Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any fix on this 4343?

Wiggle the biamp switch.
    "wiggle" meaning turn it the direction indicated on the rear input terminal panel, until
    it clicks into position, then back, ... repeat several times.

Here are pictures (input terminal panel, crossover, switch, and L-pads) to help guide:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post119858

It's OK for the L-pads to not be exactly the same on both speaker front panels (L vs R),
    but an extreme mismatch -might- indicate other issues. Narrowing it down to a single
    driver (possibly) does help define the problem, so you're headed in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    "wiggle" meaning turn it the direction indicated on the rear input terminal panel, until
    it clicks into position, then back, ... repeat several times.

Here are pictures (input terminal panel, crossover, switch, and L-pads) to help guide:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post119858

It's OK for the L-pads to not be exactly the same on both speaker front panels (L vs R),
    but an extreme mismatch -might- indicate other issues. Narrowing it down to a single
    driver (possibly) does help define the problem, so you're headed in the right direction.
    Thanks a lot, grumpy, for your kind guidance. I tried all the ways our forum members suggested to me, rotating the levels and wiggling the bi-amp switch. I heard some little scratchy sounds when rotating the left speaker's Mid toward +3 initially, and then it disappeared later after several rotations. My initial impressions are the sound from the left speaker got better. Yet, I have yet to test more for more accurate judgement. Instead of Mcintosh preamp, I'm going to try with an Adcom preamp this time, plus Adcom power amp. I suspect the current Mcintosh C29 might have something to do with the weak loudness of the left speaker, too. Or maybe I might be a little overly sensitive...

glad to help (or at least hope it's of some help )

can you put the C29 or adcom in mono mode? (a switch for that on the front panel)

It makes it easier to judge balance in mono with your head midline between the speakers...
    close as you like... point them toward each other even. Turn the other L-pads all the way down
    and concentrate on the drivers in question. FM inter-station noise makes a nice signal.

Note that speaker placement in a room can affect perceived L/R balance, but if this just
    started and position of the speakers hasn't changed, then toss that idea.

glad to help (or at least hope it's of some help )

can you put the C29 or adcom in mono mode? (a switch for that on the front panel)

It makes it easier to judge balance in mono with your head midline between the speakers...
    close as you like... point them toward each other even. Turn the other L-pads all the way down
    and concentrate on the drivers in question. FM inter-station noise makes a nice signal.

Note that speaker placement in a room can affect perceived L/R balance, but if this just
    started and position of the speakers hasn't changed, then toss that idea.
    Thanks a lot, grumpy. Yes, it does have mono mode. I only tried using mode selector switch, namely STEREO or STEREO REVERSE. There're three MONO modes, namely MONO (L+R), L+R to L, L+R to R. You must refer to this modes, right? Let me try them tomorrow and give you some feedback, too.

Yes, "MONO (L+R)" is what I would suggest.

outcome of PINK NOISE test...

Yes, "MONO (L+R)" is what I would suggest.
    Thank you, grumpy. I've found strange result on this after playing audio CD test. I played it to check PINK NOISE (-12db) for speaker balance. With the volume of my preamp at its lowest level, I played the test CD, and I found the ultra-high, high, and mid of the left speaker very weak in PINK NOISE, compared with the right speaker where I could a very strong PINK NOISE. When I raised the volume a little bit, I started to hear a little bit stronger and louder PINK NOISE from the left speaker, but it was still way much lower in loundness, compared with the pink noise from the right speaker.

1) many volume controls don't have good balance at their lowest position(s), so turning it
    up a bit was a good idea.

2) did you ever try that other pre/amp set? or swapping the speaker cables L<->R?
    ... basically, anything that's in-line between the source (CD player) and the speaker
    drivers themselves.

if so, it's probably worth having someone go over the internal wiring and crossover, as it's
    very unlikely that multiple drivers would all lose sensitivity at the same time.

Ah... I see you've "fixed" the speaker problem :

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...243#post293243

Probably a good time to close this particular thread.

Ah... I see you've "fixed" the speaker problem :

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...243#post293243

Probably a good time to close this particular thread.
    Thanks, grumpy. I think I have to settle for it for now, although the problem hasn't been solved complely.
    I started a new thread on this, hoping someone in this forum mighth have similar experiences and share with me the solution...

Thread Information