Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Array 1400 with Mcintosh MC402

Quote Originally Posted by jasonyeo View Post
    Do you think if using different characteristics cables(eg:copper for low ,silver for highs) to biwire a speaker will cause any side effect or must be same ?
    You would have to experiment with various combinations of speaker wires until you get what you think is " THE SOUND "!

And while silver does have the highest conductivity and will give you the best signal transfer in the high frequencies, with using different types of wire for LF and HF it might be hard to get the two ranges to integrate seamlessly and inaudibly. If you can find two sets of speaker wire, each that does best for your intended uses and also get the ranges to blend together without hearing what sounds like having two different systems playing at the same time it can work.

That's the hard part.

So, IF you have speaker wire you already KNOW you really like, it is much easier using the same on both ranges, and seamless integration is much easier to achive.

Now, just to add more to the level of confusion, a few years back when I was researching fancy speaker wire I came across speaker wire made specifically for very high efficiency horn drivers and speakers. I, might look further into this, and find out what benefit this can offer for your HORN HF!
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    You would have to experiment with various combinations of speaker wires until you get what you think is " THE SOUND "!

And while silver does have the highest conductivity and will give you the best signal transfer in the high frequencies, with using different types of wire for LF and HF it might be hard to get the two ranges to integrate seamlessly and inaudibly. If you can find two sets of speaker wire, each that does best for your intended uses and also get the ranges to blend together without hearing what sounds like having two different systems playing at the same time it can work.

That's the hard part.

So, IF you have speaker wire you already KNOW you really like, it is much easier using the same on both ranges, and seamless integration is much easier to achive.

Now, just to add more to the level of confusion, a few years back when I was researching fancy speaker wire I came across speaker wire made specifically for very high efficiency horn drivers and speakers. I, might look further into this, and find out what benefit this can offer for your HORN HF!
    Thanks , appreciate that Currently I am still using Anthem statement amps and van den hul CS122 while waiting for my mcintosh amps .

Am looking at signal cables now . Anyone has experience with signal cables (www.signalcable.com) ?

I am using a Mcintosh MC303 for L/C/R and a MC252 for surround now . Thinking of getting another MC252 and use 2 x MC252 (so called bi-amp) for L/R and MC303 for Center and surround . Is it better ?

Actually if given a choice , would you rather use 2 x MC252(bi-amp to L/R) or 2 X MC501(bi-wire) to L/R speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    Humming from a Mc? That just sounds wrong.

But you are correct. There is no autoformers on the 207, only an impedance switch as far as I can tell?

The best result I have heard with the big JBL's is with Audio Research. I hope to test them with the Marantz MA-9s someday.
    There is a slight buzz from the MC303 transformers and the dealer told me all MC303 has the same buzz due to 3 big power in a chasis. So I believe what I read on MC207 is what I heard now ... Try to avoid but still get it

Thread Information