Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: How far have you driven for JBL's?

How far would you drive for these?

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649934615-jbl-4345/

Those are currently for sale on our Marketplace

1200 miles!

I always wanted a pair of piano black 250ti's, and a pair came up 4 years ago in Minnesota. I n perfect condition for 3k, so I drove 1,200 miles to pick them up. They sure can handle lots of power but at average volume the sound is a little dead. My home burnt down 2 years ago, fortunately they were in my separate man cave. Only damage was fireman throwing them around. I don't have time to repair them, so if anyone's interested......

How Far?

Emma and I drive to Right Coast Recording in Columbia PA for the 4341 monitors I bought in 2007.
    Emma and I drove to Morgantown, WV for some big UREI monitors at one point.
    I paid a U-SHip guy and his wife to bring me a pair of L212s from FLA.
    I paid a friend (and tipped well) when he brought a B-460 sub to me from Ft. Meyer, FLA when he moved to the DC area.

Now all I have is a small Honda Fit, so no more big speaker hauling by me ...
    (Tho I did haul the B460 home from Stafford, VA in the Fit ...)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I drove from Tallahassee, FL to Knoxville, TN to DELIVER a one owner pair of L100s to a guy on my way to Nashville to see my Daughter. LONG trip. I drove 4 1/2 hours to south Florida from Tallahassee, FL to pick up my 4430 monitors from a studio closing down. What we won't do.

I drove from Enterprise, Alabama to Norfolk Virginia to pick up my L300s around 1600 miles round trip. All I had to get them on was a 1995 Buick LeSabre. After carefully measuring the back seat area I found if I took the left rear door and the back seats out they would fit. A friend of mine went with me and we took the back door off, put the speakers in and the grills and horn lens in the trunk put the door back on and arrived back safe and sound.

Quote Originally Posted by alskinner View Post
    …we took the back door off, put the speakers in and the grills and horn lens in the trunk put the door back on and arrived back safe and sound.
    Wow!

You deserve an award for dedication!

Widget

I drove from Enterprise, Alabama to Norfolk Virginia to pick up my L300s around 1600 miles round trip. All I had to get them on was a 1995 Buick LeSabre. After carefully measuring the back seat area I found if I took the left rear door and the back seats out they would fit. A friend of mine went with me and we took the back door off, put the speakers in and the grills and horn lens in the trunk put the door back on and arrived back safe and sound.
    Not to get them, but with them:

When I transferred to VA to go to college in 1973, I wanted to take my JBL 030 in their mismatched cabinets. I had my Dad's original set in an Acousticraft (maybe) cabinet and another I'd bought as a singleton to go with it in a JBL C37 cabinet. I was traveling in a rather small BMW 1600 2dr sedan, but I figured out if I put the back seat bottom cushion in the trunk and put a piece of plywood over where it had been, My JBLs would fit with one aimed forward and one sideways. Then I figured if they were in there, why not connect them to the cassette player in the car. So I did. Roughly an 800-mile drive listening to my prized JBL in the car the whole way. Better than headphones!

Here's the car just before that trip:

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

About ten years ago, I drove from Pasadena, CA to San Ysidro, CA (about 3 miles north of the U.S.-Mexico border), a 300 mile round trip, on a Wednesday evening to purchase a pair of never used, still-in-the-box JBL L96s. Those familiar with weekday Southern California traffic will know that this felt more like a 600 mile journey than a 300 mile one. I got home well after midnight, and the trip was well worth it, as I was miraculously the first of about 25 potential buyers that called the seller the day those were listed. They were completely intact (with the white/blue JBL tags) and in immaculate condition, other than soft surrounds which were replaced by Ken at Upland Loudspeaker. I still have them, and will never get rid of them.

In contrast (even though it's not the question posed by the OP): the shortest I've ever driven for a pair of JBLs was less than 3 miles to purchase my factory-original 4344s, which I also will never sell!
    https://www.echomountainaudio.com
    Charge-Coupled Crossover PCBs

Wow! That's awesome (and some serious dedication).
    https://www.echomountainaudio.com
    Charge-Coupled Crossover PCBs

Quote Originally Posted by mattking52 View Post
    In contrast (even though it's not the question posed by the OP): the shortest I've ever driven for a pair of JBLs was less than 3 miles to purchase my factory-original 4344s, which I also will never sell!
    I'll hop on that shortest question you've opened up. More than a decade ago, I saw a local Craig's List ad for a pair of L7s and followed up with the seller. I'd never even heard an L7 in person, but had read with great interest the entire thread here started by T-Dome and was intrigued. Turns out the seller was a medical student living in a house two-houses down the road from me (well, one house and a horse farm), so less than a half-mile. I walked over and he hooked them up to show me they were working. He had bought them from another med student who was moving and now it was his turn. As I recall he was asking around $700 for them and I told him I was more curious than serious—at that price. Since he was in a hurry to complete his move to the next phase of his (Medical) life, he asked what I might consider paying for them. I tossed out $200, and he accepted. So I walked back to my house and got my Toyota truck to pick up the speakers.

Well, now I'm remembering, someone three houses down the street (on the other side, actually closer than the L7 house) was offering stereo equipment for free. Can't turn that down. Turned out to be a compact Denon system with two sets of small speakers, one of which was a pair of JBL 2500, I think. My daughter has them now in California. Free is good. A quarter-mile walk to get them was easy. The other pair were some small Missions, which are still around here somewhere. It all comes back to me now that my daughter had the Missions setup in her Astoria, NY apartment when her cat knocked one off the table and broke one of the banana jacks on the back. I swapped them for the JBLs and replaced the connector on the Missions. All's well that ends well.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information