Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JBL 240Ti value

The Ti series were really purist speakers that can be a little boring sounding until you get used to them and or appreciate what they do. I think the 240Ti would be a little more user friendly than the 250Ti which can really require the right room and placement.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    I think the 240Ti would be a little more user friendly than the 250Ti which can really require the right room and placement.

Mike
    as a 250Ti owner , I have not found that to be the case...they are much easier to place than an L7.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    I'd think that most of the tweeters have the same or similar problems as mine did by now. We all know that foam rubber doesn't last forever.

The whole Ti series is so nice (mechanically and physically) that it's just a shame JBL didn't use another material such as felt.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    The whole Ti series is so nice (mechanically and physically) that it's just a shame JBL didn't use another material such as felt.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    The whole Ti series is so nice (mechanically and physically)
    The speaker that I'd like to audition is the little discussed 120Ti ...they seem to get no "ink time" .....really enjoyed the L-166 and hope the 120 might be a good extension of that model ??

nice family
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete
    The 120Ti was very nice for a twelve-inch three-way bookshelf loudspeaker. I have alot of time logged in front of the whole series. I thought they were all quite good. The tweeter issue is, well, an issue. The foam is a problem with ANY JBL loudspeaker that uses it. Even the foam in the recone kits goes to hell after a certain number of years. While it is certainly better than Lans-A-Loy from a longevity standpoint it still breaks down eventually. Lans-A-Loy was arguably the best surround material ever invented from a purely functional diaphragm termination perspective. Too bad it couldn't survive on this planet.

I bought a pair of 120's from a forum member a few years back. They are my "daily drivers" as they are on in my office all day while I work. They replaced - and sound very similar to - the 4410's I used to have up here. I originally lent them to a friend who was considering leaving the Klipsch fold. We spent a lot of time comparing them to his Forte's and while the 120's produced far superior bass, the mids and highs just did not have that transparency he had become accustomed to. Of course they aren't horn-loaded with 98db efficiency so it surely wasn't an apples/apples comparison. His wife loved them ("the Klipsches are always SHOUTING at me and are JUST TOO LOUD") but he decided to keep the Forte's. So much for WAF .

The 120's might be the best of the legacy JBL 12" 3-ways, but may not compare to a more modern design like the LSR32. If you like the sound of an L100T/t3, 4410, 4412, etc, you might want to check out a pair while they are still undervalued.

Or you might wish to pass knowing the 044Ti's in them may be living on borrowed time...depends on how you view this whole foam damper busniess.

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    I bought a pair of 120's from a forum member a few years back. They are my "daily drivers" as they are on in my office all day while I work. They replaced - and sound very similar to - the 4410's I used to have up here. I originally lent them to a friend who was considering leaving the Klipsch fold. We spent a lot of time comparing them to his Forte's and while the 120's produced far superior bass, the mids and highs just did not have that transparency he had become accustomed to. Of course they aren't horn-loaded with 98db efficiency so it surely wasn't an apples/apples comparison. His wife loved them ("the Klipsches are always SHOUTING at me and are JUST TOO LOUD") but he decided to keep the Forte's. So much for WAF .

The 120's might be the best of the legacy JBL 12" 3-ways, but may not compare to a more modern design like the LSR32. If you like the sound of an L100T/t3, 4410, 4412, etc, you might want to check out a pair while they are still undervalued.

Or you might wish to pass knowing the 044Ti's in them may be living on borrowed time...depends on how you view this whole foam damper busniess.

jblnut
    thanx for your perspective on the 120Ti ..tho I find it unusual to compare them to 4410's (which I enjoyed) and 4412's (not so much)

in actuality , I dont need more speakers. there is already a que of them waiting for something in use to develop a problem..so that they can get their moment in the spotlight.

Grumpy & I kinda hashed out that 044Ti foam thang here ....http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ns-Help-needed ...and I took pictures.

and

(..sometimes making a coherent forum post is harder than swapping out that foam)

Interesting to review this thread so many years later. And great to revisit Seawolf's commentary (may he RIP) and others who no longer contribute as frequently.

Now that I am a 240ti owner for over a week, I find these a very pleasant speaker to listen to. I got my wife to enter the Speaker Dungeon to hear them and she liked them enough to ask if she could have them in her room. I hesitated to ask what "her room" was, but . . .

I'll be doing the re-surround as soon as Rick's kits arrive. I ordered four since I've still not done my 250ti that are still stored in the boxes at my old house. This may be just the ticket to get me going on both.

When I got these, one tweeter wasn't working (long story described elsewhere here), so I had no fear in taking it apart to check it out and look at the dreaded foam issue. For my first time, it was really not much of a problem to disassemble them. I've been in nearly every variant of the 044 so taking out the o-ring, screen, and magnet assembly is simple. I found a heat gun, a stainless "spudger" set I bought for iPod battery replacement, and ultimately a very thin putty knife was all I needed. Emphasis on the heat-gun. Even with the applied heat, the foam plug was supple and not sticky even at over 35-years. That was encouraging and maybe I'll concoct a felt replacement now that I have no fear of opening these up for periodic maintenance.

Visuals, just for the heck of it:

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

All done and breaking in the surrounds—in case they need it. Sound pretty good right now.
    It's a little late to be blasting them!

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Awesome speakers, I've always liked the look of both.

Good ole Seawolf, his commentary is missed.

I was "allowed" some loud listening time this evening after work and I have to say these are quite impressive.

Like most upper-level JBLs, you have to feed them good recordings or they'll drive you batshit crazy. I started with what was in the CD player all night working the surrounds—Michael Hedges Live on the Double Planet. I could have listened for hours. Next up was Daft Punk but even as much as I love Nathan East, I just tire of the electronic vocals very quickly. From there I jumped to Bill Evans Quintessence which starts out with "Sweet Dulcinea Blue" and that fantastic interplay between Harold Land on tenor sax and Kenny Burrell on guitar. I know it probably sounded even better on my 4345s but it was pretty sublime with the 240ti and the Crown Studio Reference-II. From there I moved to Dire Straits' On Every Street which seemed perfectly matched to the voicing of the 240ti with both attenuators at -2dB. I tried some of my favorite Lizz Wright whose voice and range I love, but here the poor quality of the recording made it no fun to listen to for more than a short moment. No such problem with any CD from the late Chris Whitley I tried.

Easy to get lost in the music and this was the first time I even lit the signal lamps on the Studio Reference-II. These are now keepers and I can't wait to do the re-surround on my 250ti next!

Very cool...

They look great and I bet they do sound nice. Are you listening down in the dungeon, or were you able to take them upstairs where I assume the acoustics are more forgiving?

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Very cool...

They look great and I bet they do sound nice. Are you listening down in the dungeon, or were you able to take them upstairs where I assume the acoustics are more forgiving?
    Acoustics are surprisingly good in the basement speaker dungeon. Rock wool insulation packed into the ceiling with Tyvek covering, waiting for an acoustic tile ceiling at some point. The second-floor "bonus" room is the eventual target but I'll have to finish that one before I'm no longer capable of hauling some of these heavy boxes up the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I was "allowed" some loud listening time this evening after work and I have to say these are quite impressive...

...it was pretty sublime with the 240ti and the Crown Studio Reference-II... ...Easy to get lost in the music and this was the first time I even lit the signal lamps on the Studio Reference-II...

"Allowed." LoL.

Glad to hear that about the SR-II's, getting me all geeked up to receive mine. What can you say about the way it sounds compared to other amps or other Crown amps you've listened to? Is there anything it does fabulously well? Is there something you wish it did better or not at all? Which preamp did you use with it?

Thread Information