Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Jbl 4365

Quote Originally Posted by DK11706 View Post
    Before you buy any JBL speakers from Asia be warned that I was told by JBL that a western world model is different compared to a asian model even if the model number is the same (they are all build in mexico). Cabinets and units are the same, but they are tuned differently.

I asked JBL because I found 2 sets of specs. for a model 4429. Not saying its true........but it's worth checking before buying.
    Will you let us see the specs. ?

Link 1 from JBL EMEA:
    http://eu.jbl.com/jbl_product_detail_eu/jbl-studio-monitor-4429.html

Same model from Harman in Japan:

Look at the frequency response.

http://jbl.harman-japan.co.jp/product.php?id=4429

The tweeter is also supposed to be a few db louder as default, as many asians seems to prefers that.

Before you buy any JBL speakers from Asia be warned that I was told by JBL that a western world model is different compared to a asian model even if the model number is the same (they are all build in mexico). Cabinets and units are the same, but they are tuned differently.

I asked JBL because I found 2 sets of specs. for a model 4429. Not saying its true........but it's worth checking before buying.
    Really?who told you that?
    It can not be truth.
    46 lover

The tweeter is also supposed to be a few db louder as default, as many asians seems to prefers that.
    OKAY ..this response is from shaky personal knowledge and NOT a knock on anyone.

Have you ever noticed Asians speaking rather loud in stores ?? Wondered why ?

Those who are old enough to shop for this type of gear were born when childhood inoculations were not as important as feeding the people ... many countries (not really Japan tho) did not give childhood TB shots to the population . In SE Asia , everybody had an exposure to tuberculous (including me , having lived there a bit .. I was treated for a year after return to CONUS at 23) .... they developed perforated ear drums , which decrease hearing sensitivity. This doesn't ever "self repair".

As I said, this is personal theory and I've not read it anywhere.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I am not sure I agree given the number of 4343s in Japan and Asia and very large horn systems.

Contemporary listening tastes aside, would not call the West Coast sound an audiophile experience and I have no doubt JBL (Japan) wants to distance the brand from that.

FWIW, I heard the 4365 recently, I'd need to hear it again but did not do it for me.

Try looking at the 4429, best buy if you ask me. So well balanced and smooth but also kinda cruel and powerful, the only real downside is that they need to be turned up loud to be at their best

I bought a used DBX Driverack 260 with microphone today. I will try to get the best out of my 4365s with active crossover.

I have never worked with crossovers before, so any hints and tips are welcome.

I will make it a 2-way and skip the UHF-driver. Crossover around 800Hz to start with. I know a guy in Norway (goophy) that uses 850Hz on his 4365s.

How do I now which delay-time to set? Should I measure the distance-difference between the compression-driver and the bass-element? Or should I measure this with the microphone?

What filter type for crossover should I use to start with?

Selections are:

• BS (Bessel) with a slope of 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB/Octave.
    • BW (Butterworth ) with a slope of 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB/Octave.
    • LR (Linkwitz-Riley) with a slope of 12, 24, 36, or 48 dB/Octave.

Anyone knows if the Auto-EQ in the DBX 260 is of any use?

Goophy, if you are reading this, how did you connect to the 1501fe-element, did you reach it from behind the speaker-terminals on the backside?

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    I bought a used DBX Driverack 260 with microphone today. I will try to get the best out of my 4365s with active crossover.

I will make it a 2-way and skip the UHF-driver. Crossover around 800Hz to start with. I know a guy in Norway (goophy) that uses 850Hz on his 4365s.

How do I now which delay-time to set? Should I measure the distance-difference between the compression-driver and the bass-element? Or should I measure this with the microphone?

Selections are:

Anyone knows if the Auto-EQ in the DBX 260 is of any use?

Goophy, if you are reading this, how did you connect to the 1501fe-element, did you reach it from behind the speaker-terminals on the backside?

No simple answer for what you are asking. The approach I am using when I do active crossover (not the 4365 though) is to measure each driver seperately and assign the slope+filters which makes each driver follow a 24db/oct LR response. Then I measure then LF driver and HF driver seperately again and analyse the phase response around the crossover to set the correct delay.

Get an audio interface and a measurement mic. A small amp can also be of use. I use the Focusrite Scarlett Ii2i, there is a thread about it in Swedish Hififourm. Are you a member?

You can measure distance to sound source in Holmimpulse. Arta is another good free measurement program.

Linkwitz-Riley 24 dB is the way to go.

Mårten

Quote Originally Posted by more10 View Post
    Get an audio interface and a measurement mic. A small amp can also be of use. I use the Focusrite Scarlett Ii2i, there is a thread about it in Swedish Hififourm. Are you a member?

You can measure distance to sound source in Holmimpulse. Arta is another good free measurement program.

Linkwitz-Riley 24 dB is the way to go.

Mårten
    LR 24db is the way to go for the acoustical crossover slopes... But the acoustic slope is not necessarily identical to the electrical slope.

Of course. 24 db LR with time-alignment is difficult enough to achieve with new equipment and doing the measurements. Lets see measurements of the system with this configuration before doing more advanced things.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    Selections are:

....?
    Hi

May be famous "JMLC" words can help:

"...If the 2 drivers are aligned at the same distance of the listener, then the low-frequency loudspeaker has to be moved toward the listener of a distance equal to 0.22 x wavelength at Fr...."

so for Fr=800Hz.
    D= 0.22*345/800 [m] = 0.095m = 9.5cm,
    but VHF driver with horn would introduce some delay too....
    so measurements would be the best solution.

Regards
    ivica

Thanx for the info guys, very much helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi
    so for Fr=800Hz.
    Kind of explains why the compression-driver is recessed approximately that distance. I learned something new today

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi

May be famous "JMLC" words can help:

"...If the 2 drivers are aligned at the same distance of the listener, then the low-frequency loudspeaker has to be moved toward the listener of a distance equal to 0.22 x wavelength at Fr...."

so for Fr=800Hz.
    but VHF driver with horn would introduce some delay too....
    so measurements would be the best solution.

Regards
    ivica
    Hi Ivica,

Are you able to provide a link to the thread where JMLC talks about this rule of thumb ?

I'd like to see if there is a formula ( hiding ) behind that "applied" constant .

Thanks

Thread Information