Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Transistor vs. Tubes

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    You've got to be kidding...

Phug No! Next topic will be do cables really make a difference....or is Analog better than digital. It's all good!

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    I'll bet few people anymore have seen a 10,000 watt watercooled ceramic powergrid vacuum tube. Pretty bad ass! Are radiostations still tube powered? Don't laugh, I really don't know.
    I have quite a large vacuum tube collection as well as some large ceramics. I had a really large 25,000v hydrogen thyratron from a radar installation that was a couple of feet high, got broken during a move.

I have the Eimac 4- series from 4-65, 4-125, 4-250, 4-400, 4-1000 Always thought a nice 4-1000 audio amp would rock.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    I have quite a large vacuum tube collection as well as some large ceramics. I had a really large 25,000v hydrogen thyratron from a radar installation that was a couple of feet high, got broken during a move.

I have the Eimac 4- series from 4-65, 4-125, 4-250, 4-400, 4-1000 Always thought a nice 4-1000 audio amp would rock.
    I still have a pair of Klystron magnets somewhere from an old microwave transmitter tube ...
    slap one of those on the side of your fridge and you can drag the fridge around the room with it, whoa!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Are radiostations still tube powered? Don't laugh, I really don't know.
    Pretty much. All high power transmitters are still tube. You dont have to worry too much about over heating either.

Here is a link to a rather substantial tube.

http://www.cpii.com/docs/datasheets/...0KG-X-2274.pdf

Pretty much. All high power transmitters are still tube.
    I thought so but that is not my field.

I have an old Eimac book called Care and Feeding of Power Grid Tubes that I learned most of what little I know about tubes. I read it on a crosscountry flight years ago and at the end of the flight a lady asked me in all seriousness "Do you really have to feed them?" Too funny.

I think tubes are magic. Thank you Edwin Howard Armstrong!
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    You got it right on Audio Shops. Once, we had dedicated shops selling 2 channel stereo. Today, new shops selling Home Theater audio systems. Same thing, only different.

The older shops that went out, only did so because they either couldn't or wouldn't change. And, except for the very high end of audio, and pro, 2 channel stero is over, same as mono was over in the 60,s with the advent of STEREO! And regardless of what we now may show and tell the general public, which is the largest make up of the consumer market, they won't buy what they don't want. And HT with DVD, + audio playback is what they want.

Heck, 10 years ago, and definitely 15 years ago, CD sounded like shit. But, except for the high end consumer, and the DJ market, vinyl was over. And I languished for quite some time before the CD had reached a level that was at least acceptable to listen to. BUT, eventually, CD did get better, and even good. Todays digital medias, are really taking off. Does it sound exactly the same as when? No, not necessarily, and in some ways, even better than what was.

See, Wolf, your right on now, the better gear has become exhorbitantly expensive, even prohibitively so. But, it is available, even if not by the name JBL.

But, I agree very much, the lower end, and MIDDLE CLASS of products are far superior to what middle end goods were 30 years ago. One can get by nicely. 30 years ago, middle ground was barely getting by, and the lower rung was utter garbage.
    The focus today in home theatre shops is video , not audio ! a major difference.
    The declined in the interest in audio had more to do with marketing.
    The decision was to market video,a much better growth possibility.
    Than there was the change in musical taste as discussed before , one does not need accurate audio gear to listen to today's popular music.

As for as lower end audio , again the difference is in popular music , there is more of a demand in quality when listening to a Sinatra or Gleason recording using an orchestra and needing a large studio than today.

Marketing , not what people want , what people , the change in musical taste began with Elvis , a move away from American traditional music to
    low cost production , after all Elvis did not need an orchestra !
    Anyone could shake their hips . the lyrics and melody became secondary to the beat. The focus was on the artist not the music . " Hound Dog " What melody?, what lyrics ? is there any melody in rap ?
    There are young people today who have not heard an orchestra.
    Never listened to audio gear , only Ipods , and computer generated music.

Music and audio has changed !

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    Marketing , not what people want , what people , the change in musical taste began with Elvis , a move away from American traditional music to
    low cost production , after all Elvis did not need an orchestra !
    Anyone could shake their hips . the lyrics and melody became secondary to the beat. The focus was on the artist not the music . " Hound Dog " What melody?, what lyrics ? is there any melody in rap ?
    There are young people today who have not heard an orchestra.
    Never listened to audio gear , only Ipods , and computer generated music.

Music and audio has changed !
    Did you read all of that somewhere?
    Your prejudices and mistaken beliefs come out everytime you open a thread.
    There is a wealth of music out there, stuff you don't take the time to investigate, but that doesn't make it valueless.
    Walking around angry with blinders on doesn't change the world to your vision, it just means you stumble a lot more.

You're still stuck on Elvis, old man? Elvis died YEARS AGO.
    Don't blame Buddy Holly either ... must be Little Richard's fault!
    Sinatra? Music didn't end with those dead white men ...
    People that were similarly angered at the whole beginning of the bobby soxers era -
    useless fluff music with no depth - and that's where Francis Sinatra actually got his start.
    Yep, its all downhill since Stephen Foster, eh?

have you heard Michael Buble? Melody Gardot? Jamie Cullum?
    The Lounge singers didn't go away forever, there is a whole resurgence
    in that kind of performer, and some of them are quite good.
    Have you heard Chris Botti? What he does with a trumpet!
    have you really spent any time listening to since, say, 1965?

Uninformed and arrogant is no way to go through life, sir ... you need to get out more.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Did you read all of that somewhere?
    Your prejudices and mistaken beliefs come out everytime you open a thread.
    There is a wealth of music out there, stuff you don't take the time to investigate, but that doesn't make it valueless.
    Walking around angry with blinders on doesn't change the world to your vision, it just means you stumble a lot more.

You're still stuck on Elvis, old man? Elvis died YEARS AGO.
    Don't blame Buddy Holly either ... must be Little Richard's fault!
    Sinatra? Music didn't end with those dead white men ...
    People that were similarly angered at the whole beginning of the bobby soxers era -
    useless fluff music with no depth - and that's where Francis Sinatra actually got his start.
    Yep, its all downhill since Stephen Foster, eh?

have you heard Michael Buble? Melody Gardot? Jamie Cullum?
    The Lounge singers didn't go away forever, there is a whole resurgence
    in that kind of performer, and some of them are quite good.
    Have you heard Chris Botti? What he does with a trumpet!
    have you really spent any time listening to since, say, 1965?

Uninformed and arrogant is no way to go through life, sir ... you need to get out more.
    Are the entertainers you listed backed by an orchestra ? if so what orchestra and who did the arrangments for the orchestra ?
    Gershwin , Porter , Kern , Berlin and Rogers I guess has no depth.
    No point in discussing the classical masters , no depth.
    Our schools have failed us.

White men ? I wonder was Johnny Mathis and Nat King Cole white ? ,
    not to mention Duke Ellington and Earrol Garner ?

Are the entertainers you listed backed by an orchestra ? if so what orchestra and who did the arrangments for the orchestra ?
    Gershwin , Porter , Kern , Berlin and Rogers I guess has no depth.
    No point in discussing the classical masters , no depth.
    Our schools have failed us.

White men ? I wonder was Johnny Mathis and Nat King Cole white ? ,
    not to mention Duke Ellington and Earrol Garner ?
    You ever heard of Yanni? Amazing man who uses electronics to create symphonic works!

Yanni CD,s are available!
    scottyj

You ever heard of Yanni? Amazing man who uses electronics to create symphonic works!

Yanni CD,s are available!
    Tell me why would anyone wish to recreate a symphony using electronics ?
    Why not try and listen to a symphony as close to the original as possibe.
    That means analog. Symphonies don't perform in digital ! Digital is another
    stage.

You are only supporting my thesis , many younger people have never visited a symphony , heard an orchestra and if technology continues
    will never read a book or newspaper. The only music they are aware of is digital , either on a computer or Ipod.

The reason for the existance of audio was to recreate music as close
    to the original as posible not add another stage !

Why would you decide that because we listen to one thing today we would not listen to another tomorrow?

We are not supporting your theory because you continue to be unable to read the words we put on the page - for you its either-or, we continue to embrace MANY possibilities.

Why not listen to a symphony one day and a synthesizer another day?
    Why not toscanini today and moondog tomorrow?
    Why not Yanni today and Rosemary Clooney tomorrow, or Patsy Cline the next. Why would you EVER set limits yourself when there is so much grand music available?

If you are unable to appreciate that range of music, thats another thing, but you saying it has no value is a personal belief and is not a truth in any sense. It just shows your narrow perspective. It is your right to have a narrow perspective, just as it is our right to tell you it is narrow.

stage.

You are only supporting my thesis , many younger people have never visited a symphony , heard an orchestra and if technology continues
    will never read a book or newspaper. The only music they are aware of is digital , either on a computer or Ipod.
    Going outside to enjoy the blue skies and the glory of life - continue typing in the little screen all you like ...

stage.

The reason for the existance of audio was to recreate music as close
    to the original as posible not add another stage !
    Yanni composes serious works, and plays them, by himself using electronics. He is amazing. You aren't!
    scottyj

Even as a sock Puppet he's boring. Just curious as to what other forum got tired of his &*()?

Yanni composes serious works, and plays them, by himself using electronics. He is amazing. You aren't!
    There you go again , I am not what ?
    I wonder why I can post many time and not attack or make any reference to anyone and you can't ?

If Yanni is someone you enjoy listening wonderful. I prefer someone who
    does not use electronics when performing music. So why the attack and the language .

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Why would you decide that because we listen to one thing today we would not listen to another tomorrow?

We are not supporting your theory because you continue to be unable to read the words we put on the page - for you its either-or, we continue to embrace MANY possibilities.

Why not listen to a symphony one day and a synthesizer another day?
    Why not toscanini today and moondog tomorrow?
    Why not Yanni today and Rosemary Clooney tomorrow, or Patsy Cline the next. Why would you EVER set limits yourself when there is so much grand music available?

If you are unable to appreciate that range of music, thats another thing, but you saying it has no value is a personal belief and is not a truth in any sense. It just shows your narrow perspective. It is your right to have a narrow perspective, just as it is our right to tell you it is narrow.

Going outside to enjoy the blue skies and the glory of life - continue typing in the little screen all you like ...
    Who are you referring to by "we" who are you speaking for ?
    Where did I post that Yanni had no value ?

You are not reading.

Thread Information