Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jbl 4435 with 2405 and sub 1500

Jbl 4435 with 2405 and sub 1500

Hi all

recieved my sub 1500's from guys on the forum ( thanx woody and darminder).

i have been playing around with them and put a pair in my new jbl's i built and
    they sound great.

the system is bi amped with krell ksa 100s on the top end and 1200watt australian
    monitor on the bottom end...big sound and dynamic with the modified crossover...
    done by e friend on the forum aswell ( thanx jarrod !! ).

i just love these subs, the best i listened too !! i am enjoying them very much
    Name:  IMG_0738.jpg
Views: 10822
Size:  87.4 KB

Hi
    nice looking speakers!
    But are these two 15 inchers in separate cabinets (I think the stock 4435 has only one cabinet for the pair of 15")?
    The SUB1500 calls for a lower tuning, but more important its xmax is much higher than the 2235's and it might cause serious issues!

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Hi
    nice looking speakers!
    But are these two 15 inchers in separate cabinets (I think the stock 4435 has only one cabinet for the pair of 15")?
    The SUB1500 calls for a lower tuning, but more important its xmax is much higher than the 2235's and it might cause serious issues!
    Yes they are in separate enclosures, the tuning is done via external crossover. I'm just playing around, can't help myself. My friend has done the same with great results. He is happy with the sound....tri amped 4435's big sound !!!!!

Then you must have one of the early 4435 that had a separate enclosure for each woof if I remember correctly. Lucky you!

By tuning I meant the reflex port tuning frequency.
    It is @26Hz in each 140L enclosure.
    The Sub1500 would more call for something like 20Hz in such big (for this woofer) enclosures. And you would have to tune as low as 15Hz to get the same response curve as the 2234 (ie have a flat summation), and have it go a full octave lower than the 2234. You even try it sealed, by blocking the port in the sub1500 cab.

EDIT: looking more closely to your photos it looks like the is not a stock 4435, but DIY that you made, so maybe my tuning frequency calcultations are wrong. What are your actual volumes and tuning freqs ?

These speakers are the same measurements as original 4435's.... I have an original pair
    I used for calculations.Cabinets volumes are the same I just added a 2405 tweeter to the crossover,they are original crossovers with better caps and other pieces like hovland caps.The result is a great inprovement.as for tuning I am yet to do this,not very technical minded or experienced at doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeNelis View Post
    Hi all

recieved my sub 1500's from guys on the forum ( thanx woody and darminder).

i have been playing around with them and put a pair in my new jbl's i built and
    they sound great.

the system is bi amped with krell ksa 100s on the top end and 1200watt australian
    monitor on the bottom end...big sound and dynamic with the modified crossover...
    done by e friend on the forum aswell ( thanx jarrod !! ).

i just love these subs, the best i listened too !! i am enjoying them very much
    Name:  IMG_0738.jpg
Views: 10822
Size:  87.4 KB
    Such a beauty! I have enough patience to wait for it when you are tired of
    46 lover

The 4425, 30, and 35's have always looked and sounded wonderful. On paper the 2405 is not needed but looks in my opinion great. Since you have an original pair and the new ones with the 2405, how do they differ in sound. My opinion, it looks great, almost like they were never originally finished now that I have seen yours.
    Mark
    Well why not it's just one more pair...
    4340's and 250ti's what an odd pair...

Quote Originally Posted by jbl_daddy View Post
    The 4425, 30, and 35's have always looked and sounded wonderful. On paper the 2405 is not needed but looks in my opinion great. Since you have an original pair and the new ones with the 2405, how do they differ in sound. My opinion, it looks great, almost like they were never originally finished now that I have seen yours.
    Mark
    They sound amazing, the tweeter in my opinion works well. Over stock 4435's these are a lot better, high quality crossover parts, 4 full recones on the 2234h, also double skinned,very heavy. Very happy.

Great idea to add the 2405! My 4430 & 4435's are very interesting sounding, almost sweet compared to my L300's, L100T & 4345's. But they definitely are difficult to distinguish instruments & detail as they have zero hi-end. I've never understood why these are liked so well by some on this forum. 2 questions - can you forward the top xover diagram and why did you add another top section rather than placing the 2405 on the horn level, similar to a 43xx?

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Then you must have one of the early 4435 that had a separate enclosure for each woof if I remember correctly. Lucky you!

By tuning I meant the reflex port tuning frequency.
    It is @26Hz in each 140L enclosure.
    The Sub1500 would more call for something like 20Hz in such big (for this woofer) enclosures. And you would have to tune as low as 15Hz to get the same response curve as the 2234 (ie have a flat summation), and have it go a full octave lower than the 2234. You even try it sealed, by blocking the port in the sub1500 cab.

EDIT: looking more closely to your photos it looks like the is not a stock 4435, but DIY that you made, so maybe my tuning frequency calcultations are wrong. What are your actual volumes and tuning freqs ?
    My 4435 were 1994 models and they have a seperate charge for each driver too. Are you sure that such design exist for the original 4435 ?
    JoeNelis, your system is superb.
    Regards Stephane

Obsolete
    Great idea to add the 2405!
    Personal preference. The system really doesn't need it. And now that Be diaphragms for the 1.75-inch drivers are apparently going to be available in the near future...
    But they definitely are difficult to distinguish instruments & detail as they have zero hi-end. I've never understood why these are liked so well by some on this forum.
    Because they are outstanding loudspeakers with plenty of top end and a low fatigue factor (especially compared with their older 43xx siblings)?

The 4430/4435 can be just as obnoxious as any other loudspeaker if the L-Pads aren't carefully adjusted, the room is wacked or the electronics aren't a good match.

It took me a long time to come up with something better but it finally happened with the 2234H/2235H replaced by the 1500AL and the 2425H/2344A replaced by the 476BE/H4338.

Quote Originally Posted by remusr View Post
    Great idea to add the 2405! My 4430 & 4435's are very interesting sounding, almost sweet compared to my L300's, L100T & 4345's. But they definitely are difficult to distinguish instruments & detail as they have zero hi-end. I've never understood why these are liked so well by some on this forum. 2 questions - can you forward the top xover diagram and why did you add another top section rather than placing the 2405 on the horn level, similar to a 43xx?
    Sorry don't have a drawing for the top end, I know it was made for me by a technician and was really simple design. I went with the top section after many listening sessions and ended up with this ......it sounded the best to me, other people may disagree and that's fine, but everyone is different. I was a my friends house today listening to his system... 4435's tri amped 2425 2234 and sub1500 and the sound on home theatre is unbelievable !!! Loud and very clean punchy sound.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Personal preference. The system really doesn't need it. And now that Be diaphragms for the 1.75-inch drivers are apparently going to be available in the near future...
    Because they are outstanding loudspeakers with plenty of top end and a low fatigue factor (especially compared with their older 43xx siblings)?

The 4430/4435 can be just as obnoxious as any other loudspeaker if the L-Pads aren't carefully adjusted, the room is wacked or the electronics aren't a good match.

It took me a long time to come up with something better but it finally happened with the 2234H/2235H replaced by the 1500AL and the 2425H/2344A replaced by the
    476BE/H4338.
    That system sounds very impressive !!! I would like to try some Be drivers in the future if I could obtain some and yes I agree electronics make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeNelis View Post
    That system sounds very impressive !!! I would like to try some Be drivers in the future if I could obtain some and yes I agree electronics make a difference.
    Are the Be drivers really so superior? I don't think so
    perhaps their curve maybe excellent,but we enthusiasts are only fond of old JBLs which with special temptation and sound tasteful
    46 lover

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    Are the Be drivers really so superior? I don't think so
    perhaps their curve maybe excellent,but we enthusiasts are only fond of old JBLs which with special temptation and sound tasteful
    Okie dokie!

Thread Information