Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which pre, poweramp to best match 4343?

Smile which pre, poweramp to best match 4343?

Hi, there,

I see lots of threads on pre, power amps in this forum.
    What pre, power amps would you recommend for 4343?
    I assume the popular match would be mcintosh c22-mc275, c34v-7270, etc, but I just keep wondering why there are not many who recommend jbl pre, power amps for jbl speakers, such as se400s, sa600, sg520, etc. to match with jbl speakers like 4343. Any idea on this? Thanks.

Two Cents

I will put in my two cents...

B&K 50 Serise 2 preamp
    Crown VFX2 crossover
    Two Crown K1's

Just my two cents...

Previous preamps over the years..

Sony TAE9000ESD
    Sony TAE1000ESD
    B&K 20 Serise 2
    Crown IC150A

I have had the speakers for a long time....

Well why not it's just one more pair...
    4340's and 250ti's what an odd pair...

Mcinto 33 or 34 with a 2255....ah that would sound great.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer View Post
    Mcinto 33 or 34 with a 2255....ah that would sound great.
    Thanks for your comment.
    How about a JBL match,
    for example, SG520 with SE400S, SE460, or SA600?

Quote Originally Posted by jbl_daddy View Post
    I will put in my two cents...

B&K 50 Serise 2 preamp
    Crown VFX2 crossover
    Two Crown K1's

Just my two cents...

Previous preamps over the years..

Sony TAE9000ESD
    Sony TAE1000ESD
    B&K 20 Serise 2
    Crown IC150A

I have had the speakers for a long time....

Thanks for your comment.
    Looks like they're an interesting match.

Quote Originally Posted by pyonc View Post
    I see lots of threads on pre, power amps in this forum.
    What pre, power amps would you recommend for 4343?.
    I guess, I'd suggest you use the amp and preamp that best suits your needs and pocketbook.

I would not use an older Mac tube amp because they tend to get very fat and loose sounding with big JBL woofers, but then some people like that sound. I would suggest a 100-300wpc solid state amp with the pre of your choice. If you want tube warmth and spaciousness, there are a few hybrid amps that use a tube driver with solid state output devices... these can sound very nice. Alternatively using a tube pre with a solid state amp is frequently a good choice.

Beyond that the recommendations made on other threads still apply. The 4343 is not a peculiar speaker with unique needs. Any excellent set of electronics will certainly make a difference over a receiver or modern digital dsp powered items.

Widget

I would definitely agree with Mr. Widget but I have had great success with Bryston.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaltronics View Post
    I would definitely agree with Mr. Widget but I have had great success with Bryston.
    I love Bryston. They build solid no BS electronics that sound good too... and with their no hassle 20 year warranty, it is a no brainer.

Of course there are other brands of electronics I really like too. I also love Pass Labs, and Audio Research along with several others.

Widget

If you want tube warmth and spaciousness, there are a few hybrid amps that use a tube driver with solid state output devices... these can sound very nice.

I find my Musical Fidelity KW500 to fit this bill nicely.
    As far as JBL electronics I would have to say the synthesis stuff sounds good but the older stuff is on par with other manufacturers of decent quality.
    JMO
    Always fun learning more.......

I agree Mr. Widget I like audio research also. Being a retailer and selling JBL products for over 30 years I feel very fortunate. But one amplifier I also try on the 1400 Arrays and the k2 products is the Krell evolution series.

What a dynamic combination. But Bryston is no slouch.

Quad 909

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I guess, I'd suggest you use the amp and preamp that best suits your needs and pocketbook.

I would not use an older Mac tube amp because they tend to get very fat and loose sounding with big JBL woofers, but then some people like that sound. I would suggest a 100-300wpc solid state amp with the pre of your choice. If you want tube warmth and spaciousness, there are a few hybrid amps that use a tube driver with solid state output devices... these can sound very nice. Alternatively using a tube pre with a solid state amp is frequently a good choice.

Beyond that the recommendations made on other threads still apply. The 4343 is not a peculiar speaker with unique needs. Any excellent set of electronics will certainly make a difference over a receiver or modern digital dsp powered items.

Widget
    Great! Thanks for your counsel as always.
    By the way, have you tried a match of JBL preamp like SG520 and power amp like JBL SE400S?
    I just wonder why no one here in this forum recommends a JBL match for the vintage JBL speakers like 4343.
    Last edited by pyonc; 03-15-2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: more details

Great! Thanks for your counsel as always.
    By the way, have you tried a match of JBL preamp like SG520 and power amp like JBL SE400S?
    I just wonder why no one here in this forum recommends a JBL match for the vintage JBL speakers like 4343.
    Of course, i used to use a pair of JBL/UREI power amps to run my biamped 4341s ...
    6230 ran the high freq side (original passive feeding midbass, HF horn and UHF 2405)
    6260 ran the 2235 woofers only.

I thought it sounded fine, that combo had been recommended to me by Tom Loizeaux a few years back -
    but I recently upgraded to a pair of Adcom GFA555

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Yeah, I'm adding my normal one-track biased recommendation...again!

I'm currently running my 4345s bi-amped using an Ashly XR1001 crossover with a Crown DC300A-II on the bottom and a Crown D150A-II on the top. Sounds great to me. You could replicate this for about $500 pretty easily. I did it for much less. I hope to soon substitute my Crown PS-400 and PS-200 for the older Crowns to gain the turn-on delay feature of the later amps. My PS-200 is a Crown-certified pre-owned unit and the PS-400 came out of a recording studio in Maryland where I checked it out and picked it up myself after winning the auction on Ebay. The 400 cost me $100, the certified 200 was about $150, or less than the service bill of the original owner, which he included with the original packaging. The Ashly was about $100 used in great shape. Hi-Fi doesn't have to break the bank. If you buy vintage Crowns (the good ones) you can try them essentially for free and maybe even unload them at a profit if you don't really like them.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I'd guess no one has mentioned them because these vintage pieces are quite rare and most of us have never heard them. The SA600 integrated amp is more common and more popular. To be honest, I didn't even know what these two pieces were until I did a quick search... I found a fairly clean pair on eBay, I guess this is why you asked.

From a collector point of view, I think it would be neat to have these, but for audio performance, solid state circuit design advanced quite a bit right after these came out. I would look elsewhere.

I'm posting the pics from the eBay auctions though because they are pretty cool.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Thread Information