Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best application for this Speaker ?

Best application for this Speaker ?

Hi All ,

injecting a little fun seems to be needed
    Attached Images Attached Images  

There's something for all the pot tweakers

Thanks Rich!

"A Bose by any other name..." ?

Fantastic Rich!
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Talking WOW the best use of Bo$e speaker I have ever seen!!!

That is just way to funny!!

Good one. Cheap a$$ molded plastic box.

Love it.

Do you think that there could be a bose "heritage" forum that makes fun of us?

Naw, probably not!

Carry on!
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Is it just me....

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose_Corporation

No, Its not just me, and they even went all of the way to the highest court in the land, and lost. You can keep your bose stuff. I am a proud JBL'er!!!

Opinions about Bose
    Discussion of "Bose Quality" can sometimes elicit strong, and polarized opinions. There seem to be two major camps: those who see Bose as a maker of good high-end audio equipment, and others who see Bose as a company that uses marketing to make extravagant claims for otherwise ordinary products.
    In some consumer-level publications outside of this debate, Bose is regarded as a producer of high-end audio systems.[2][3][37][38][39][40] A market study published in March 2006 by the independent market research firm Forrester Research reported that Bose's brand name was among the 3 most trusted brand names (by the US population) of consumer-electronics or computer brand names in the US.[41]
    In 1968, Amar Bose presented a classic paper to the Audio Engineering Society entitled: "On the Design, Measurement and Evaluation of Loudspeakers" available from the AES at a small charge.[42] Following the logic in this paper, Bose Corporation has endeavored to strike an economic balance between cost and performance to provide high quality as judged by the average listener whose criteria of quality include faithful reproduction of the listener's experience in a live performance, which according to Bose requires a dominance of the reverberant sound field in the listening space (a typical home environment). (see audiophile beliefs).
    [edit] Criticisms

Bose's systems were criticized by Stereophile in 1979[43] in a review of the 901 system, stating that in the magazine's opinion, the system was unexceptional and unlikely to appeal to perfectionists with a developed taste in precise imaging, detail, and timbre, and that these shortcomings were an excessive price to pay for the improvement in impact and ambiance generated by the large proportion of reflected sound [to on-axis sound]. However, the author also stated that the system produced a more realistic resemblance of natural ambiance than any other speaker system.
    Audio forums tend to talk about the non-linear frequency response of certain Bose systems. A reviewer in PC Magazine stated that he believes Bose is not a producer of high-end audio systems, because it didn't fulfill his expectations of what a high-end system should be.[44] (Widely-accepted performance characteristics of 'high-end' audio systems typically include a flat frequency response curve throughout the audible spectrum, and precise impulse response.) Audio enthusiasts frequently criticize Bose in online forums, accusing it of overpricing its products and criticizing the sound produced by Bose products. In addition, Bose does not publish specific technical specifications; and as of November 21, 2008 none of Bose's products are THX certified. Bose claims technical specifications are meaningless[citation needed], since what matters most is what the listener hears.
    [edit] Legal action

In 1981 Bose unsuccessfully sued the magazine Consumer Reports for libel. Consumer Reports reported in a review that the sound from the system that they reviewed "tended to wander about the room." Initially, the Federal District Court found that Consumer Reports "had published the false statement with knowledge that it was false or with reckless disregard of its truth or falsity" when it changed what the original reviewer wrote about the speakers in his pre-publication draft, that the sound tended to wander "along the wall." The Court of Appeals then reversed the trial court's ruling on liability, and the United States Supreme Court affirmed in a 6-3 vote in the case Bose Corp. v. Consumers Union of United States, Inc., finding that the statement was made without actual malice, and therefore there was no liability for libel.[45][46][47]
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

That's awsome. For the first time in its existence something of beauty came out of it.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

scottyj

I do not see why everyone likes Bose bashing so much. For what it is it is pretty good stuff. They seem to sell a hell of a lot of product compared to most others. They target a particular market, advertise and sell. And they also make the best aviation headset on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    I do not see why everyone likes Bose bashing so much. For what it is it is pretty good stuff. They seem to sell a hell of a lot of product compared to most others. They target a particular market, advertise and sell. And they also make the best aviation headset on the market.
    Come on lighten up man... this used to be a place to have fun . Giggle and take the piss out of eachother while getting some seriously clever people to help me with my projects... I scan now and then ... just to see whats going on .
    Too much fighting - more importantly there are those that only enter to ridicule and make negative comments.

The world is shit at the moment .Not many of us can afford to get on with projects . The ones that are trying to keep the spirit of the place going are kicked in the teeth, the Truextent Be thread for example.

There are projects going on by once very active and inspiring members , that just don't bother posting any more ; why you asked ? cus some bloody know -it -all will just pull it apart for some sick sport ....

So why bother ?

Rich

PS... my project is slow, but ooooh sounds so nice .... CREDIT CRUNCH 2-way to be revealed in the near (LOL) future

"Pretty good stuff for what it is."

Imagine rolling into a Corvette gathering in a Yugo or a LaCar, do you think you would get out unscathed?

Over the PA "There's a Bose 901 in the JBL only section of the parking lot, don't get up, you've already been towed!"
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

I just did a little research. Bose is a privately held company that employs 9000 people worldwide is still run by it's founder Amar Bose. Dr. Bose was worth $1.8 Billion in 2007 and Sidney Harman was worth $409 million in 2006.

Bose may be in the plastic ware business, but they have done an excellent job of it. Harman International is certainly in the audio business... but even with their ownership of a dozen of the world's best audio brands, their shortsighted management has... well, no need to go there again.

Interesting link:

http://www.forbes.com/global/1999/0809/215039a.html

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Imagine rolling into a Corvette gathering in a Yugo or a LaCar, do you think you would get out unscathed?
    A buddy of mine likes to lap Corvettes and Porsches at track days in his Mk2 Golf GTi. The engine and suspension are worked on, but the engine is still basically the original VW 16 valve.

Widget

I know I'm quoting myself

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    That is just way to funny!!
    I have two of the Bo$e 801s at the radio station(bought by my predecessor).
    I had to replace two of the 5" speakers, when I got inside I amazed at the poor quality of a Pro speaker that sells for over $600.
    I know that Bo$e is capable of making high quality products, but in the speaker arena they just DON'T. They just put BIG$$$ into marketing FUD and the consumer be dammed.
    One of the ways that Bo$e uses to get into places is buy doing a free install of Bo$e speakers and giving the customer 30 days of free use before they have to pay.
    IF the customer doesn't like them Bo$e will take them out, I'm sure that the Bo$e rep puts a lot of pressure on the customer to keep them.

Thread Information