Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Homage to Northridge

Beautiful Rich !

Also, I love seeing pics of the shop .

<. cheers

Rich

STELLAR JOB! ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!

They look very fine Rich....bet they will sound just as good.

my only very minor quibble is that it might look even better if the horn bottom and protrusion on the cab ended at the same place...mebbe this was not something that you could control ?

(I feel guilty even mentioning that as I can only barely nail down shingles)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

... wait for the grille

Got a parcel

Quick update ,

got the internals from Guido today .Got one hooked up and will get the other cab tomorrow.

Hello Rich

Not to dampen your enthusiasm or slow you down but you may want to get an o-ring gasket in the back-cap. If you look at the 435Be it has an o ring that helps seal the driver. My thought is you may get some modulation of the diaphragm in the compression driver from the bass driver without it. It's not needed in the Vertec Driver as the HF drivers are in a separate sub-enclosure. I know I had a problem with one of my 4344's because I had an air leak in the 2122 sub-enclosure. The back pressure from the 2235 was modulating the cone. I have attached a picture so you can see what I mean. The O ring fits snugly around the aluminum mounting sleeve of the diaphragm.

It may not be an issue but I figured I would bring it up. Lets see if anyone else chimes in on this one.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Cheers .

No worries Rob,

by all means chime in with any suggestions. I realise I will have a bit of tweaking to and any help is most welcome .
    I'll get Guido to order me some when he gets back from his vacation .

Rich

Hello Rich

I deleted it and then undeleted it after I saw you read it. After I thought about it I realized the 2431 is used in SR boxes with no gasket so it might simply be a non issue. You may get a good enough seal with the other back-cap. In the SR back caps you have flat area in the standard SR 2431/2435 back-cap that sits on the mounting ring. You don't have that flat ring on the 435Be back-cap. Could be that's why they use the O ring in the 435Be. Just a case of not thinking things all the way through before posting.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    I deleted it and then undeleted it after I saw you read it.
    IMHO well done, Rob. This is an open forum (worldwide ) and not everybody, who wants to make the best with his drivers, is aware of your experience. In this forum there are quite a few who regularly read but never post.

Sorry for chiming in.

Lets Solve it !

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Rich

I deleted it and then undeleted it after I saw you read it. After I thought about it I realized the 2431 is used in SR boxes with no gasket so it might simply be a non issue. You may get a good enough seal with the other back-cap. In the SR back caps you have flat area in the standard SR 2431/2435 back-cap that sits on the mounting ring. You don't have that flat ring on the 435Be back-cap. Could be that's why they use the O ring in the 435Be. Just a case of not thinking things all the way through before posting.

Rob
    Hi Rob ,

I gave your comments a lot of thought . I also did a little experiment . I held my hand on the back of the 2435 with the 2234 going ....... and then again ,without the 2234. Quite a bit of high speed vibration ..... Although I cant hear any contamination logic dictates that to reduce that interference can only improve things . A dog box is not out of the question so slong as iI keep it a small as possible. I could create isolation with an air gap between the driver and the inside of a box . The box could follow the contour of the horn , but not touch it .

Am I going in the right direction ?

Rich

Am I going in the right direction ?
    Hello Rich

The reason I originally pulled the post was so I wouldn't potentialy get you looking at something that is not a problem. As long as there is a good seal with the back-cap there should be no issues. I didn't want to send you on a wild goose chase.

Rob

More Goop Doctor !

More Goop Doctor !
    There you go that would work!

Rob

OOPs I missed this one

Well Rich for skip raking they have come out VERY nicely indeed. You clearly have not lost your touch. I take it the goop is finely blended Scotts porridge oats. Those just have to sound good , nice work. M

Complete !

Hi folks,

Id' like to thank all that have taken the time to check out the thread and post the wonderful compliments

Speakers are up and running , but still far from finished . The networks are very good ,but they have been designed so I can have a fiddle with the sound . So I'll be doing that for a few weeks .

The signal path is pretty clean, although far from high end. I have started collecting the parts for a little Pass clone . Nothing too demanding for first amp build .

thanks again , Rich

Thread Information