Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL manufacturing in China

JBL manufacturing in China

This is indeed a sad time for JBL fans. It seems that many American companies are now manufacturing items in China. In the 80s my system consisted of JBL L150a speakers powered by Marantz electronics. I had my L150a speakers for over twenty years. I purchased them at a local high end audio store. The JBL name was highly respected then and that was the only place you could buy JBL speakers at the time. I remember the salesman, showing me actual cutaways of the JBL drivers and explaining the construction quality compared to other well known speakers at the time. I loved my L150As. But in 2001, I thought I'd perhaps look into replacing them with speakers that had the latest technology advances. I was hopefully going to replace them with new JBLs. Then I started to see JBL speakers at Best Buy. These were not the JBL speakers that I remember and compared to my L150As, frankly, they were basically junk. In my opinion, that's when the JBL era came to an end. They cheapened their name and the name dissappeared from high end audio stores. And I admit, I do have a problem buying audio gear made in China for my own personal reasons. If given a choice, I try to purchase products that are made in democratic societies. So my gear now consists of a B&K amp and preamp designed and built in Buffalo, NY, and Paradigm Studio 100 speakers designed and built in Ontario, Canada. And yeah, I still get nostalgic about my old JBLs but the company has decided to go in a different direction. To me that's sad and I can't support that.

Quote Originally Posted by scarpi View Post
    This is indeed a sad time for JBL fans. It seems that many American companies are now manufacturing items in China. In the 80s my system consisted of JBL L150a speakers powered by Marantz electronics. I had my L150a speakers for over twenty years. I purchased them at a local high end audio store. The JBL name was highly respected then and that was the only place you could buy JBL speakers at the time. I remember the salesman, showing me actual cutaways of the JBL drivers and explaining the construction quality compared to other well known speakers at the time. I loved my L150As. But in 2001, I thought I'd perhaps look into replacing them with speakers that had the latest technology advances. I was hopefully going to replace them with new JBLs. Then I started to see JBL speakers at Best Buy. These were not the JBL speakers that I remember and compared to my L150As, frankly, they were basically junk. In my opinion, that's when the JBL era came to an end. They cheapened their name and the name dissappeared from high end audio stores. And I admit, I do have a problem buying audio gear made in China for my own personal reasons. If given a choice, I try to purchase products that are made in democratic societies. So my gear now consists of a B&K amp and preamp designed and built in Buffalo, NY, and Paradigm Studio 100 speakers designed and built in Ontario, Canada. And yeah, I still get nostalgic about my old JBLs but the company has decided to go in a different direction. To me that's sad and I can't support that.
    Unfortunately, JBL is just moving with the market here and I can agree that I don't like where it is moving, but JBL can not afford to swim upstream and they shouldn't.

There are many smaller specialty companies that are out there that produce state of the art drivers. Acoustic Elegance Speakers is but one and there are many others, too.

Every dynasty passes the torch onto the next. I think JBL is just trying to find away to stay alive in a changing market. Can't really blame them.

Quote Originally Posted by scarpi View Post

It's not too late to buy "real" U. S. A. built JBL reflecting the latest in technologies.................
    IF you are willing to put your money where your mouth is. Get it while it's hot!

Seems a lot of people have recently joined this forum to talk about what a sorry state of affairs JBL is in; not the point of this place as I thought I understood it.

As far as the fact of moving sizable, if not all production out of the country; old news, you're preaching to the choir.

(and they've been heading in that "different direction" for a long time, ergo: "Lansing Heritage")

I'll wait for my dressing down from the Administrators now

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Loren42 View Post
    Unfortunately, JBL is just moving with the market here and I can agree that I don't like where it is moving, but JBL can not afford to swim upstream and they shouldn't.

There are many smaller specialty companies that are out there that produce state of the art drivers. Acoustic Elegance Speakers is but one and there are many others, too.

Every dynasty passes the torch onto the next. I think JBL is just trying to find away to stay alive in a changing market. Can't really blame them.
    Thank you for the link! These woofers look very enticing, and I am looking at their new 18 for possible use in my j horns, the specs are right. And, it is an underhung coil, and has 1000w power handling capability. NICE!

All things considered, if these woofers perform as well as their manufacturer claims, they are very reasonably priced.

And, YES, IF they are all that, combined with the fact they are made in Green Bay Wi, I will send my greenbacks to them! If I can get what I need from an American company, I'm in.

scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Thank you for the link! These woofers look very enticing, and I am looking at their new 18 for possible use in my j horns, the specs are right. And, it is an underhung coil, and has 1000w power handling capability. NICE!

All things considered, if these woofers perform as well as their manufacturer claims, they are very reasonably priced.

And, YES, IF they are all that, combined with the fact they are made in Green Bay Wi, I will send my greenbacks to them! If I can get what I need from an American company, I'm in.

What is really nice about these drivers is, for example, the inductance. The inductance of the 2235H is four times the amount of the TD15H! The TD15H also has very, very low distortion and a very linear excursion thanks to the copper sleeve on the pole to tame eddy currents. There is an option for additional aluminum to further reduce eddy currents and heat at even higher SPL levels.

The TD15H would be a drop in replacement for the 2235H, except that the TD15H extends out to 2 kHz and beyond and is claimed to still have a wide dispersion!

The problem with that is that you need a pretty steep filter to cut off the upper end. However, 2 kHz, if it really is usable, gets you into a 2-way design with the right tweeter or even a horn.

It's a tempting driver to play around with.

If you like really, really deep bass, the IB15 15" infinite baffle woofer is another interesting character to explore and is cheap at $150 each. In quantity of four they go for $125 each.

Obsolete
    Maybe someone should find out where these things are being manufactured.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Maybe someone should find out where these things are being manufactured.
    It would appear from the photo below that they are at least assembled here in the USA.

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    It would appear from the photo below that they are at least assembled here in the USA.
    Well, those quoted prices seem awfully cheap for SOTA drivers made in the USA. :dont-know

I think those are the drivers that used to be called Lambdas. They have a following among some people who previously used JBL and Altec.

Obsolete
    Oh, I think Ian mentioned Lambda drivers a time or two.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Well, those quoted prices seem awfully cheap for SOTA drivers made in the USA. :dont-know
    Email John at Acoustic Elegance LLC Sales [email protected] and find out.

John is pretty good at getting back to you fast.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post

That is a nice little assembly line.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren42 View Post
    The TD15H would be a drop in replacement for the 2235H, except that the TD15H extends out to 2 kHz and beyond and is claimed to still have a wide dispersion!
    You had me going until this line... the dispersion is a function of cone diameter and to a lesser degree it's shape. How could it possibly have wide dispersion if it is a 15" woofer?

Widget

Ian indeed purchased two woofers from AE a while ago. I expect he measured them at some point.

I can't get over how much the speakers awaiting final assembly look like lamps. Now I know what to do with the cores I can't afford to recone.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

"I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thread Information