I recently acquire my first JBL speakers. Because I thought they would be best suited for my needs, I went for a pair of 4312A's
First of all, they have what seems to be very low SN: 0425 and 0472. When removing the grill clothes, first surprise: they are not mirror imaged! As far as I know, my speakers have been sold as a pair back in the days. So this leads to my first question: have the 4312A been officially sold as not mirror imaged pair? Maybe the very first generation? The only information I have mention them as mirror imaged (1986 pro catalog and 4312A brochure). Would there be any reason for a studio or a mixing facility to go for a pair that is not mirror imaged? The speakers were hanging on the ceiling, I still have the bracket on them.

And what about the placement? I know they have been intended for studio, so would it be better to get them near (a) wall(s), or far away from it(them)?
What about speaker stands? When sitting on the floor, they are just way to low. And I really don't like the coupling with the wooden floor ! What type of stands would you recommend for those? The stands I was using for my previous speakers are to tall and the 4312A's are too heavy for them.
The room they are sitting in is pretty small: roughly 3.6x3.8x2.5 meters (11.5'x12.8'x8.2') not rectangular but trapezoidal. For now they are sitting 2.1m (6.9') apart from each other and 2m (6.6') away from the listening position. One (left) is 2' away from the side and the back wall, the other (right) is 2' from the back wall and 1' from the side wall, if this helps.