Thread: altec 515b 288c hookup

altec 515b 288c hookup

the specs on the 515b suggest it should be used with the 288c driver and n500c dividing network i just got two 515bs and one 288c and just learning about speaker and amps because of these new toys
    is the dividing network an amp
    can i plug the 515b in it as well
    how many speakers and drivers can i plug in one
    also the horn on my driver is 803b i cant find another for sale should i wate to find one or plug it in as mono or center
    what amp could someone suggest for these speakers considering i dont know if the divider is an amp

Hi username,

The answers to all your questions can be found within the forum by using the search function. Specs on your components can also be found in the library.

The N500C dividing network is a crossover. You need to send an audio signal from an amp (or amps) to the crossovers, which will allocate the correct frequencies for each driver. You will need one N500c for each channel. (This is how regular speaker cabinets usually work, but the crossovers are just hidden within the cabinets.)

These drivers are very highly regarded and sought after pieces. If I were you I would hold out until you find a matching 288 and 803b horn to complete a stereo system. You will be rewarded with a very satisfying set up that many (including myself) will be envious of.

These drivers are very sensitive and deserve a good quality tube amp (or amps) to drive them. I wish you the best of luck with your project.
    Show us what ya got: Homebuilt Hi-Fi

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    what amp could someone suggest for these speakers considering i dont know if the divider is an amp
    You might want to spend some time snooping around here: http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/altec.htm

To turn your fine vintage Altec components into something listenable, you will need to build or find correct cabinets, a matching 288 and horn along with a pair of dividing networks (crossovers), and perhaps a pair of tweeters and their required networks as these vintage systems don't reproduce all that is recorded these days... or even all that was recorded decades ago.

We all started somewhere... enjoy the journey.

Widget

the 515bs are in individual cabinets that look like they could be original cabinets i dont know if there are original cabinets or what they look like lots of wear and sloppy black paint over silver paint wall mount brackets on back altec sticker on front in small indent and semco sticker on back
    are these original cabinets
    is an ss home amp with two 15" towers as mid range and tweeters a good choice
    with an ss amp is it better to parallel wires to reach exact ohms or leave the 515bs by them selves in their own channel
    also i cannot find 16 ohm channel amps do they not exist

also i cannot find 16 ohm channel amps do they not exist
    Don't sweat the 8 ohm 16 ohm thing... I won't say it doesn't matter, but in this case... it really doesn't matter. Any home audio amp you have will be fine... a specialty amp may be better, but any amp will get you started. Realize that these vintage speakers may very well no longer be fully up to snuff, so just hooking them up to see what you have is a good idea. One word of caution. Do not hook up any amp to the 288 without a proper network.

Take a pic or two and we can tell you more about your speakers.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Take a pic or two and we can tell you more about your speakers.
    x2. I'm curious to see what you actually have.

the green wire on the 288c is bothering me is it supposed to be a screw like next to it not just a lose wire
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Nice gear there! I personally love the 515b in an A7 horn loaded cabinet.

The green wire wont hurt anything as long as you are careful with it. Dont tug on it or allow it to short.

If you can, get a replacement. Bill at GPA would be a nice place to start.

the specs on the 515b suggest it should be used with the 288c driver and n500c dividing network i just got two 515bs and one 288c and just learning about speaker and amps because of these new toys
    is the dividing network an amp
    can i plug the 515b in it as well
    how many speakers and drivers can i plug in one
    also the horn on my driver is 803b i cant find another for sale should i wate to find one or plug it in as mono or center
    The dividing network is not an amp it is a filter that seperates the low frequencies from the high frequencies. You need 2 for stereo. What you probaly have is a PA system from an arena.

If you want to go stereo wou will need 2 horns with drivers.

You will need a second cross over.

Check this site for used Altec equipment.

http://www.jamminjersey.com/speakers...A-L_crossovers

For repairs and new parts

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/

Call Bill for more explanations.

Welcome to Lansing Heritage, username (like the name!). Your cabinets are the venerable 612 model, first used in the historic Lansing Iconic two way system in 1937 and built by Altec for the following forty years:

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pr...mco/iconic.htm

The Iconic used an 800 cycle crossover point with small high frequency driver and 800 cycle horn and crossover. Many folks like bigger horns and lower crossovers, and your 288 and 803 horn could work very well for this. You have some shopping to do yet to assemble a stereo pair, but Rome wasn't built in a day. Being new to the speaker hobby, you are off to a great start with these very serious professional high performance units, better than the components in most expensive "high end" modern speakers.

Hit the books and learn as much as you can, peruse the catalogs on this site, and try to connect with some bay area Lansing Heritage folks who could let you listen to some of this stuff and help you with the decision making.

All your components look to be in pretty good shape username! This is a project well worth pursuing!

Thread Information