Thread: JBL model 4627

JBL model 4627

Hello,
    i have a pair of JBL 4627's ( the 4627, with a E145-8 and the 2901A High-Frequency Power Pack, a 2410 compression driver on the 2301 perforated-plate horn-lens with a high-pass network.) and I cannot hear anything out of the high frequency speakers.
    I thought I would just take them apart and have a look inside to test the drivers etc. but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to open them up! I have managed to remove the front grill and was able to remove the screws holding the horn-lens and driver but it is still "stuck"
    and other than being able to get my arm into the tuning holes, I cannot inspect the speakers
    or anything else. i have a pdf drawing of the enclosure and all it's parts but I still cannot figure out how to open it. If I remove the corner protectors will I find screws? Please help!! Also what do those turnable knobs do (L-pad)?
    Many thanks and any ideas of why I do not hear high frequency horns would be helpful.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Cab...ries/4627A.pdf

Remove the woofer and there will be enough room for you to work.
    Check all of the connections and then the continuity of the HF driver with a meter.
    Knobs are an L pad.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your project.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Need some technical help.

Okay, so I eventually was able to remove the speakers from the cabinet.
    The woofer is a 140 8 ohm (is supposed to be a 145 in this series).
    I tried to measure the Ohmage on the tweeter but got no reading.
    I suppose this means that it is blown!! So buying and installing a new diaphragm will solve
    this problem, right?
    The tweeter is a 16 Ohm 2410 driver with the 2301 "Potato masher" horn. These horns do not seem to be greatly appreciated in this forum and I was wondering why??
    Anyway I read that the original diaphragm was Aluminium. There are some originals available "D16R2410" but they cost over $300 each!! The aftermarket 2425 would apparently fit the 2410, is made out of Titanium, and only costs $75.
    So what should I get??
    Oh, and when I do get new ones how do I replace them?? I don't want to damage something else because of my ignorance!
    The question came to mind, why did they blow in the first place?
    Before I got them they were being used for music production, mostly synthesizer. Maybe some deeper frequencies were not being filtered out properly??
    The crossover circuit is in a sealed riveted box.
    How do I open this to check the elements?
    When I turn the L-pad I measure from 0 Ohms to about 5 Ohms in the middle and then goes back to zero. Is that the correct behavior for the L-pad??
    I have only checked one speaker so far so I don't have a comparison between the two, but the other one is surely blown as well since I was hearing nothing out of the tweeter.
    I hope someone can help me out,
    many thanks

The crossover circuit is in a sealed riveted box.
    How do I open this to check the elements?
    When I turn the L-pad I measure from 0 Ohms to about 5 Ohms in the middle and then goes back to zero. Is that the correct behavior for the L-pad??
    Hi

I answered a very similar L-Pad question to yours recently.
    The resistance when measured from the high frequency output will go to zero or very nearly zero when the L-Pad is set at its minimum setting because of the shunt resistance between pins 1 and 2. And the resistance will also be zero or very nearly zero when the L-Pad is set at its maximum setting because current can flow through the L1 coil. So, it is normal for the resistance to be higher at it about its mid-point setting. This is because you are measuring the both the L-Pad’s series resistance between pins 2 and 3 combined with the coils dc resistance and the L-Pad’s shunt resistance. So, 5 ohms at a mid-point setting would not be unusual.

Baron030

Thread Information