Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is it that pre 1970 speakers so prized today ?

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Not really. People that do not care about sound are pretty much always going to have "crap gear". People that dont care for cars are not going to have a garage full of Ferrari's and people that wear digital watches are not going to go out and buy a Rolex that will last them a lifetime and endure any extreme they can deal to it. And most of the time, people buy crap because that is all they can afford.
    BINGO!

Many people today just do not care about sound. And many people of the past did not care about sound either. NOT every house in the 50,s had Hartsfields. Probably more like 1 out of a few hundred had a Hartsfield.

And people LOVED their portable 8 tracks, then we loved our Portable Sony Walkmans, Then our CD Walkmans, NOW our iPods.

We do the same things all over again, with different products, that have different names, BUT THE SAME PURPOSE!
    scottyj

Back to the original question:

"Why is it that pre 1970 speakers so prized today ?"

I do not care one bit about what anyone else likes, however the reason I like my pre 1970 speakers is that they reproduce a most enjoyable musical experience with my pre 1970 tube amplifiers - mono-block tube regulated Class A P-P 6B4Gs. What other reason is there for prizing a speaker reproduction system than the sound? Nostalgia has little importance to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    Yeah ???/ well i also own a Klipschorn,,,BUT with JBL drivers,, Take that Bullwinkle..
    You are the second person in St.Louis that I am aware of that put JBL
    drivers in a Klipschorn. I listen to a pair about 40 years ago. The sound was excellent.

Klipschorn's problem was poor quality speakers installed. To add JBL speakers greatly increased the price.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    You are the second person in St.Louis that I am aware of that put JBL
    drivers in a Klipschorn. I listen to a pair about 40 years ago. The sound was excellent.

Klipschorn's problem was poor quality speakers installed. To add JBL speakers greatly increased the price.
    Most of the industry thought JBL was on crack for building such high quality drivers. They thought it thoroughly unnecessary. The good news is that JBL now thinks the same thing and sources their drivers from whomever is willing to make them.

Remember that old JBL ad wherein they stated that they'd never settle for 90%. Well they've settled.
    We'll just have to hope that it's at least 90%.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Most of the industry thought JBL was on crack for building such high quality drivers. They thought it thoroughly unnecessary. The good news is that JBL now thinks the same thing and sources their drivers from whomever is willing to make them.

Remember that old JBL ad wherein they stated that they'd never settle for 90%. Well they've settled.
    We'll just have to hope that it's at least 90%.
    Wassa matta you? "HECHO EN MEXICO" not good for you?
    scottyj

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Wassa matta you? "HECHO EN MEXICO" not good for you?
    It was fucking fine right where it was for the last sixtysome years... any other stupid questions I can answer?

Perhaps the best speakers today are better than the best of 30-40 years ago. But many of us think the best speakers of 30-40 years ago sound much better than most audiophile speakers made today.

Would I favor an Altec 19 over a JBL Everest? Perhaps not. Would I favor a 19 over a new audiophile mini speaker, a Magneplanar (ANY Magneplanar) or any number of cone and dome speakers considered modern "high end"? Yes indeed. Indeed, if I had the room for 19s I'd certainly favor them over my new Martin Logans.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    It was fucking fine right where it was for the last sixtysome years... any other stupid questions I can answer?
    No, not today, this answer covers most ground! Thank you very much!

I do somehow get the feeling we will definitely know when we get a driver that was made on Friday!

scottyj

Maron Horonzakz
    I have no are argument with Mexican Quality control of a product,, Ford is doing pretty good there,,, But be warned,, The BEAN COUNTERS in any corp will find a way to reduce cost,, a bolt here a bolt there and before you know it the product will suffer. Is that why TAD is such an outstanding product?

Obsolete
    No, not today, this answer covers most ground! Thank you very much!

I do somehow get the feeling we will definitely know when we get a driver that was made on Friday!

Well, it isn't just that they are no longer manufacturing in the U.S.A.;
    They now source drivers from third party manufacturers just like everyone else.
    Six months ago I had a very heated conversation with one of the guys and he was absolutely livid that he was having to source drivers when JBL used to be able to make anything and everything they needed themselves. He said that he'd been sitting across the table from people telling him that they could offer him turnkey solutions and all he could think about was "JBL used to be turnkey..."

It's just your basic big business bullshit and I'm full up is all... everyone I know is full up...

Seriously, I know what you mean. However, they are doing what they think is best for them, and regardless of whatever we may think, they will still do it, anyway!

Then again, I have already been down this path with other companies going under, or offshore, and I REFUSE to be miserable over anything. LIFE GOES ON, and IF it won't be a JBL, it will be a TAD or whatever. I will always find something GOOD to use!

Of course, IMO, the same people showing "TURNKEY" solutions are also the same people in ten years that some one else will be showing others a "TURNKEY" solution showing whoever, that these folks, themselves are in fact NO LONGER NEEDED. Then they get shown the door. It is an evil cycle, one that that will bite it's creators in the ass just as it has bitten us at the moment.
    scottyj

Obsolete
    Seriously, I know what you mean. However, they are doing what they think is best for them, and regardless of whatever we may think, they will still do it, anyway!

Then again, I have already been down this path with other companies going under, or offshore, and I REFUSE to be miserable over anything. LIFE GOES ON, and IF it won't be a JBL, it will be a TAD or whatever. I will always find something GOOD to use!

Of course, IMO, the same people showing "TURNKEY" solutions are also the same people in ten years that some one else will be showing others a "TURNKEY" solution showing whoever, that these folks, themselves are in fact NO LONGER NEEDED. Then they get shown the door. It is an evil cycle, one that that will bite it's creators in the ass just as it has bitten us at the moment.
    Yep. It's like a death in the family, only so many people are going to be broken up about it. Everyone else has their own problems and life does go on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    I have no are argument with Mexican Quality control of a product,, Ford is doing pretty good there,,,
    It isn't about Mexican or Chinese or Japanese manufacturing, it's about yet another American company chasing cheap/slave labor at the expense of the social fabric of our own country...

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    Perhaps the best speakers today are better than the best of 30-40 years ago. But many of us think the best speakers of 30-40 years ago sound much better than most audiophile speakers made today.

Would I favor an Altec 19 over a JBL Everest? Perhaps not. Would I favor a 19 over a new audiophile mini speaker, a Magneplanar (ANY Magneplanar) or any number of cone and dome speakers considered modern "high end"? Yes indeed. Indeed, if I had the room for 19s I'd certainly favor them over my new Martin Logans.
    The difference is cost ! One can build a Concert Grand , Patrician or Hartsfield , but what about the cost.
    Lansing speakers were built to last , the one's I have are 60 years old !
    The quality was outstanding. Workmanship unbelievable.
    You can get that same quality today , in anything one buys. Is the public willing to pay for it ?
    It will cost much less to manufacture an Everest or Martin Logan than an
    EV Patrician , Paragon or Concert Grand.

They still build Steinway Concert Grand piano's as they did 60 years ago.
    Look at their cost.
    The older piano will perform as well as the new one , but the price difference is unbelievable.

New is not always better , unless new is better , than the cost is also
    better. Examine a Paragon , it's construction , what is made today in audio that matches that quality that cost less than $100,000 ! That is built to last generations !!

Obsolete
    It will cost much less to manufacture an Everest
    I'm not going to buy that one until I dig further. My understanding was that the beautiful E2 box was seriously difficult to get to function correctly with production held up several times until all the issues could be rectified. They might be cheaper now but the front end costs were staggering from what I've heard. I think someone somewhere ate some profit without anything to wash it down with.

The difference is cost ! One can build a Concert Grand , Patrician or Hartsfield , but what about the cost.
    Lansing speakers were built to last , the one's I have are 60 years old !
    The quality was outstanding. Workmanship unbelievable.
    You can get that same quality today , in anything one buys. Is the public willing to pay for it ?
    It will cost much less to manufacture an Everest or Martin Logan than an
    EV Patrician , Paragon or Concert Grand.

They still build Steinway Concert Grand piano's as they did 60 years ago.
    Look at their cost.
    The older piano will perform as well as the new one , but the price difference is unbelievable.

New is not always better , unless new is better , than the cost is also
    better. Examine a Paragon , it's construction , what is made today in audio that matches that quality that cost less than $100,000 ! That is built to last generations !!
    And YOU said it!

YOU state WE can in fact buy the level of quality that was offered years ago, just the cost is prohibitive.

GUESS WHAT? 60 years ago, the cost of Hartsfields and Paragons were prohibitive, then, too. NOT every household had one. NOT every household had a Klipsch corner horn, either. EVERY house DID have a Philco, or whatever brand, RADIO!

Luxury items are exactly that! LUXURY!
    scottyj

Thread Information