Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: JBL 240Ti value

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    What can you say about the way it sounds compared to other amps or other Crown amps you've listened to? Is there anything it does fabulously well? Is there something you wish it did better or not at all? Which preamp did you use with it?
    Those types of evaluations have always been tough for me since I bought my first Crown over 50-years ago to replace a Fisher SA-1000. The McIntosh dealer I used for the Mac Clinics on my C20 had recommended Crown to me and gave me three to take home and try, D60, D150, and DC300. Back then my mind told me each increase in power gave me a "fuller" sound on the JBL 030 system which were my only speakers back then. My decision was based on cost as I was in high-school working summer jobs at a show warehouse, double-carrying golf bags back when they were leather and heavy on one of the hilliest golf courses I've ever seen to pay for my hi-fi and BMW. habit. 36-holes per day where on some holes there was a rope-tow to pull you from one green to the next tee. I still own the D150 and the C20—and the 030 in C35 cabinets. That's a preface in saying most of my experience has been with Crown amps.

Where my test setup is now I had everything running off a Crown Power Line Three and Crown SL2 preamp. The pre-amp developed an imbalance for which it will eventually go to AE Techron for a check-up and I replaced it with a spare Soundcraftsmen Pro-Control-Four, same as what I use in my main bi-amped 4345 system. (I also use a Crown PSL-2 and a JBL/Urei 6260 with L5s in our "Library" room. Both pre-amps do what a pre-amp is supposed to do in offering control over inputs without adding anything downstream, hence the Crown "straight-line" name.

Just like 50-years ago, what I heard when I first hooked up the SR-II was an increase in the fullness of the sound. I can't call it voicing and it has been rare for me to say power-amps that I've owned have any voice at all with the exception of my pair of Soundcraftsmen Pro-Power-Fours which to my ears have a bass-boost built in. I also own Adcom, Carver, and power amps, but the SC is really the only one that seems to color the sound. So I just don't use them. Probably perfect for subs, but I don't use those, either. I acquired the SR-II after I got my 250ti because I knew those really benefitted from more power. I have yet to try that combination but these 240ti are likely a similar situation. And they thrive on the SR-II, though I've never heard the 240ti before and this is the only amp I've tried them on so far.

I don't really see what I could want the amp to "do better". But every speaker system I've hooked it to sounds more "full" and I figured there might be some nuance lost with a big amp and some "sterility" based on those who have commented on the SR-II. The reality is there are nuances and subtleties heard through good speakers with this amp that make the music even more transparent, like looking past the veil into the individual instruments. The presentation, to me, is one of a more "live" sound, which is the point of High Fidelity. Even the lowly Pro-III Plus gain increased clarity with the SR-II. Now, of course, the amp loves to be played loud and increasing volume can alter your perception in any comparison, but it just sucks you in.

What would I want it to do better? I can't imagine what that would be. But given the limits of my amp experience over the years, I may just be ignorant of what I expect from any power amp. It will be interesting to hear what someone else experiences with the Studio Reference-II. And I may not have the audiophile jargon down enough to play this game. But I know what I like and so far this is the one.

Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to work I go. Let us know what you think.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I appreciate the detailed response.

My SL-1 is off at AE Techron now for a dead channel, eager to get that back in the system. I also cannot accurately use all those audiophilic terms. But when I moved to the SL-1 from the Adcom GFP-555, I noticed the mids and highs were clearer? More accurate? The instruments were more discernable, if that makes sense. Percussion kits really stand out now, cymbal/high hat crashes and it's like I can hear the "kiss" of the drum stick on a cymbal when the musician is play softly and if it is a good recording. The SL-1 made the GFP-555 seem fuzzy by comparison, and I really liked the GFP-555 before the SL-1 dropped in.

I think I've read the same reviews you have about the SR-II being dry or sterile. Then again, I've come across thread after thread where people claim all pro amps are garbage and should never be considered or used for home hi-fi. Experience has proven that to be rubbish. Definitely anxious to see how the SR-II compares against my GFA-555 II on bass duties and then my PS-200 for highs on the 813C's. If I had to say anything about the PS-200, it seems a little bass shy, but great everywhere beyond, upper bass (is that thing?) is nice and tight, gives percussion that added thwack and I'd say the highs are airy and accurate, some of the best, if not the best I've heard so far. The GFA-555 II seems bass heavy and a tad dark/relaxed with the upper registers. I enjoy it powering my B460 clones, but the K series amps I had were noticeably tighter.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    When I got these, one tweeter wasn't working (long story described elsewhere here), so I had no fear in taking it apart to check it out and look at the dreaded foam issue. For my first time, it was really not much of a problem to disassemble them. I've been in nearly every variant of the 044 so taking out the o-ring, screen, and magnet assembly is simple. I found a heat gun, a stainless "spudger" set I bought for iPod battery replacement, and ultimately a very thin putty knife was all I needed. Emphasis on the heat-gun. Even with the applied heat, the foam plug was supple and not sticky even at over 35-years. That was encouraging and maybe I'll concoct a felt replacement now that I have no fear of opening these up for periodic maintenance.
    As noted elsewhere, that tweeter "repair" only lasted a couple of days, so I have two u$ed ones coming from California. I also just received four diaphragms I ordered off AliExpress from China. Figured I may as well make the non-working one a project and an experiment!

Any words of advice before I screw up a classic JBL tweeter?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Should work.

Attachment 49085
    Hi guys hope you are all well.

Click the attachment above pls.

I cant believe I posted this in 2010 , thanks to Giskard for the tech suggestion.
    Given that 240's are trading in the US for $750 or less I would have no hesitation in doing a Zilch mod and DSP ing the snot out of them.
    Funny how the M2 came along some years later with much the same form / concept.
    In light of some of the crazy prices asked for audiofool mini's I think this pathway is a no brainer.

Funny how the 250Ti attracted all the attention , yes they were TOTL , I found them to be slightly disconnected sonically un the HF. I put that down to the height which would generally be somewhat above ear level.

These days I'd be looking at replacing the 044 tweets with the small Aurum Cantus ribbon tweet. .

Cheers for now folks . M

240Ti on the side...

Hey mac, all, greetings! Here's how I will say goodbye to mine, and how I think they play best. The reason is of course the high crossover from the woofer; 900Hz. Vocals will for a large part come from the woofer, yet not all - specially higher female voices. To me, this improves coherence of vocals, as does some other tonality issues. If they were staying I'd lift them another 10cm... The reason they are leaving is of course new speakers arriving: 250Ti LTD BQ . Happy Christmas, everyone . Regards, Dagfinn
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information