Thread: Any recommendations for where to buy genuine recone kits?

Any recommendations for where to buy genuine recone kits?

Bougth recently 4 2226J`s from a well reputated ebay seller who are mentioned a few times on this forums.

BUT received 2 ok 2226J`s + not so ok ones, one with a non genuine dustcap glued on the most messy way possible and last, but worst, one 2226J basket with a 2226H recone with a rubbing voicecoil.

Since the seller are listed on JBL`s list of repair centers, i asked for a deal on recone kits, with the fact that i didnt get what i paid for calculated in, but have sofar not received an ansver

One option are to recone the 2 im not happy with, but then i will have colour differenses betwin the 2 pairs (due to age)

Another are to recone all 4 to 2226H`s and go the 4 Pi route.

I can get genuine recone kits locally, but since i am in Norway we are talking 300+$ each (ouch) i can also get them reconed at a authorized dealer/service center but no we are talking 400+$ each (double ouch)

So if possible i would prefer to buy from US, wich i belive have a far more sensible pricing on these kits.and do the recone my self.

Shipping the speakers to US for reconing are out of the question, this because shipping with our local postal service abroad are also horribly expensive.

Anyone able to guide me to a honest supplier?

Quote Originally Posted by FE3T View Post

Unfortunately...JBL Recone kits are not supposed to be available over the counter.

An honest supplier that will sell them to you...isn't honest and is violating his agreement with JBL.

Not trying to be sarcastic or anything, that's just the rules that are in place.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Unfortunately...JBL Recone kits are not supposed to be available over the counter.

An honest supplier that will sell them to you...isn't honest and is violating his agreement with JBL.

Not trying to be sarcastic or anything, that's just the rules that are in place.
    I have heard something similar before, but since my local dealer are willing to break these rules, there are probably others in other countries to.

As for the Ebay seller that sold me these, it would really be a blast if he turned out to be to "honest" to let me have the option of getting what i paid for in the first place.

By honest i did mean someone who would sell me the real deal, not trying to send me some chinese made stuff and charge for oem.

I can go for aftermarket, but if thats the only option, i would not keep them, but unload them on higest bidder locally, Alternatively sell whats works untouched and trash whats not usable

Bougth recently 4 2226J`s from a well reputated ebay seller who are mentioned a few times on this forums.

BUT received 2 ok 2226J`s + not so ok ones, one with a non genuine dustcap glued on the most messy way possible and last, but worst, one 2226J basket with a 2226H recone with a rubbing voicecoil.

Since the seller are listed on JBL`s list of repair centers, i asked for a deal on recone kits, with the fact that i didnt get what i paid for calculated in, but have sofar not received an ansver

One option are to recone the 2 im not happy with, but then i will have colour differenses betwin the 2 pairs (due to age)

I can get genuine recone kits locally, but since i am in Norway we are talking 300+$ each (ouch) i can also get them reconed at a authorized dealer/service center but no we are talking 400+$ each (double ouch)

So if possible i would prefer to buy from US, wich i belive have a far more sensible pricing on these kits.and do the recone my self.

Shipping the speakers to US for reconing are out of the question, this because shipping with our local postal service abroad are also horribly expensive.

If you have something good, going on, that benefits you.Like being able to get genuine re-cone kits over the counter. I wouldn't post it on the "World Wide Web" !

Because it won't be for much longer, especially if your seller happens to read about it !

As one post has already indicated.Some Folks won't like or appreciate it if they are one of those dealers or some kind of speaker business,like an authorized JBL service center !

I would keep that on the low down. Just a Thought, Just my Honest Opinion.
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    If you have something good, going on, that benefits you.Like being able to get genuine re-cone kits over the counter. I wouldn't post it on the "World Wide Web" !
    If you refer to the guy i bougth the drivers from, "something good going on" are not what i would call it
    When i complained on the dustcap replacement and the 2226H recone kit in one of the drivers described as 2226J`s
    he excused himself with not being an expert in JBL and unable to notice the fact that the driver was different from the other 3, something i would call an outrigth lie since he are a licensed JBL repairman, and the recone kit had 2226H written on it with 1" tall crayon letters.
    Anyway, he has gone silent after my request, so the chances of getting any use of the drivers without shelling out a fair amount of additional dough, has reached minimum a long time ago.

I think the $400 "all ready done" price is not to bad. I payed about $480 for my 2235H, in Oslo about 3-4 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    I think the $400 "all ready done" price is not to bad. I payed about $480 for my 2235H, in Oslo about 3-4 years ago.
    Migth be partially the fluctuations in USD vs NOK during that time

the exact price i was quoted was 2100NOK+ sales tax for each.

And doesent the 2235 have an Aquaplased cone and a MCR, that would probably also add a bit to the price.

But i have just got a message from one German guy you have dealth with, so ill wait for his reply before i make any final decisions

You can get 2226H in good shape in Sweden for 1500 SEK. I have never seen 2226J.

Quote Originally Posted by more10 View Post
    You can get 2226H in good shape in Sweden for 1500 SEK. I have never seen 2226J.
    Its exactly the same thing, except with a 16ohm voice coil

G= 4 ohm
    H= 8 ohm
    J= 16 ohm

Sorry if you already knew this and meant that you never had seen one for sale.

I guess most of the J`s on Ebay and similar auction sites are scavenged from cabinets where 2 woofers where run in parallel for an 8ohm load.

Those prices are absolutely normal here in Europe. If you want "cheaper" you can always buy cheap on ebay, realize that you receive crap, recone and in the end pay more. You went this route, right?

Anyway, you'll have a message with recent prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Those prices are absolutely normal here in Europe. If you want "cheaper" you can always buy cheap on ebay, realize that you receive crap, recone and in the end pay more. You went this route, right?

Anyway, you'll have a message with recent prices.
    You can say so, I have basically got my self 4 really expensive 2226 baskets
    and the option to buy 1 single C8R2226 kit for 130$ (finally got a message from seller)
    but with my luck i guess if i accept that offer, i will end up with Chinese recycled toilet paper instead of a genuine kit.

I look forward to se your list, then i can decide what ill do in the end.

Just return the drivers. If you bought them on ebay you will get plenty of help getting your money back.

Quote Originally Posted by more10 View Post
    Just return the drivers. If you bought them on ebay you will get plenty of help getting your money back.
    I dont know about the Swedish Postal services and prices.
    But here in Norway will cost more than i paid for the drivers to return them to the US

I should have stayed with my orginal plan of dual Seas 10`s and Beyma AMT instead of letting the prosject grow into the JBL route, then i wouldnt have to deal with anyone outside the borders,

But i guess the whole thing will be put on hold untill i can afford reconing them.
    I will probably do one at the time to spread the costs, maybe ask the local dealer for a discount if i send him emty baskets thouroghly cleaned and with the gaps taped off for protection.
    Maybe even use some time to remove all visible scratches by grinding off the paint on the baskets front edges and polishing them. After all, i can still comfort my self with the fact that even if i get these professionally reconed, they would still be cheaper than new ones bougth here.

Re-cone the one with the dragging coil and get to making noise! If the one with the messy glue job was not done in instant adhesive (hard like acrylic) it can most likely be soaked off with MEK or Acetone. Clean it up as much as possible and glue another dust cap on and go.

Don't get me wrong, I like my stuff to look nice, but think of it this way, you have some drivers that you can experiment with before you have to worry about them.

Don't let discouragement grind you to a stop
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Yes you could have, but then you would not get the good JBL sound. I believe you are doing the right thing getting them re-coned.

I should have stayed with my orginal plan of dual Seas 10`s and Beyma AMT instead of letting the prosject grow into the JBL route, then i wouldnt have to deal with anyone outside the borders,

Thread Information