Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4675C-4LF or 5732 for HT upgrade.

Good Evening Everyone, and thank you for sharing your wonderful systems.

I have finally made a decision, and I'm going in a non-JBL direction. Hope you guys still let me hang out here though

Front L&R = Danley SH-50
    Center = Danley SH-69
    Surrounds = Danley SH-100

System shall initially be powered with all Face Audio amplifiers as I retained this gear from the sale of my previous system. Bridged F1200 on each SH-50 and SH-69, and bridged F250 on each surround. I'm going to look into Crest 8200/9200 as one replacement/upgrade option.

Subs shall be 4 B&C 21SW152, each unit shall have a sealed ~5 cubic foot enclosure and powered by half of a Crest 9200.

Thanks for humoring my inquiries gentlemen; I'm waiting to hear back from my Danley dealer with shipping details now. I expect to place the order next week, and he said there is about a 2 week lead time.

Regards,

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by LarryMcConville View Post
    Good Evening Everyone, and thank you for sharing your wonderful systems.

I have finally made a decision, and I'm going in a non-JBL direction. Hope you guys still let me hang out here though

Front L&R = Danley SH-50
    Center = Danley SH-69
    Surrounds = Danley SH-100

System shall initially be powered with all Face Audio amplifiers as I retained this gear from the sale of my previous system. Bridged F1200 on each SH-50 and SH-69, and bridged F250 on each surround. I'm going to look into Crest 8200/9200 as one replacement/upgrade option.

Subs shall be 4 B&C 21SW152, each unit shall have a sealed ~5 cubic foot enclosure and powered by half of a Crest 9200.

Thanks for humoring my inquiries gentlemen; I'm waiting to hear back from my Danley dealer with shipping details now. I expect to place the order next week, and he said there is about a 2 week lead time.

Regards,

Larry
    I would use the SH60 over the SH50. I'd go with 60 degrees over 50. In fact, I'd talk to the Danley guys about the SM line over the SH line for the home. I think the molded horns will perform better for your purposes. Do you have an acoustically transparent screen?

Better yet, I'd go with 3 SM96's. They are 90x60 horns and were just released. I would put the SM96's in the corners angled in at 45deg crossing just in front of the listeners.

SM 96 spec sheet: http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/pdf/S...ec%20sheet.pdf

Also, bridging your Face amps will be well beyond necessary headroom. In all likelihood, you will never use more than 10-20w per speaker at the loudest levels.

Hi coctostan,

Yes, I have an AT screen (~146").

I thought the same in comparing the SH60 to the SH50; my seated position is between 13' - 14' from the screen face depending upon how one sits - upright/reclined...

I have received input from Ivan @DSL, and also my DSL dealer; it seems that going with the SH 'family' will bring the level of midbass/midrange 'presense' I seek.

Please know, I do respect and appreciate your feedback here. I'm also looking for this giant step (I'm coming from JTR Triple 8s) to cure my upgraditis for the long-term.

You have a good point in respect to my amplification; I will likely start out in a non-bridged configuration to assess as this will also reduce amp induced THD a little too.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by coctostan View Post
    I would use the SH60 over the SH50. I'd go with 60 degrees over 50. In fact, I'd talk to the Danley guys about the SM line over the SH line for the home. I think the molded horns will perform better for your purposes. Do you have an acoustically transparent screen?

Better yet, I'd go with 3 SM96's. They are 90x60 horns and were just released. I would put the SM96's in the corners angled in at 45deg crossing just in front of the listeners.

SM 96 spec sheet: http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/pdf/S...ec%20sheet.pdf

Also, bridging your Face amps will be well beyond necessary headroom. In all likelihood, you will never use more than 10-20w per speaker at the loudest levels.

Yes, the SH models have a stronger midbass. If they fit the budget it is probably a better bet.

Have you thought about getting the powered versions? You should ask Ivan about that option. There are some advantages to that.

I would look at 3 SH-60s or SH-69's oriented for 90x60. I'm sure Ivan can hook you up.

Hi Coctostan,

Honestly, I haven't considered the powered versions as I have a rack full of Face Audio amps (9 units).

I'll ping Ivan/DSL tomorrow to further seek their opinion on the SH50/SH60 comparison. They previously indicated the SH50 coverage pattern would work well for my install, but subsequent input certainly isn't going to hurt.

Regards,

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by coctostan View Post
    Yes, the SH models have a stronger midbass. If they fit the budget it is probably a better bet.

Have you thought about getting the powered versions? You should ask Ivan about that option. There are some advantages to that.

I would look at 3 SH-60s or SH-69's oriented for 90x60. I'm sure Ivan can hook you up.

Congrats Larry, either model you choose will not disappoint!

I would suggest in keeping LCR the same speaker.

Thank You, I'm really excited here.

It's interesting you suggest I maintain the same model across the LCR. This was my position too, and after asking 'more then once' Ivan and my dealer have both indicated the 90 degree pattern in the horizontal of the SH69 would be a better choice for center.

With the Danley 'entrance fee' I certainly don't want to get this wrong.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by rlsound View Post
    Congrats Larry, either model you choose will not disappoint!

I would suggest in keeping LCR the same speaker.

Thread Information