Thread: "The Sound of Music" (1965) bluray epic win or just another epic bluray fail?

JBL 4645

"The Sound of Music" (1965) bluray epic win or just another epic bluray fail?

I just read this interesting article on the In-70mm and I 100% agree with the author of the article, Stefan Adler.

http://www.in70mm.com/news/2010/som/index.htm

I was fearing the worst in sound since the film was never mixed or released for 70mm 8channles. It was Todd-AO 6track and I think this dtshdma8channel rubbish has gone to their heads without even thinking.

It is so easy to preserve the original 6channel layout for home playback.

How many channels does DVD have? It’s 6! How many channels can 70mm support, last time I checked it was 6.

So just use the common LCR fronts then encode the left-centre and right-centre onto the surround channels! Then use the LFE.1 as full spectrum as I seem to recall reading that LFE.1 is merely a filtered sub bass channel that is limited to 120Hz or its cut-off point where the signal drops down and it’s also useable down below 20Hz.

So use it as single monaural surround channel.

Provide an easy diagram as I guess this would require some thinking for those who haven’t re-plugged for diy five-screen even thou it gets you half way, its still not the Full Monty and you need the original 6rack elements digital stored and preserved and encoded in the same way as it was heard by audiences in (1965).

I was thinking of buying it weeks ago but knew deep down it’s just another epic fail bluray! Not just the studio but bluray that has been shoving down our mouths its better than cinema. If it was better than cinema, then cinema wouldn’t have been invented!

I’d just keep the DVD that I brought years ago, no sense wasting £10.00 on this, even if it was £1.00.

I have other ranting going on here about 5 five-screen a few crazy but doable diy ideas.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...n-reproduction

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information