Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CROWN PSL-2 (Straight Line Two)

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    Perhaps you could use one house as an Airbnb destination for JBL aficionados. . .
    Easier, and possibly more profitable, to just bulldoze it and sell the property. A 75-year-old un-air-conditioned house with an oil furnace, tiny bedrooms, old windows, and cast-iron radiators is way too expensive to modernize. Still deciding.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Easier, and possibly more profitable, to just bulldoze it and sell the property. A 75-year-old un-air-conditioned house with an oil furnace, tiny bedrooms, old windows, and cast-iron radiators is way too expensive to modernize. Still deciding.
    Sounds like the perfect place to store surplus audio gear and vehicles.

Widget

Indeed. Nothing wrong with the oil furnace either. New chit tends to boast higher efficiency but at the cost of lower service life and costlier repairs. So on paper it looks good but ends up being more expensive over the long run. Radiators are also very allergen friendly and there's no furnace filter to change or ducts to clean out.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc8180 View Post
    haha okie doke, although I might be hesitant to list them for fear my wife will realize what I REALLY have...
    Okay, counting power-amps only, no integrated, no pre-amps, no equalizers, no crossovers, no receivers—just power amps:

Old house

(1) Adcom GFA-535L
    (1) SAE 2400L
    (1) SAE 2600
    (1) Soundcraftsmen Pro-Power-Four
    (1) Crown D-150 (first generation)
    (1) Crown D-75A
    (1) Crown D-150A Series II
    (1) Crown DC-300A Series II
    (6) Crown PS-200
    (2) Crown PS-400

New house

(1) Carver PM 1.5
    (1) JBL/Urei 6260
    (3) Crown D-45
    (3) Crown D-75A
    (1) Crown Power-Line-Three
    (1) Crown PS-200
    (2) Crown PS-400
    (1) Crown Studio Reference-II

So, that looks like around 31 pure power amps? Could be a few more hidden where even I couldn't find them today.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Yep, its NICE to have spares ... quad backups and such -
    Okay, counting power-amps only, no integrated, no pre-amps, no equalizers, no crossovers, no receivers—just power amps:

Old house

(1) Adcom GFA-535L
    (1) SAE 2400L
    (1) SAE 2600
    (1) Crown D-150 (first generation)
    (1) Crown D-75A
    (1) Crown DC-300A Series II
    (6) Crown PS-200
    (2) Crown PS-400

New house

(1) Carver PM 1.5
    (1) JBL/Urei 6260
    (3) Crown D-45
    (3) Crown D-75A
    (1) Crown Power-Line-Three
    (1) Crown PS-200
    (2) Crown PS-400
    (1) Crown Studio Reference-II

So, that looks like around 31 pure power amps? Could be a few more hidden where even I couldn't find them today.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Yep, its NICE to have spares ... quad backups and such -
    When I find something I like, I usually stick with it. Ann and I have been married for 42-years and we lived together for several years before we wed. I've had JBLs in the house for over 65-years, BMWs for over 52, Crowns for even longer than 52, and Soundcraftsmen for something approaching 50-years. And even one McIntosh pre for around 55-years.
    The Soundcraftsmen inventory of pre-amps, pre-receivers, EQs, and pre-EQ is a whole other story . . . !
    Don't ask how many BMWs. Or Victorinox watches, all working! Still have the first one given to me in 1992.

When I find something I like, I usually stick with it...
    I understand completely!

That does't explain the hoarding though.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I understand completely!

That does't explain the hoarding though.
    I suppose to that I could add that when I find an interesting JBL reasonably-local for $200, or less, I just buy it on general principles. Same is true for Crown amps over the years. The most I spent was for my first D150 which I purchased new, and the next D150A-II which was about one-year-old. All the rest were each less than $200, and some were damn near free. If they don't have blue meters, around here that means they are just junk. If that's hoarding, then may the Lord smite me with it and may I never recover!

You may remember that prior to my purchase of the 4345 clones here, my title was "bottom feeder". I think I earned it from a member here who was insulted at the questions I asked before making him an offer on his 4333, as I recall.

You may remember that prior to my purchase of the 4345 clones here, my title was "bottom feeder". I think I earned it from a member here who was insulted at the questions I asked before making him an offer on his 4333, as I recall.
    Bottomfeeder? I don't remember, but then I sometimes forget where I live. Not sure which is worse my long term or short term memory.

Widget

Nice list, plenty of PS amps to go around. I just bought two 400's and they will be enroute shortly. I still need a third, so if you could part with one in a few months, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Nice list, plenty of PS amps to go around. I just bought two 400's and they will be enroute shortly. I still need a third, so if you could part with one in a few months, let me know.
    Some of those PS amps were bought because I liked the color better on some over others. Crown was inconsistent with their black/grey metallic finishes. And some were purchased because I wanted a Crown system where all components had rack handles—and others where I wanted them to match without rack handles. At one time I ended up buying all the PS rack handles Crown had remaining in-stock before they vacated Elkhart.

And at one time I decided the PS amps without the little plastic plate around the "Signal Presence" lights were later versions and sounded better, so . . .

And then I started buying up the PS/ModX adapters for the PS amps to run XLR connectors from my Ashly in the bi-amp systems.

And then some of the knobs on the D-series and PS series amps didn't match exactly with some having triangular pointers and some having lines. Then I bought all of the knobs Crown had in inventory—and even the dummy-knob kits they sold to prevent tampering with settings.

They all sounded like good reasons at the time!

And it's not like some who are no longer here to defend themselves were not role models for me!

Some of those PS amps were bought because I liked the color better on some over others. Crown was inconsistent with their black/grey metallic finishes. And some were purchased because I wanted a Crown system where all components had rack handles—and others where I wanted them to match without rack handles. At one time I ended up buying all the PS rack handles Crown had remaining in-stock before they vacated Elkhart.

And at one time I decided the PS amps without the little plastic plate around the "Signal Presence" lights were later versions and sounded better, so . . .

And then I started buying up the PS/ModX adapters for the PS amps to run XLR connectors from my Ashly in the bi-amp systems.

And then some of the knobs on the D-series and PS series amps didn't match exactly with some having triangular pointers and some having lines. Then I bought all of the knobs Crown had in inventory—and even the dummy-knob kits they sold to prevent tampering with settings.

And it's not like some who are no longer here to defend themselves were not role models for me!
    LoL! That sounds like stuff I'd do, especially about the paint as I did notice some are black and some are this very pretty metallic charcoal color. The PS-200 I bought is the pretty color and now I want my PS-400's to be that color. Originally I wanted the later models as I thought they might sound better as they've got newer internals and I thought the flat face looked better. That's of course before I noticed the color difference. Then I noticed some have rack handles and some don't- I gotta have rack handles! There's one on the bay right now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/354589142955 but it doesn't have handles. Seems like a good deal if you could get it for $400, but no handles and I can't make heads or tails if it's charcoal or black.

Did you ever notice a difference in sound between the early PS and late PS amps?

Do you happen to have a spare set of rack handles? (I might want to snag that PS-400 on the bay if so..)

Do you have any spare MOD/X adaptors???

PS, that neon Crown light is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    LoL! . . .

Did you ever notice a difference in sound between the early PS and late PS amps?

Do you happen to have a spare set of rack handles? (I might want to snag that PS-400 on the bay if so..)

Do you have any spare MOD/X adaptors???

PS, that neon Crown light is awesome.
    I thought I did, but I know I liked the look better so concentrated on the later ones after that. I believe one of my early PS-400s came, or I later added, a pair of handles that were not color matched. I found the appropriate color and posted the paint code on the old Crown Corporate Forum.

I think all I have left are PS-200 handles but I'll check. Those would be new. Most of the early amps with the little plastic piece on the front panel seemed to have handles. Few, if any, of the latter ones did.

I recall buying PS-MOD/X adapters whenever I'd come upon them on Ebay. Haven't checked my spares in a while. Seems like I've been moving from house to house for over four-years and still don't know where half my stuff is!

The photo and that collection are not mine. That came from conversations I had with LH member Tom Loizeaux who is, sadly, no longer with us.

Oh, does that forum still exist?

I appreciate it! Although the audiobux coffer is tapped once again after the purchase of those two PS-400's. I've got to list more of my obsolete gear & sell it. However, if I could get that PS-400 shipped for less than $500, that would be a pretty sweet deal. Then I'd have a spare PS-200 on my hands.

There are quite a few on eBay, but everyone wants around $100 for them. I have seen PS amps listed for sale with the adaptors on them. If a soul needed/wanted both, that's the way to go as the seller usually isn't charging extra for the combo.

That is sad. I've noticed as I browse around here and other forums that some of the members have passed on. Vintage audio doesn't seem to have the appeal vintage cars and such do, so I wonder what will happen to this gear as the custodians of it pass on..

This. This is one of the best things I've read here. Just fabulous! :-D

Thread Information