Thread: Model 14 woofer?

Model 14 woofer?

Hopeing someone with more knowledge than I can recommend/suggest a replacement woofer for model 14 Altec L. Looking for something more available used, JBL, C. Vega or what ever. The original was an RCA product that I was not sold on, don't know why they used the RCA instead of their own product.

- FWIW ; The M14 spec sheet claims a sensitivity of 95 db / which can only be accurate if a high compliance PA woofer was used ( which would compromise the low end ) .

- Nearly all possible substitutes are going to be in the low 90s ( max ) for sensitivity .

- If you can accept lower 90s sensitivity, then there are quite a few choices ( in the low 90s db/watt/meter range ) .

- There may also be a problem getting a typical 12" to fit in . The stock cut-out might be over-sized for a standard 12" . You'll need to research that part .

- Do you know the volume of the M14 enclosure ? It may also be too large for most 12" woofers .

Woofers ?

(i) I'd be inclined to get a pair of JBL 128H-1(s) from eBay, refoam them, drop them in & then give them a go .
    - If they don't work out , toss them back out on the Bay .

(ii) Also ( used ) , the JBL 2203 (a or H ) . Typical refoaming advice applies .

(iii) The GPA 3124 is a contender ( if you prefer to buy new ) .

(iv) The le14a ( 14" ) could be a good choice if the box size of the M14 is over 3 cu ft ( but less than 4 ) .

<> EarlK

I would use a pair of 414C's with a small tweak to the crossover and cab tuning(Port) they will sound 10 times better than they ever did !

Those original woofers were cheap stamped frame ceramics made by someone else i think, that Altec purchased a case where Altec can buy them cheaper than they could produce them. Cabinets are 6 cubic feet.Not difficult to improve upon those stock woofers IMO.

IIRC those woofers were used in the Model 14,15's and the 9842 Studio moniters up until 1984.
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Thread Information