness and clarity is abundantly aparent to the 1400 vs any other speaker that I have. And to belive there is an upgrade I can do? Just add "Be" dia's and off you go.
    Being 3+ months of listening I could hardly go back to listening to much less. The only thing I would like to add is a Levinson 38,380..S... etc pre.

Well I was building these for my theater (with 1200 Fe's for woofs) but they will never leave my 2 channel room. I will however continue with my project with the 12's.

These really are a delight to listen to and far outclasses ANY speaker in it's price range IMO. Kind of like a Ferrari, You really do get what you pay for and these speakers really do say this in volumes!!

Here is a pick taken by an AK-er from a GTG we just had and a link to some more pics.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...328621&page=16
    So beautiful,congratulations!
    46 lover

"I will start by saying these are a real pleasure to listen to."
    Glad you like them I sure like mine!

Built CCed 1400 array xo's and I was off and running.
    Were you able to find the lower coil values or did you have to unwind a .100Uh??

Well I was building these for my theater (with 1200 Fe's for woofs) but they will never leave my 2 channel room.
    I have 2 channel set-up as well and that's where mine are staying.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Glad you like them I sure like mine!

Were you able to find the lower coil values or did you have to unwind a .100Uh??

I have 2 channel set-up as well and that's where mine are staying.

Rob

With the assistance from your build, may I say "Thank You".
    I unwound as you have said. I have an Amprobe LCR meter that I used to measure them.

They are just superb to listen to.
    Not much on cab building just yet. I have a Cedar storm and garage door to finish for the better half, but this winter should get some progress!

Thread Information