Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Transistor vs. Tubes

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    What is IT I want? You CAME HERE! Looking for some people to explain audio to!

Well, you made a few errors, then proceeded to try to school us even further, despite your own mistakes!

You wanted to engage us, we ENGAGED!
    Again you are doing an analysis , you don't know what I came here for.
    Why don't you ask ?

We all make mistakes , you included ! But we still can agree to disagree.
    That it appears you have a problem with.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    Why don't you ask ?
    So - why did you come here, Mr Wolf? What is it you seek?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Why don't you ask ?

We all make mistakes , you included ! But we still can agree to disagree.
    That it appears you have a problem with.
    I don't have a problem with the mistakes, yes, we all make mistakes.

but, continuing on, without even acknowledging your mistakes as mistakes, and then still telling us your right, THIS is the problem.
    scottyj

That's much better. be careful of the words right and wrong , just remember those words are subjective.
    Yes, they are subjective. But I strongly feel that any sort of bias based on non-controllable factors like age, or opinions (i.e. musical taste) to be a very negative thing that causes far more trouble than it solves. Many wars have started over differences of opinion, and complaints about the faults of "the younger generation" have been going on since the days of the ancient Greeks and before.

Music is learned , as is any art. Parents , environment and teachers play a major part in what music we listen to.
    To a degree, but people also are capable of expanding beyond those limitations. I grew up listening to what is now called "classic rock" and some old country/western. Since then I've come to embrace classical, jazz, blues, pop and even some rap. In the process I've even introduced my parents to music they hadn't considered before.

Ipods have their place , the problems is that a generation is growing up that has never listen to the audio that is discussed here.
    I have to disagree somewhat with the second half of that statement. There have always been low-end sound systems, look at all of the cheaply-made "all in one" systems sold in the 60s through the 80s. How many of those cheap, horrible-sounding ceramic cartridge "record grinder" turntables were sold? High fidelity has always been a niche market, but for a while it occupied the place in the market now held by A/V setups - the desire to stay ahead of the guy next door. During that time, when having a fancy stereo was a form of bragging right, there was more hi-fi gear sold, but I'd wager that true appreciation of quality sound has remained fairly constant.

Also, much of the modern revival of hi-fi gear and the "vinyl revival" is being fueled by the 20/30-something set. Even when I was in college (which in general terms wasn't that long ago, 10-15 years), most of the used vinyl stores I frequented were populated with people under the age of 35.

You are lucky in this day and age to have a balanced audio system.
    I've been lucky to come up with some great deals, and I've always had a bit of the Luddite's fascination with the past. That, and a love of tinkering, led me back into the vintage audio world.

Maron Horonzakz
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    GO away, troll ....
    Do you see how she addresses her elders..??? Troll or baba yaga is the only name she can come up with...I know Wolfshead background is vast and experienced,,and a defender of the common worker...I will not quibble with Harvey he was there.. and Wolfs memory only goes back as far as Augspurger...Heritage history is a collection from all viewponts,,,When I finally meet Wolf again,,,I will bring this fine gentleman up to date.... But please lets stop this name calling....

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    Heritage history is a collection from all viewponts,,,
    Agree
    scottyj

Do you see how she addresses her elders..??? Troll or baba yaga is the only name she can come up with...I know Wolfshead background is vast and experienced,,and a defender of the common worker...I will not quibble with Harvey he was there.. and Wolfs memory only goes back as far as Augspurger...Heritage history is a collection from all viewponts,,,When I finally meet Wolf again,,,I will bring this fine gentleman up to date.... But please lets stop this name calling....
    Respect is granted when due, age alone is not the only reason.

All I know is what he claimed - there is no indication he is what he says, an aging gentleman.

His behaviour towards Harvey Gerst leads me to treat him as less than a gentleman.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    GO away, troll ....
    Agreed. The troll as been feed, enough and its now become tiring.

So - why did you come here, Mr Wolf? What is it you seek?
    I think he’s seeking out this old girl?

Attached Images Attached Images  

Maron Horonzakz
    Respect is granted when due, age alone is not the only reason.

All I know is what he claimed - there is no indication he is what he says, an aging gentleman.

His behaviour towards Harvey Gerst leads me to treat him as less than a gentleman.
    Harvey can defend himself,,, You can put away your cape. and broom.

JBL 4645
    Harvey can defend himself,,, You can put away your cape. and broom.
    Didn't you know Cat’s have instinct. I know a few here are just playing with the new troll…but really its gone on long enough.

WOW a lot of posts since Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Just to dispell a few myths, tubes have always been more powerful than solid state ranging from powers in the milliwatt range all the way up to 1 Mega watt plus. Tube amps can also deliver plenty of bottom end. Just for an example, 4 x 211 tubes are capable of pumping out 1000 watts without too much of a problem.

Allan.
    Yes, tubes can put out a lot of power I have two 30KW tube FM transmitters.
    They are BIG, consume a lot of power just to get them going, require massive cooling. I have to monitor them and make adjustments from time to time and replace the tube every year for a cost of $2200 for a rebuilt tube.

SS transmitters just run, run cooler require all most no maintenance, have a smaller footprint.

If you love your tube amps that is OK by me, I love my tube guitar amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Cogley View Post
    Yes, they are subjective. But I strongly feel that any sort of bias based on non-controllable factors like age, or opinions (i.e. musical taste) to be a very negative thing that causes far more trouble than it solves. Many wars have started over differences of opinion, and complaints about the faults of "the younger generation" have been going on since the days of the ancient Greeks and before.

To a degree, but people also are capable of expanding beyond those limitations. I grew up listening to what is now called "classic rock" and some old country/western. Since then I've come to embrace classical, jazz, blues, pop and even some rap. In the process I've even introduced my parents to music they hadn't considered before.

I have to disagree somewhat with the second half of that statement. There have always been low-end sound systems, look at all of the cheaply-made "all in one" systems sold in the 60s through the 80s. How many of those cheap, horrible-sounding ceramic cartridge "record grinder" turntables were sold? High fidelity has always been a niche market, but for a while it occupied the place in the market now held by A/V setups - the desire to stay ahead of the guy next door. During that time, when having a fancy stereo was a form of bragging right, there was more hi-fi gear sold, but I'd wager that true appreciation of quality sound has remained fairly constant.

Also, much of the modern revival of hi-fi gear and the "vinyl revival" is being fueled by the 20/30-something set. Even when I was in college (which in general terms wasn't that long ago, 10-15 years), most of the used vinyl stores I frequented were populated with people under the age of 35.

I've been lucky to come up with some great deals, and I've always had a bit of the Luddite's fascination with the past. That, and a love of tinkering, led me back into the vintage audio world.
    Great Post!

I don't have a problem with the mistakes, yes, we all make mistakes.

but, continuing on, without even acknowledging your mistakes as mistakes, and then still telling us your right, THIS is the problem.
    Again you are not reading ! I never posted that anyting was right or wrong ! Only you did that .
    I gave my opinion you can either except them or reject them or you can counter them..
    The problem it appears is your inability to read . I have never posted that you were right or wrong ! I have never posted that anyone on this sight was right or wrong. I gave my opinions.
    It appears you are having difficulty in excepting the fact that someone
    has an opinion that may differ with yours.

What is IT I want? You CAME HERE! Looking for some people to explain audio to!

Well, you made a few errors, then proceeded to try to school us even further, despite your own mistakes!

You wanted to engage us, we ENGAGED!
    I gave my opinions on audio period ! Schooling you is an analysis. My mistakes prove it ! I posted what I read.

This is not North Korea or Cuba we still have the right granted by the first Amendmen to agree to disagree. You appear judging by your post unable to except that provision in the Constitution.

FREEDOM OF SPEECH ! THE RIGHT TO AGREEE TO DISAGREE ! THE RIGHT OF THE OPPOSING VIEWS !

This is not North Korea or Cuba we still have the right granted by the first Amendmen to agree to disagree. You appear judging by your post unable to except that provision in the Constitution.
    You will find that when you push the first amendment you will very quickly end up behind bars. The constitution is a piece of paper that was written on by a bunch of guys at a kegger. It has very little relavence in the world today and the words contained within are quite empty.

Allan.

Thread Information