Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL LE14A and LE 175 Home made cabinets

Yes, and I have nine fingers to prove my way around my workshop!
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Quote Originally Posted by SMKSoundPro View Post
    Hello Mr. Keith!
    Hi Scott, Long time no see.

My DIY C51 has the same type of joints which I followed the plan.

Factory

Those are factory cabs - the joinery is identical to the larger, double 15 models I have in storage.

The crossover looks like the LX2 and I'll bet that cab had the LE20 originally and somewhere along the line the cutout was enlarged for the masher but the crossover was *not* replaced with the lower freq model LX8 because the level control is not a 3pos switch..

details details

BTW I have 9.5 fingers left.

You know Subwoof,
    Frankly, I would sure like to see some of the things you have in storage!

just sayin'...

smk.

heres some more photos, camera died, they arent great, but it gives you some idea of the bracing inside the cabinets, and it seems to be an LX 10 crossover
    Attached Images Attached Images      

one more, what is the deal with the mount for the horn, why does it come out? was it originally meant to fit a different horn?

Quote Originally Posted by jplatel5000 View Post
    one more, what is the deal with the mount for the horn, why does it come out? was it originally meant to fit a different horn?
    I think you have home made cabinets. They are very well made indeed, following the blue-print provided by JBL.

The baffle cutout is designed to mount any woofers/comp. drivers/horns available then.
    The blue print showed woofer mounting cutout size for 15 inches. You make different adapter mounting plates for smaller sizes such as 14, 12 and 8 inches. Your cabinet cutout is for 14 inches. I guess the doctor decided to have 14 inches not 15.

Your horn/driver mounting plates is one of them.
    You can mount 075 in place of LE175 by using different adapter plate.

How would you recommend i go about refurbishing these.

If there is anyone who has done restoration work on these before, or similar cabinets. that would be willing to give me advice, it would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jplatel5000 View Post
    How would you recommend i go about refurbishing these.

If there is anyone who has done restoration work on these before, or similar cabinets. that would be willing to give me advice, it would be appreciated.
    I have no experience restoring old cabinets but I have constructed several new cabinets from ground up.

If I was you, I would paint baffles and back panels flat black. Just like original Apollo.
    Take a look pictures EARL K posted at the beginning of this thread.

From pictures you posted, it is hard to see but I guess top and side panels are not plywood. They look pretty good to me.

Inside of cabinet walls except baffle need to be covered with sound absorbing material.
    I do not know which panel but your picture shows bare surface.

Others may give you better suggestions.

My recommendation for refinishing them is to use Howard's Restore a Finish followed by Howard's Feed n Wax. I apply the Restore Finish with super fine steel wool. This treatment is very easy to do and will produce amazing results. It won't remove deep scratches and/or stains but it will make that old veneer shine. I personnally like the look with a few old battle scars left in place. Sort of a vintage patina.

Try that and see how it looks.

35 years old project

Almost 35 years ago I started this project but I could not finish.
    This thread reminded me this project I almost forgot.
    I think I know what to do next summer.

Thank you.

resto underway

ive got one of the cabinets taped up and ready for paint. i dont know how long its going to be before i start, but rest assured i will post pictures of it along the way.

half done with painting

Ive already got the baffle and back painted on one of the cabinets, the other is being sanded and prepped for paint. I plan on picking up some howard restore a finish as soon as i can find a place that supplies it. the flat black looks great, and the veneer cleaned up alright with just a little TLC, but it could afford a little more work.

whats the general consensus on grille cloth here, im thinking that the walnut veneer and flat black baffles / backs would look great with the "monitor blue" cloth. i dont know if it was an option for the apollo speaker, but then again this isnt a jbl factory made cabinet. I just want the speaker to have a distinctive JBL look to it, and i think the blue grille would help that.

do you guys know what badge these speakers would have had on them from the factory, and if they were supplied with kits/plans purchased from JBL? if not, do you think it would be dishonest to put JBL badges on them?

i apologize for not posting pictures, but my digital camera crapped out on me.

as soon as i can source a new camera, ill be sure to post some

photos

I have my EN8 cabinets covered with a black stretchy spandex fabric that Lisa had when she was sewing for a living, and I think that the darker walnut of 30 years of medium watco oil applied is good, but I also see wear its not great. I now understand the dark chocolate brown colored grill cloth as it tends to blend in with the color of the veneer.

(I have personally always liked the blue. Never the tan, and frankly I have never really liked the orange.)

I have always liked some of the vintage 40-50's style of grill cloth that was used on larger radios. Name:  EN8 Covers 5.jpg
Views: 1860
Size:  321.4 KB

So Lisa made me some covers that cover the whole EN8 (similiar to a 434x or 4508) cabinet that we used for a New Years Eve gig for the Opera Society. The party planners company is ALL about how it looks rather than the obvious.

Bottom Line is, Have some fun and make them your own!
    Scotty.

Thread Information