Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: L300 Summits that need a little work

Well, I couldn't stand seeing these sit and wait for two new rebuilds so i hooked one up for a mono listening session with a Fisher KX-200 tube integrated.

Good Lord. Not sure what I expected but it sounds absolutely magnificent. Much as I hate to admit it, I think it fairly blows away my Model 19's. I know. I didn't think it could get much better. More bass, more sparkle and still golden midrange. I don't know what to think...

I think I better get those LE-85's in.

Quote Originally Posted by intotubes View Post
    Well, I couldn't stand seeing these sit and wait for two new rebuilds so i hooked one up for a mono listening session with a Fisher KX-200 tube integrated.

Good Lord. Not sure what I expected but it sounds absolutely magnificent. Much as I hate to admit it, I think it fairly blows away my Model 19's. I know. I didn't think it could get much better. More bass, more sparkle and still golden midrange. I don't know what to think...

I think I better get those LE-85's in.
    Good Lord, we have another convert! Step back and say "Yes" if you believe...

Based upon the pics, I don't think your going to be able to "fix" your veneer.. I'd bet you end up re-veneering them.

Best of Luck. They are a prize worthy of your finest efforts.

The restoration saga continues...

I needed to remove the L-pads because I couldn't adjust the presence.

I had to remove the foilcal's from the L-pads in order to remove them - the presence (midrange?) pot knobs are both stripped. Now that I have removed the units I can see why. The presence pot is at least twice the physical size of the brilliance pot. They are both stiff and a bit hard to turn. Is this normal?

Is there a supplier of knobs out there? I hate to glue the knob on in case I ever have to remove the pot. If that's my only recourse I may simply leave the knob off.

I also found out that the foilcal's are extremely fragile and susceptible to marking from the putty knife I used. Although the marks are minor, they are noticeable. I will try to smooth them out but take heart in knowing there is a reputable supplier of replica foilcals as gleaned from a previous thread. At any rate I found the "correct" way to remove them easily and without ANY damage is to use a heat gun with a putty knife. They practically fall off.

Quote Originally Posted by intotubes View Post
    Is there a supplier of knobs out there? I hate to glue the knob on in case I ever have to remove the pot. If that's my only recourse I may simply leave the knob off.

I also found out that the foilcal's are extremely fragile and susceptible to marking from the putty knife I used. Although the marks are minor, they are noticeable. I will try to smooth them out but take heart in knowing there is a reputable supplier of replica foilcals as gleaned from a previous thread. At any rate I found the "correct" way to remove them easily and without ANY damage is to use a heat gun with a putty knife. They practically fall off.
    There are people who make reproduction foilcals and knobs. Before the reproduction knobs were available, I sourced them by buying some inexpensive JBL crossovers on eBay from L100s.

If you do a bit of searching you will find all that you need, including info on L-pad maintenance etc.

Widget

Got some "back doors" fab'd

I tried a wood working friend of mine to make the back door I needed. He didin't have the time to get it done so after a month and a half I asked for the original back. He gave it back along with a piece of black walnut to make the top trim pieces. Great! but I still need the work done.

Asked another wood working friend if he could fab a single door and I gave him the original. "Sure", he said. I cannot believe the results. He made me TWO. They are as an exact replica as I could have hoped for. And now I have a spare!

He's going to make the 4 top trim pieces from the black walnut that I now have and I will give him the rest.

Finally, some progress. Check the pics. Pics are of the original and one replica.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Awesome! Can't wait to see how this progresses.

Awesome find !!!

I too am looking forward to seeing your progress.I noticed you thought they sound better than your 19's Let me ask have you ever had the Crossovers in the 19's rebuilt.If not after changing the caps & resistors,make sure you bypass the ground lugs with wire connections,and have the L-Pads cleaned the difference was Night & Day difference completely blew me away in the sound Quality.

But I can't wait to see your progress on such an Awesome vintage speaker what could be better than having a pair of Model 19's and JBL L300's "What Else Could You Ask For" The best of both Worlds.

AWESOME FIND !!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Thread Information