Thread: Can someone tell me why............

Can someone tell me why............

AR drivers are soooo dog ugly?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by lansingfan View Post
    AR drivers are soooo dog ugly?

It's a Yankee thing; just make it work. Who cares what a fuel pump looks like?

Are those AR-4s? I recently heard some old AR-4s and was surprised at how good they sounded; good clarity and tonal balance and very strong bass for such a small box. I was sorely tempted to get a pair to replace the mighty KRKs in my den. They were much better than last pair of AR-3s I'd heard.

6's

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    It's a Yankee thing; just make it work. Who cares what a fuel pump looks like?

Are those AR-4s? I recently heard some old AR-4s and was surprised at how good they sounded; good clarity and tonal balance and very strong bass for such a small box. I was sorely tempted to get a pair to replace the mighty KRKs in my den. They were much better than last pair of AR-3s I'd heard.
    But, they all look the same anyway. Just seems like someone with a flair for the surreal putting their inner soul on the baffle and collateral drivers ala André Masson.

3's

But, they all look the same anyway. Just seems like someone with a flair for the surreal putting their inner soul on the baffle and collateral drivers ala André Masson.
    I stand corrected. These are much nicer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

ar's

I worked for a couple of retailers in the 70's who carried AR products. I
    had the opportunity to open a some of them up ( the 3a, 2ax, and 10) and was astounded at how cheaply made they were. Someone at JBL
    or Altec would have been fired for building such junk

JBL 4645
    Who the blazes painted that Picasso? Oh, no that is grim.

It looks like someone is playing Norts and Crosses. with this speaker.

Put O in the centre square.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kreamer View Post
    Someone at JBL
    or Altec would have been fired for building such junk

Just what was junky about them? The AR drivers I've seen from that period had no fancy hammertone or stove enamel finishes but I saw nothing junky about them.

Yeah they may not have the finish but the bottom line is what you hear. They may look like hell but with the grill clothes on if you didn't know what was under them I doubt you would care. JBL used that as a selling point against the Advents way back when.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...l/1975-sum.htm

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

But, my question is of looks, not

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Yeah they may not have the finish but the bottom line is what you hear. They may look like hell but with the grill clothes on if you didn't know what was under them I doubt you would care. JBL used that as a selling point against the Advents way back when.

Rob
    sound. It just seems odd that they would produce a product that looks like they put the glue on while riding a horse. And many purists like their grilles off. Just asking.

It just seems odd that they would produce a product that looks like they put the glue on while riding a horse. And many purists like their grilles off.
    I can't remember ever visiting a friend who owned ARs of that vintage that left their grilles off... later when they made the AR11 and AR10 their industrial design, acoustic design, and manufacturing were all much better... and I do remember seeing those with their grilles removed.

Widget

Rob
    last page:
    JBL could cut corners for economy and still get 90% of the performance and life of the loudspeakers we now produce. That's not the way we think. We're not building speakers for people who are satisfied with 90%

Just asking.
    Isn't it obvious?? The cosmetics simply were not important to them at the time.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Perhaps I should elaborate, on my previous statement. I wasn't so much taken aback by the poor finish work, but inside the box the overall poor quality of the workmanship of the cross over, and the use of pots rather than Lpads. Also if I recall the drivers, particularly on the 2ax, were of low quality. Once the grill was on I suppose It didn't matter as the speaker had the New England sound, which was pleasent enough but not
    for me. The 10 was different, as I remember sounded quite good. I think we are all here because we liked the First class attitude exhibited by JBL.

But, you have to admit.....

Isn't it obvious?? The cosmetics simply were not important to them at the time.

Rob

they were in a league of their own. Almost like they were trying to win the most ugly presentation. Wonder if this has ever been discuss among AR owners in the past? Or the company honchos as well? Guess that may be left to the AR Heritage site if there is such a place. I know, nothing to lose sleep over, just seems curious.

drivers meant to be HEARD, not seen.

Thread Information