Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Array 1400 with Mcintosh MC402

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    I did with the S2600. If fact, on the AudioKarma site, the guys from Mac confirmed this was possible. I have yet to with the Arrays since I have not had the time, but they are set up for bi-wiring.
    That means I need 2 sets of speaker cables for this type of wiring .

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    Hope people didnt misunderstand. I LOVE mcintosh amplifiers. I just don't think they have ultimate control over large woofer. The 1.2kw and 2kw is a different story ;D

I would buy a 402 over a 501 any day. The reason is that the cooling on the 501 is underdimensioned. Same with the 252. The 501 is just a balanced single channel 252.

If you can afford it i think 2x252 is the best bet, if you want to stick with Mcintosh.

For woofer control the 252,402, and 501 is easily bested by a "small" Crown XTi amplifier. But as stated. The mids/highs on these amps is close to the very top.

If it was my money, i would use the Greg Timbers workaround and make them active, with a cheap XTi for woofer duty, and a nice tubeamplifier for the horn. Did i hear someone say MC2102?
    I need a amp for center channel as well but only can get at most 2 amps . How does the MC303 perform compare to other combinations for ht duty?

I'm sorry to say that i have no experience with the MC303.

What about finding a used 207?

Should be about the same as a new 402 i guess. Mabye less. Then you could biamp the whole shabang
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

I'm sorry to say that i have no experience with the MC303.

What about finding a used 207?

Should be about the same as a new 402 i guess. Mabye less. Then you could biamp the whole shabang
    I believe 207 does not have the autoformer? I think I have read someone experienced humming due to the lack of autoformer on 207 To play safe so I stay away from the 205 and 207

Quote Originally Posted by jasonyeo View Post
    That means I need 2 sets of speaker cables for this type of wiring .
    That is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    That is correct.
    Do you think if using different characteristics cables(eg:copper for low ,silver for highs) to biwire a speaker will cause any side effect or must be same ?

I believe 207 does not have the autoformer? I think I have read someone experienced humming due to the lack of autoformer on 207 To play safe so I stay away from the 205 and 207
    Humming from a Mc? That just sounds wrong.

But you are correct. There is no autoformers on the 207, only an impedance switch as far as I can tell?

The best result I have heard with the big JBL's is with Audio Research. I hope to test them with the Marantz MA-9s someday.
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Humming from a Mc? That just sounds wrong.

But you are correct. There is no autoformers on the 207, only an impedance switch as far as I can tell?

The best result I have heard with the big JBL's is with Audio Research. I hope to test them with the Marantz MA-9s someday.
    I just read it somewhere about the humming . Anyway , I think I made up my decision . Will be getting the MC303 as I am more a HT guy . If budget permits by end of year , will then get the 202 for surround . Surround back may just use back my current anthem statement amp

Do you think if using different characteristics cables(eg:copper for low ,silver for highs) to biwire a speaker will cause any side effect or must be same ?
    I have no idea. I would keep it all the same.

Whar is the spade size to use n the mcintosh amps? Standard size(1/4"-5/16") or large(3/8")?

The MC207 has DPM (Dynamic Power Management) not an autoformer but which is able to drive a load from 4-8ohms at full rated power and distortion specs. This is an amazing, powerful amp and a relatively cheap (If that exists in higher end audio) way to get a ton of power to a ton of channels. I would know I am currently driving my JBL Performance (PS/PT/PC) theater with it. I would like to know what they are smoking to think it hums. Bad amp or more likely bad power? Humming no....

Now up to amp No 4 on my 1400's. They seem to love power, agreed, but the quality of that power shines through loud and clear. Latest and greatest for me is a Krell KSA150. Just enough Class A "sweetness" for the hron mid, plus enough "balls" for the bass. All in all, a nice match. Now, if only I can find a Gryphon amp to borrow and try .....

For what it's worth, bi-wiring and bi-amping were both steps backwards when I tried them

Cheers

Scott
    Thats not a speaker ......*That's* a Speaker !
    (With apologies to Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee)

Quote Originally Posted by Audionutz View Post

For what it's worth, bi-wiring and bi-amping were both steps backwards when I tried them

Cheers

Scott
    In each of the high end JBLs, considerable thought went into matching the networks and the drivers and the cabinet, so it's unlikely that anything too far from stock is going to be beneficial unless you really know what you're doing.

I don't.

So I take the admonitions seriously:

Quote Originally Posted by JBL K2 S9900 User Guide
    IV. Bi-Amp Connection Method

The bi-amp connection method requires two amplifiers, one for the low-frequency unit and one for the high-frequency unit, and an external electronic crossover network. By removing the shorting straps, connections may be made in the following way. Wires from the high-frequency amplifier are connected to the upper terminals, and wires from the low-frequency amplifiers are connected to the lower terminals. The bi-amp switch must be set to the bi-amp position to disable the internal crossover function. Internal level adjustment and high- frequency equalization circuitry remain active.
    The amplifiers are fed from the output of an electronic crossover unit (not included). This crossover must be configured to produce the electrical drive illustrated in Figure 8. These curves are very unusual and will be difficult for a commercially available crossover unit to properly emulate. It is for this reason that bi-amplification of the K2 S9900 is not recommended.
    Is there similar language in the 1400 Array manual?
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Is there similar language in the 1400 Array manual?
    Somewhere in this forum there is an active filter circuit from GT for biamping as far as I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    Somewhere in this forum there is an active filter circuit from GT for biamping as far as I remember.

Thread Information