Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Altec "4343"

I have had mixed information on this and the other Altec monitors that were developed at the same time for the Japanese market (9861, 6041, 604 Valencia). Todd White told me that they were designed and produced by Altec in Aneheim from around 1979 until the sale of the home division to Sparkomatic in 1982. However, the former product manager for Altec's home speakers from 1974 to 1981 told me that Altec had nothing to do with the systems other than supplying the drivers and that they were developed by their Japanese distributor Electori. This seems to be supported by pictures of the 6041 that were sent to me by a Japanese owner that I have attached below. It doesn't say "Made in the USA" anywhere, and the serial number and sticker are Electori's. I'm curious if there is a similar Electori sticker on your 9862.

Supposedly, the 950-8A was developed just for the 9862 and was never used in another system or sold separately. There was a later 950-8A in Altec's catalog that was a completely different driver - basically a 902-8A with the small Mantaray horn from the 604-8K.

BTW, if the Ebay auction where you aquired your 9862's is the same one I saw, I remember that the seller noted that one the 416-8BD's had a rubbing coil. He contacted me to find out if recones were still available. I had no idea what the difference was between the 416-8B and the "BD" version, so I couldn't provide any definitive advice. If yours is that system, I'm curious what you did about the woofer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Originally posted by Don McRitchie
    ...the seller noted that one the 416-8BD's had a rubbing coil. He contacted me to find out if recones were still available.
    Some great posts lately, Don-o. Great to have your time such that you can post more regulary!

If there's no kits , a not-too-bad last resort would be to try a resurround. Maybe - just maybe - by a careful resurround one could center the voice coil in the gap, and alleviate the rubbing. If there's a problem with the spider, you've no hope with this suggestion. But otherwise maybe Rick Cobb could source the compliance...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Umm

Can someone, maybe the person who has these speakers please tell us what they sound like? Especially that JBlish type perforated lens horn!
    Last edited by scott fitlin; 07-27-2004 at 07:51 PM.

I am the actual owner of the Altec 9862's and will try to answer all the questions that I can.
    First, there is no reference anywhere on the cabinet, in the cabinet, or on any hardware of Electori. On the baffle mounted face plate for the attenuator controls it identifies this as Made In the USA, I will try to post a picture.
    Second, Don mentioned the original seller contacting him about a rubbing voice coil. He told me the same and said he had found an exact replacement woofer that he would include for a nominal fee. I accepted the offer. When the speakers arrived via Yellow Freight I couldn't wait to get home and unpack. The identical woofer was a 416-8C not a 416-8BD. However I don't knock him for that but it didn't sound quite the same when mounted. You could pick out which channel had the 416-8C. I then went onto the forum at Great Plains Audio and asked for help. Don McRichie answered my call quite clearly. He told me of the differences as he understood them and felt the 416-8BD was voiced somehow differently than the 416-8B. He suggested Bill at Great Plains to inspect and advice. I then contacted Bill and he said "no problem" send it down and he would inspect and let me know what he could and couldn't do. I then put in all in writing and sent the document and the woofer to Great Plains Audio. I anxiously waited to hear if the voicing was different because I had decided to then send the second woofer to them and have both converted to 416-8B's if he could not repair as new. I then received a phone call for a credit card number to pay for the repairs to the 416-8BD in the amount of $30 or so. The person on the other end was surprised at my questions about the voicing. I didn't ask if it was Bill I was talking too but was certain it was. He acted confused and bewildered about the whole thing and said he would look into it, that was the last I heard from Great Plains Audio. The woofer actually had a internal connection that was loose, it's now repaired works perfectly and is still original.

Third, how do they sound? I have compared them to the L300's and the 4343's in my home. They outperformed the L300's hands down. more kick and punch. I love the high's from this tweeter the 950-8A which is quite large if you note the picture above comparing it with the 802 driver. When comparing the sound to the 4343 it is clear that the 4343 is top dog! This Altec copy is good but doesn't sit on top of the porch with the 4343. Maybe first step but the 4343 just outperforms this copy.

I could use some help from the forum. These speaker cabinets have lived a rough life. Water damage, to the veneer, is fairly bad on one of the boxes and both have multiple chips in the veneer. I have been unsuccessful at getting a price to have the boxes reveneered. Anyone have an idea what this is going to cost me?

About the Altec 416-8BD

This came to light ( via eBay ) some years back .

It's time to get this info into here for posterity.

This is most of the ( revealing ) text from the original eBay offering ( reformatted and emphasized by me ) .

Quote Originally Posted by 215xxxxxx
    The 9862 studio monitor speaker system was produced in the early eighties for sale exclusively to the Japanese market.

It was a four way system using the 950-8A ring radiator tweeter, a 902 type driver on a special horn for the upper midrange, a 414 twelve inch driver for the lower midrange, and a subwoofer using a specially designed 416.

The number of units built was very limited.

The 416 woofer used all standard parts except for the cone, which was about 25 grams heavier than the stock cone.

This allowed the driver to have the same low frequency performance as a standard 416, but in a much smaller enclosure with a sacrifice of about 3 dB in efficiency.

A standard 416-8B/C in a nine cubic foot vented enclosure tuned around 40 Hertz has an F3 of about 40 Hertz with minimal ripple.
    A 416 built with the "heavy" 35239 cone has the same 40 Hertz F3 in a five cubic foot vented enclosure tuned to 30 Hertz.

For those wanting to retain the excellent mid and upper range behavior of the standard 416, but with 40 Hertz performance in a much smaller enclosure, a 416 built with the 35239 cone is the answer. These cones are original factory parts and are over thirty years old.

I was the Senior Design Engineer of Acoustics for Altec Lansing in the 1980's at the Oklahoma City facility and these cones are from my personal collection. This auction is for one pair of cones.
    Name:  Altec_416-8BD_iii.JPG
Views: 1870
Size:  181.2 KBName:  Altec_416-8BD_ii.JPG
Views: 1910
Size:  186.3 KBName:  Altec_416-8BD_i.JPG
Views: 1733
Size:  195.3 KB

PS: I'm sorry KenP that no one ever answered your request for help ( also, I have no clue about such costs ) .

Name:  altec_9862_82_1-50--1d383e3.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  309.0 KB
    Name:  altec_9862_82_2-50--1d383ee.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  219.2 KB
    Name:  altec_9862_82_3-50--1d383f9.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  238.4 KB

The 4-way speaker system was made using the technology cultivated in the Western system and the duplex system.

It is equipped with 38cm cone type woofer 416-8BSW or 416-8CSW in the low range.
    The unit mounted in this part is described in the 1981 and 82 year catalog of 416-8BSW and 416-8CSW are mixed, and I do not know exactly.

In the middle and low range from 350Hz, it is equipped with 30cm cone type midbus 414-8E.

In the mid-high range of 1.5kHz and above, it is equipped with an 802-8G driver and ALTEC's first straight horn as a horn-type tweeter.
    The horn part is equipped with a newly developed acoustic lens, and the directional characteristics realize an ideal fan-shaped pattern.

The newly developed ring-type tweeter 950 is installed for ultra-high range use.
    This unit is an improvement on the shortcomings of traditional ring tweeters with the use of an angerin phase plug, providing excellent performance with high efficiency, wide bandwidth, and low distortion.It has the characteristics of directional orientation.

The enclosure adopts the baslef method.

This is translated via

the Russian browser, Yandex.

From the 'Other' Audio Heritage

https://audio-heritage.jp/ALTEC/spea...62monitor.html

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Where's that little rolling head guy. I need him right now.

Here he is, lol

Thread Information