Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Influence sound the most: amp or pre-amp?

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Please explain what you mean ? Surely a signal is a signal . A capacitor will not discriminate between analog and digital !

Rich
    I think he meant that since signals from a CD player or a tuner have basically the right output level to drive an amplifier, the preamp is nothing more than an attenuator control in the signal path.

However in the case of magnetic cartridges and tape heads, a lot of processing is needed to achieve the level suitable to drive an amplifier, hence the importance of a quality preamplifier.

That's what I understood... I may be wrong.

A few years back I was convinced that the parts at each end of the signal chain influenced sound the most, hence that parts in the middle made less influence.

But later experience have convinced me that any lesser part will stand out. It is of little importance at which point in the signal chain it is located.

So if a test showed that e.g. pre-amps had more influence on a setup than power amps, then my conclusion would be that the pre-amps had higher performance variance than the power amps.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    I think he meant that since signals from a CD player or a tuner have basically the right output level to drive an amplifier, the preamp is nothing more than an attenuator control in the signal path.

However in the case of magnetic cartridges and tape heads, a lot of processing is needed to achieve the level suitable to drive an amplifier, hence the importance of a quality preamplifier.

That's what I understood... I may be wrong.
    Yes, with higher output sources the gain in a preamp in useless, but you still need source selection and volume control. Passive volume controls do tend to be a big impedance mismatch and suck the life out of a hifi signal. FirstWatt has a frighteningly expensive active preamp with no gain, but it sounded terrible on my system. You just have to experiment with this stuff.

Whenever I can I use a high quality, small wattage integrated amp I have. Separates are not always better. Also, the best interconnect is no interconnect.

Quote Originally Posted by yggdrasil View Post
    A few years back I was convinced that the parts at each end of the signal chain influenced sound the most, hence that parts in the middle made less influence.

But later experience have convinced me that any lesser part will stand out. It is of little importance at which point in the signal chain it is located.

So if a test showed that e.g. pre-amps had more influence on a setup than power amps, then my conclusion would be that the pre-amps had higher performance variance than the power amps.
    That should be made a sticky, or at least framed.

And, what Grumpy and Krunchy said!
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    That should be made a sticky, or at least framed.

And, what Grumpy and Krunchy said!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    I agree with Rich, I think Grumpy put forth a very eloquent explanation, couldnt have said it better myself.

Hi Tom,
    I am not intimately familiar with McIntosh, have heard a pre once & really liked it (hooked up to an adcom amp). That said, what model amp & pre do you have, I would think that unless you have some low end Mc gear (if such a thing exists?) you should be in pretty good shape as far as equipment. Why are you curious about this now, do you feel its time for a change or that there is room for improvement (a slippery slope at best my friend). Also, what speakers are you using with the Mc, you may have listed that info else where, I'm not sure. As for wires & interconnects there have been a few threads here delving into those issues, so feel free to research there.

I've heard SS, Mosfets, Tube, SS & tube hybrids and they all have their charm, its mostly a very objective thing at least for me, but I have to aggre with this particular sentece from Grumpy....

Have fun & let us know how you fare, pictures are always welcomed

Hi,

I am keeping the pre amp-I like it. I am thinking of changing up the amp to one of the following:

McIntosh MC501 mono blocks
    Marantz MA9S2 monoblocks
    Pass lab X350.5

I have an idea of the what to expect with the McIntosh but am unsure of the rest-other than the reviews. Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    Hi,

Pass lab X350.5

I have an idea of the what to expect with the McIntosh but am unsure of the rest-other than the reviews. Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks.
    Ian, Widget, you have a possible acolyte in waiting here.

Tom, Pass Labs is very nice, but I'm not the advocate that these guys are. Hopefully they'll chime in, or you could PM them to get a response sooner.
    Out.

If you're willing to pay shipping, which isn't insignificant, you can have a 10 day in-home audition of the Pass X350.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Ian, Widget, you have a possible acolyte in waiting here.

Tom, Pass Labs is very nice, but I'm not the advocate that these guys are. Hopefully they'll chime in, or you could PM them to get a response sooner.
    Nothing new to say really.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    If you're willing to pay shipping, which isn't insignificant, you can have a 10 day in-home audition of the Pass X350.5.
    A very generous offer. I would strongly suggest taking Jeff up on it as there is no better way to find out what you like than to actually try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    I am keeping the pre amp-I like it. I am thinking of changing up the amp to one of the following:
    As has been pointed out in an earlier post, the weakest link in the chain will be something of a gatekeeper. I am not suggesting that your preamp is not excellent, I have no idea, but in my experience I have never been blown away with any Mac preamp and assuming for just a moment that this is not simple personal bias, then the Mac may render the amp choice less important. I am only suggesting it as a possibility and am absolutely not condemning your choice of keeping the preamp.

Widget

It ain't me!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

A very generous offer. I would strongly suggest taking Jeff up on it as there is no better way to find out what you like than to actually try it out.
    I don't have an X350.5, but a well known online Pass Labs dealer in Nevada has the policy.

Google "Pass Labs" and the first hit will be the place. You have to purchase the amp, they send it to you. You try it out and ship it back if it doesn't suit you.

I didn't mention names since I didn't want to step on any toes.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    I didn't mention names since I didn't want to step on any toes.
    I assume you mean Reno Hi Fi then? You can mention Reno Hi Fi. I just mentioned Reno Hi Fi. In fact you can mention any dealer who is generous enough to make that sort of offer. Well, you can mention the other dealers too.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Well, you can mention the other dealers too.

Widget
    May I mention Design Interaction? Oh, I just did. Unfortunately that's totally off topic, so I'm not going write Design Interaction again... er, dammit
    Out.

Thread Information