Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Altec 604-8g cabinet help

Altec 604-8g cabinet help

Wondering if someone could help with cabinet dimensions? I have a some altec 604-8g's that need cabinets. Unfortunetly I have to place them on top of altec model 19's to save space. My plan is to use the width and depth of the 19's as the base dimensions. Using 3/4 baltic birch and modeling the cabinets after the 620's 9^3 interior space, would a 30wx19dx34h come close to the recommended cubic feet of the 620 box.

Thanks for any help, and thanks to all for the posts that you all have placed on this site.

With all due respect, are you saying you don't know how to calculate the volume of the cabinet you have shown dimensions for?

Quote Originally Posted by miker View Post
    With all due respect, are you saying you don't know how to calculate the volume of the cabinet you have shown dimensions for?
    I guess I was looking for some reassurance that is all, or maybe some ideas from speaker builders who know a lot more than I. This would be a fairly wide cabinet so it might not be a good idea.

Okay, the volume works out pretty well. The cabinet will need some internal bracing due to the size of the panels. It's going to be very heavy and I myself would not want to set it on top of a pair of Altec 19's. If you decide to sit them directly on the floor, then the height of the driver ends of being lower than optimum. Seems like a lot of work for a compromised cabinet design. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by miker View Post
    Okay, the volume works out pretty well. The cabinet will need some internal bracing due to the size of the panels. It's going to be very heavy and I myself would not want to set it on top of a pair of Altec 19's. If you decide to sit them directly on the floor, then the height of the driver ends of being lower than optimum. Seems like a lot of work for a compromised cabinet design. Just my opinion.
    It may be compromised, but in space I have, they have to go on top of 19's. Thanks for the input! I understand that the model 19's bases on many have rotted away and I assume that the material in the cabs is the same. Perhaps a large speaker on top makes little sense. Maybe there is a comprimise that works? Thanks for the input! I certainly appreciate it!

Go For It !

I'd go for it ! But keep in mind that the 604's are point source and they aren't real good off -axis.They were designed as studio monitors which for all intense of purposes they are or should be at ear level or pointing at your ears.The problem is the small sectoral horn on the 604.I have a pair in 612C cabinets and when they are placed at the right height,they sound Fabulous.Nothing sounds better than the LF and HF coming from the same center point, hence (Point Source Speaker) or Duplex.

Now for your other question you can make your cabinet as big as you want.Bigger is always better WRT the bass response "No Such Thing As A Too Big Of A Cabinet" as long as it is properly damped ! Cabinets are only for the LF anyway.The bigger the cabinet the better the bass output/response.Now if you could build some really strong cabinets and put them (604's)on the bottom with the 19's on top you will like the combo much better.But bring a few friends they aren't lite.

Here's a link for a Cabinet volume calculator from "Home Theater Shack" http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...me-calculator/

The 604 should always be at or pointing to your ears and Never above or below them ! Again the 604's small horn is terrible off -axis.
    BTW: I have a pair of Cornwall's at the moment on top of my 19's and i have used the 612's with a 416 and a 1005/288 tar filled combo & tried the 604-8G's on top of the 19's too, and enjoyed them immensely.The Horns need some paint,but they sound good.The 604 wasn't as good so high above my ears though.When your space is limited, do what you have to, to achieve your goals.

Kind Regards ~ AB
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Thanks for the response ALTEC BEST! I truly appreciate it! I think that I have changed my demands do to your's and the other messages I have received. For now I am thinking of the 612 type cabinet or the "big red" type. Until I have a better listening room and at that point, I may try one of the more modern, or a modular cabinet, that can be stacked with either a model 19 configuration/ 604 on the top or the bottom. As far as the big red cabinet I have not heard of anyone using this with 8-g's so I probably will go with the 612 so I can point upside down or right side up. Thanks for your input any other suggestions would also be well received. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    I'd go for it ! But keep in mind that the 604's are point source and they aren't real good off -axis.They were designed as studio monitors which for all intense of purposes they are or should be at ear level or pointing at your ears.
    The 604 should always be at or pointing to your ears and Never above or below them ! Again the 604's small horn is terrible off -axis.
    Sounds like there about as usefull as a pair of headphones

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Funny how Jean Hiraga gets 20,000 for a pair with his cabinets and crossovers for these type of headphones?

Quote Originally Posted by juniper48 View Post
    Funny how Jean Hiraga gets 20,000 for a pair with his cabinets and crossovers for these type of headphones?
    Not sure what that is supposed to tell us ,except there are people with more money to blow on headphone speakers than you or me!!!

I am not going to debate which speaker is the holy grail as there is no such thing, but if a speaker only provides accurate sound reproduction if you are lined in a perfect triangle at the precise elevation, well that is not much of a speaker. You should try standing up and walking around the room, If you can not get pleasure from the experience of hearing music thru out the room, are you really listening to the music or are you listening to the gear.

Not sure what that is supposed to tell us ,except there are people with more money to blow on headphone speakers than you or me!!!

I am not going to debate which speaker is the holy grail as there is no such thing, but if a speaker only provides accurate sound reproduction if you are lined in a perfect triangle at the precise elevation, well that is not much of a speaker. You should try standing up and walking around the room, If you can not get pleasure from the experience of hearing music thru out the room, are you really listening to the music or are you listening to the gear.
    Consider it as a car which will give you the thrill of a lifetime on winding,twisty,snaky roads which challenge any car,but which feels too harsh and fussy driving about the suburbs.As a day to day prospect it could be a challenge.For those snaking,winding climbs up and down mountains there is nothing like it.

You don't live for the suburban drive,now do you?

If he likes them,who should question it?

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    Consider it as a car which will give you the thrill of a lifetime on winding,twisty,snaky roads which challenge any car,but which feels too harsh and fussy driving about the suburbs.As a day to day prospect it could be a challenge.For those snaking,winding climbs up and down mountains there is nothing like it.

You don't live for the suburban drive,now do you?

If he likes them,who should question it?
    I can't understand the connection between a car and a speaker system.

I can't understand the connection between a car and a speaker system.
    You have my sympathies.

A statement like that says one thing ! Absolutely No Experience with the 604 at all !

Until you have had the opportunity to audition a clean pair,then I would refrain from commenting because are you trying to help him or criticize his speakers.The gentleman was looking for assistance.The 604-8G's setup in a small room sound Fabulous IMHO.See I was trying to help because I have both 19's & 604G's.Awesome clarity and is why the 604's were a staple in recording studios for such a long time.

This is the pair I had got awhile back and was cleaning them up, have since put new grill cloth on them, and I'm going to repainted them .

Name:  HPIM2237.jpg
Views: 4740
Size:  94.3 KB
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    A statement like that says one thing ! Absolutely No Experience with the 604 at all !

Until you have had the opportunity to audition a clean pair,then I would refrain from commenting because are you trying to help him or criticize his speakers.
    I was only replying to your statement where you mentioned if your not perfectly in alignment with the 604 horn they are somewhat lacking.

I think you said "aren't really good off-axis"

Thread Information